IGNORED

Rc Heli's

Eddie

How many guys are into the hobby of these things. My neighbor got me started and Im trying to learn how to fly these things. I bought a Blade CX3 and smashed it a few times and now can fly it a little. Wife bought me a Blade 450 3D for xmas that Im scared to wreck so I bought a Blade MCPX to try some collective pitch flying. This is hard to catch on to let me tell you.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been flying model airplanes for 45+ years and got started into RC helies 15 years ago.

I have or at least have had at least one of almost every size heli made, from the tiny MSR to a big Xcell gasser with a chain saw engine in it for power.

I am also the president of the SWARM (Southeast Wisconsin Area Rotory Modelers) helicopter club.

FWIW

The smaller they are, the harder they are to fly. We recommend a 500 electric or 30 size nitro, or bigger to learn on.

Get a simulator to practice on and find help to get you started. Good help will save you a lot of repair bills.

Good luck, helies are as addictive and more fun than crack.

I've had a Hirobo Shuttle Z for probably 9 or so years now. I think it was old when I got it. I know the radio was. I tried off and on for a couple years to learn how to fly it. All I could do then was hurt myself and till up the yard. Then after much research, I learned a few things were not set up right or just plain bass ackwards. I left it sit for many years intending to give it another go at it, determined not to let a "toy" get the best of me. Now that I'm on my own again, and don't have to give my entire paycheck up to the boss, I plan on dusting it off and doing some upgrades with some NOS from ebay as well as a new radio and servos. Luckily there is a group about 45 minutes from here who can show me how to properly set it up and are willing to give me some lessons. I've always been into gadgets and absolutely love R/C hobbies. My plan is to put a small video camera on it and a couple of those Estes model rockets. Man that would be fun! I already put the camera on my modded EMaxx and sit in the living room in front of the boobtube and go visit the girls next door when their sunbathing. They never figure out where itis coming from.Tee hee... Would that be "creepy", or is it just me?

Here are a couple of pics.

I had a Shuttle once upon a time.

It was good in its day. If you try to learn on it remember that there are very few parts still around for that 15 year old heli.

Yes we do fly in the snow.

Edited by Flyinfool

Cool video Mother, I didnt watch the others yet. From the guys Ive talked to that can fly like that probably could of bought a new venture for what they have in equipment and repairs. I will get a picture up of mine later.

Funny this came up. On monday I had the laptop out. Me and the kids were watching utube videos of r/c heli's, tanks, subs and monster airplanes (not the hobby store variety, much larger scale)

There was one heli that took up pretty much an entire trailer and once he got it out if he would have stood it on its' nose it would have been just as tall if not taller than him. The caption was something about red bull. The guy looked like he was behind some industrial building and I think you could even see another really small one flying around. We bought a double pack from Kohl's for christmas. Nothing that you can really control pitch with. It just flys around wherever it wants put you can rotate it left or right and control it that way (haphazardly). search Josef Schmirls RedBull Cobra

Flyinfool,

Been thinking when the weather warms up I might send my pt-19 to you to look over to see if you can get the engine working since I remember you said you used to or still do line control planes and seemed pretty familiar with the engine.

I'm going to move on to something else if I can't get it going but I haven't given up yet (just for now since it is winter).

Flyinfool,

Been thinking when the weather warms up I might send my pt-19 to you to look over to see if you can get the engine working since I remember you said you used to or still do line control planes and seemed pretty familiar with the engine.

I'm going to move on to something else if I can't get it going but I haven't given up yet (just for now since it is winter).

Bring it on up here. I have yet to run into the engine that I could not find the problem.

Thanks for the pics Jeff now your screen name makes sense. Really shorts and flip flops in the snow. Shouldn't be any need for heated riding gear on the bike. :stickpoke:

And This thread only asked about Helies!!!!!

I have a lot more planes than helies.

I have no heated riding gear.

I am planning on getting me a nice trainer plane to start out with. I want to start with the trainer software, then try to fly it. I have many, many hours on flight sims, and want to give RC planes a try.

My son bought me a nice Nitro RC car (truggy) for Christmas. It was around $350, and is supposed to run 65 MPH. I told him I'm not really into those anymore (he remembers I used to drive them alot...20 years ago). He is ok with me trading it for a plane or two. The problem is finding a store that will trade. I haven't even put fuel in it yet.

I told him I may just buy me a good trainer, and just give the car to him, when he gets back from his deployment.

Here is what he bought me...

http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-8-Scale-Nitro-Professional-Series/Monsoon-XTR

Monty,

I bought this at Menards last year or year before dirt cheap cuz they were clearancing it out. http://teamupnascarrccars.net/Paul_Menards__98_H.html I have some young ones. To say the least it was fun while it lasted. I think all I need is a new receiver.

Jeff,

Might be a long haul from IN to WI. PM me your addy and I will see about shipping it to you. Sounds like you would be able to check it out and maybe even fly it even during winter. Just to warn you it is pretty sticky at this point. Might need a good cleaning 1st and I don't know how to do it properly. I have other engines that I tried cleaning. Thought I did a really good job but just didn't feel right when trying to run them through compression.

Id like to (sarcastically) thank you all for giving me my itch back.I have been into rc stuff for 18 years and sold all my airplane stuff when I bought my first home.No flying fields nearby,ama is so darn expensive anymore.

In the last 5 years I have went from rc truck to car to heli to air planes and have lost a ton of dough everytime I sell them.

Well this thread has started an itch.Tge problem is I will have to buy a used one and lie to the commander.Ill have to say I picked it up really cheap.

So this forum is semi directly to blame for me lying to my wife.