IGNORED

What's the next best mod?

lshafer

It's a bit early in Wisconsin to be thinking about getting back out on the bike, but here I am trying to figure out what I can do to it, for it and with it. My question is this...

What is the next best addition (or two :whistling:) I can make to my bike in the way of both performance and also safety chrome. Below is what I've done so far:

Performance -

K&N filters

Road King exhaust (completely open)

Re-jetted with larger jets and carbs balanced

Elite 3 tires front and back

Rick Butler Seat Mod

Safety Chrome -

Fender Chrome

Saddle bag rails

Saddle bag trim (top of bag)

Passing lights

Flanders bars

Kuryakyn ISO grips

Kuryakyn highway pegs

I'm looking for the NEXT BIG THING. I love working on the bike and making it more interesting and fun and of course, my own. Any ideas would be great and pictures of your mods would be wonderful. Let's get those ideas out there and keep 'em coming.

It's time we all start thinking about spending some money!!! :stirthepot:

Edited by lshafer

I think that the Royal Star is a beautiful platform to add stuff to.I Put the visors on my passing lights and front and rear turnsignals. The Diamond R light bars ad a beautiful touch to the bottom of the bags. If you can find a set the chrome billet carb covers that go between the carbs add a real finished look to that area as well as adding the lower covers between the v.The cover over the rear brake master cyclinder is nice. I also added the chrome clutch/brake levers and I found on ebay a set or clutch/brake covers that said Royal Star on them. Barons also makes a waterpump cover and an alternator cover in chrome and etched with V4.Chasing all that should pass some interesting time for you and who knows what else you may find.

I also had the bike pinstriped.I am lucky enough to live 10 miles from Ed Roths home and museum in Manti Ut.Every year there is an Ed Roth celebration in June and lots of airbrush artists and pinstripers are in town.You may have to look a little harder to find one in your area.Google may help.

Enjoy:cool10:

+1 vote on the Stebel horn.

Look at Custom Dynamics. I replaced my brake light with the 100 LED cluster and also the rear turn signals to be signal/run/brake light. I did a write up on the install. Talk about lighting up the rear ! That way the 1st Gen'ers can see you disappear into the distance in front of them !!! :stirthepot:

Displaying the colours with a flag is good with either a trunk rack mounted pole or saddle bag rail mount. Just watch the diameter of the rail before buying the mount.

And I really don't care which Gen is faster... not how fast you get there but that you do get there in one piece and enjoy the ride !

Adding the Stebel horn, my bracket and wiring harness, crash bar braces. Custom Dynamics LED tail light cluster & under trunk LED light for more light in back. Change out the reflectors for LED lights. Accent lighting on the bike.

Service the bikes rear wheel drive pins & drive shaft.

Larry

The best winter mod I've done was the Vmax rear gear swap. It makes a world of difference in the performance and only 300 bucks.

This is one I've been thinking pretty seriously about but am a bit worried about the noise from the motor. I sometimes already feel like the engine is reving too hard and this would only make it worse. (I know, I know - you can't hurt it but it's just a noise thing for me!!) I wonder if changing the rear gear and installing a tach would make me feel better?

Are there any thoughts out there for a good tachometer for the RSTD. I like the looks of the analog vs digital but ultimatley functionality is the key.

Thoughts please...

I'd have to change the stator if I want to add LEDs, correct? I'd like to put LEDs on it but I'm not good with electrical stuff.

As mentioned, LEDs draw very little power. You could even save power by converting all of the incandescents to all LEDs.

LEDs are very easy to hook up, there are just 2 wires, a positive and a ground. If you hook them up backwards, nothing bad happens, they just don't light up. Reverse the wires and you are good to go.

You can never have to many lights. I have already added 170 LEDs and still have another 600 LEDs to find places for. :big-grin-emoticon:

Les,

My first suggestion would be those items that are functional. So my reccomendations would be:

1. Saddlebag Rails

2. Front Fender Rail

3. Running (passing) Lights

4. Extra running & brake lights on the rear

5. Stebel Nautilus (or Wolo) air horn

Items 1 & 2 help protect the bike from dings and also just seem to complete the bike and

Items 3 & 4 allow others to better see you coming from the front and going away from the rear.

Item 5 gives you the functionality to wake up drivers to keep them from coming into you.

Hope this helps,

Rick

It's a bit early in Wisconsin to be thinking about getting back out on the bike, but here I am trying to figure out what I can do to it, for it and with it. My question is this...

What is the next best addition (or two :whistling:) I can make to my bike in the way of both performance and also safety chrome. Below is what I've done so far:

Performance -

K&N filters

Road King exhaust (completely open)

Re-jetted with larger jets and carbs balanced

Elite 3 tires front and back

Rick Butler Seat Mod

Safety Chrome -

Fender Chrome

Saddle bag rails

Saddle bag trim (top of bag)

Passing lights

Flanders bars

Kuryakyn ISO grips

Kuryakyn highway pegs

I'm looking for the NEXT BIG THING. I love working on the bike and making it more interesting and fun and of course, my own. Any ideas would be great and pictures of your mods would be wonderful. Let's get those ideas out there and keep 'em coming.

It's time we all start thinking about spending some money!!! :stirthepot: