IGNORED

Rc Heli's

Eddie

Fora bunch of years when I was having money issues, most of my planes came out of the trash can at the flying field.

Other people would consider it totaled and throw it away, I would take it home and fix it and show up at the field with it the next week.

After your first crash, don't panic, take it home and look at it logically, no matter how bad it looks, it may still be an easy fix.

Both of my motorcycles were effectively "other peoples trash".

Both are now more than capable of 1000 mile days.

I like yer attitude Jeff.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That radio will most likely be fine for you to get your feet wet.

One big thing to watch for is that it has reduced range. They claim 200 - 400 meters. That is under optimum conditions that are seldom found in the real world. So don't let it get to far away.

Some day when you move up to a full featured radio it will have more than a mile of range and a lot of fine tuning features to make flying easier.

I too noticed that range. The site where I bought it, advertised it had a range of 3000ft.

Hmmm...

Specification:

• Wingspan: 1257.3mm (49.5 inch)
  • Length: 1092.2mm (43 inch)
  • Height: 254mm (10 inch)
  • Flying Weight: 998g (35.2 oz)
  • Drive System: Brushless Outrunner Motor
  • Speed Controller: 20A Brushless Speed Control
  • Servo: All servos are included and pre-mounted
  • Battery: 11.1V 1800mah 3cell 15c Li-Polymer
  • Control System: 2.4GHz Multifunctional Transmitter and Receiver
  • Radio Control Range: 3000 feet (1000m

There's an indoor field they fly in close to me on Tuesday's. Some of these guys have built planes that fly great out of cardboard. I mean a round piece of cardboard with some slits in it and some electronics taped to it. Its funny.

I visited the local hobby store today just to get some advise. What he mentioned was pretty much the same as here. Get involved w/ a local chapter and/or you can get the flight sim software to practice with. The flight sim seems more like a video game which isn't bad. He mentioned that one software version you can battle others online. He flew a Spitfire for me which had guns to shoot and missles to fire.

We went over several planes and options like ready to fly (take it out of the box and fly) vs almost ready to fly (parts are all there and wings are covered just need to put it together w/ some glue). Also went over gas vs. electric. He said with electric it will last about 10 minutes (with the receiver that came with the Super Cub) which with most people by then people are ready to land the airplane and do something else like fly another plane, go get something to drink, etc...He said with gas it will last about 15-20 minutes.

His opinion was the same as here in regards to get a transmittor that is more universal. The Super Cub we looked at had a 2.4, 4 channel spektrum and the transmittor was not specific to just that plane. He said his grandson could fly it 1st time out. His grandson couldn't take off or land but had no problems with flying it. He mentioned that providing the trim is setup properly, if you let go of the controls with the Anti-Crash technology the plane will just level off and continue to fly by itself. He also said the larger the plane the better. He felt the larger planes were easier to fly when you consider factors like the wind. We also looked at a 6 channel spektrum that he said pretty much will fly any plane in the store. Even said there are 10 planes preprogrammed into the receiver. He did mention it could be used for heli's too. Guess spektrum is a pretty common transmittor/receiver combo in this hobby? To get another brand transmittor to fly in those planes was a matter of switching out the receiver to match the brand.

If I had the cash I probably would have gone ahead and bought this one Futaba they had on sale for 50% off. Even at 50% off it was really expensive for me. It was an 8 channel fm transmittor that had (whatever it was) to be able to switch to 2.4 so it could also fly the spektrum receivers too. Doesn't make much sense to me that you can use one brand transmittor with another brand receiver. Maybe I misunderstood. It also came with 4 servos, receiver and a receiver battery(?) and I am sure some other things. One nice bonus is you get a free case with some of the Futaba transmittors. I am sure with the cost of this one, it would have been one of them. I checked the Futaba website and said the case is $60 so maybe that will make it worth spending the extra $$$? He also said the one they have on sale is an older model.

So one question I have is are there receivers that work with multiple transmittors or vice versa.

All in all I think I walked away with some good info.

Edited by Sideoftheroad

All of the different brands have their own language to speak between the transmitter and receiver. now some of the older transmitters like the FM Futaba use a RF module, by switching modules you can have Futaba FM, Futaba 2.4, or JR/Spectrum 2.4. I know it is confusing. In this hobby like everything else, there are pros and cons to everything.

My recommendation still stands to get at least 7 channels. If you get a 6 channel you will not have the option of going with a fueled helicopter.

Feel free to ask here before you buy to see if what you are looking at is worth the expense.

How many receivers typically come with the planes?

Since the Futaba transmitter that I was looking at already came with a receiver and the guy made the comment the planes they have come with spectrum receivers would I only need to switch 1 receiver for another or do planes come with multiple receivers?

He did mention with the FM mode the problem is if you are at a field where someone is already flying and also using FM, you would have to wait until they are done so you can fly or else it will cause interference and you wouldn't be able to fly the plane.

Am I to take the comment that with the correct module you can use a Futaba transmittor with a spectrum receiver?

by switching modules you can have Futaba FM, Futaba 2.4, or JR/Spectrum 2.4.

How many receivers typically come with the planes?

Since the Futaba transmitter that I was looking at already came with a receiver and the guy made the comment the planes they have come with spectrum receivers would I only need to switch 1 receiver for another or do planes come with multiple receivers?

He did mention with the FM mode the problem is if you are at a field where someone is already flying and also using FM, you would have to wait until they are done so you can fly or else it will cause interference and you wouldn't be able to fly the plane.

Am I to take the comment that with the correct module you can use a Futaba transmittor with a spectrum receiver?

If you buy a complete kit .. with motor and radio, then yes, the receiver is included.

However .... Most planes come with just the airframe, maybe with a gas tank installed and you buy the motor and radio gear separately.

When you buy the radio kit it will have the appropriate receiver and maybe four servos too. The servos are all different qualities and types, but they work with any radio.

If you bought a complete kit and later upgraded the radio, you would only need to change the receiver in the plane, the servos already installed should work with the new radio.

If you can afford a good 7-Channel radio then it will be a long time before you need another ... and eBay, and probably Craigslist is full of secondhand radios.

Usual "caveat emptor" applies.

Servos are just the electric motors that are attached by links to control surfaces to make them move.The ones that come with the transmitter are a medium grade too bulky for light aurcraft and gliders but not strong enough for larger faster ones needing quicker stronger servos. the receiver is just the unit that relays your transmitter signals to the respective servo. You will usually by extra servos and recievers for each plane you buy unless you plan on removing it all .

Rule of thumb is to buy the best transmitter you can afford because a good one can program trim settings, servo mixxing and proportional movent for each airplane/heli.A good one will be with you t hg rough many planes.

Fm transmitters use crystals which give it its chanel. You can possibly have 10 airplanes in the sky at thee same time if each one is on a different chanel. My old club had a rule of installing batteries when you get to the field once verified radio was off and chanel wasnt in use.

A board in center pit had all xhanels written on a clip. If the chanel clip wasnt on the board it meant someone was probably using it. The old timers with FM usually carry a few crystals so they could have a free xganel anytime.

I bought both of these today for $175. The larger one is a scratch built, made out of balsa wood. It came with the futaba 7 channel receiver, all the servos, 4 nitro engines, 3 props, and several other misc. parts.

The smaller one is a RTF trainer.

Both came with FM radios.

Did I get a good deal?:happy34:

I have a lever to make it ascend, and another lever that makes it either turn left or right, or makes it go in forward or reverse. It works pretty good, although the tail rotor is used for the fwd/rev....not like a real one.. Still fun...but my dog won't come near me...lol.

I have someone offer me $80+shipping for a blade cx2. Comes with extra blades, 3 batteries, the base thing to add stability and i guess it softens landings too, heli & transmitter. I have been focusing on a transmitter 1st and Jeff mentioned to me you can get a new BNF cx for $60. Which if I wanted a heli, I would want a BNF since I want to hand pick my transmitter. I suppose for the right price I would consider it still and still hand pick a transmitter. Just not sure $80+shipping is the right price for me.