IGNORED

dmv sent me a letter

oldgoat

ok i did not register my venture this year. i just forgot.

got a letter to day from IL dmv saying that my motorcyle will soon not be in the system

has it been wrecked or sold? i have untill end of dec. to get the tags. or the bike will be considerd off the road?

i thought if i wasent ridding it i could just let the registration go a year? guess not?:whistling:

I wouldn`t worry about it, when ever you get ready to get it back on the road just tell them that it been having the motor rebuilt and has been in the shop... their just trying to up there revenue..

Good luck

ok i did not register my venture this year. i just forgot.

got a letter to day from IL dmv saying that my motorcyle will soon not be in the system

has it been wrecked or sold? i have untill end of dec. to get the tags. or the bike will be considerd off the road?

i thought if i wasent ridding it i could just let the registration go a year? guess not?:whistling:

I got a letter from Minnesota's DMV when I bought my v 65 magna saying the vin. didn't match their records. So I thought "did I buy a stolen bike"? I had asked my bride to register the bike for me and told her the numbers are on the motor and they have numerals and letters . The DMV had the vin. # 1N23456 as it turns out that's the shifting pattern of a 1983 v 65 Magna,and you get that off the left side. got to love her. :rotf:

Edited by bill in mn

When I put plates on my 83 Venture I always get a letter saying the serial number isn't right and the bike doesn't exist. Each year I have to go down and show them the serial number despite the fact it ws registered yast year and the year before and the year before that and so on. No big deal here if you let your plates expire.

In Michigan, if youre late getting your tags, there is an extra charge, I believe ten bux. But if you never re register that plate, you can transfer a plate from another bike if you have one, and its just the eight dollar transfer fee. If you ask me, its just about getting the money.

For once we have one up on you Yanks.:dancefool:.....If we don't want to ride for a year or 10 we just don't renew. When you decide to ride again you renew, unless you cross the ten year line then the bike has to reinspected by a mechanic and a safety certificate issued. Although now that I think about it :think: I can't remember if that was an MTO requirement or an Insurance company requirement , I think it was the later.... However I would still prefer to pay you insurance rates and put up with your DMV headache then pay ours :bang head:

Here in California a vehicle has ever lasting life. Well at least 7 years. That's how long it takes before the vehicle/boat falls out of the system. The kicker is that if anyone even inquires about it during that 7 year period the clock starts all over again. All the while the vehicle is accruing fines and penalties. This is one of the big problems faced when buying a non-runing garage queen. Unless the previous owner has non-opted... yes there is light at the end of the tunnel.... the bike may cost a ton in fines, more than the bike is worth.... besides maintenence..., to get it back on the road. However if the owner was smart enough to non-op it it takes very little to get it registered. Unfortunately most let them sit and amass big bucks, and the bike becomes worthless, or a parts bike, and all it would have taken is a one time $10 fee to non-op.

well thanks evey one im thinking. first of the month go and get the tags. the bike runs. just health problems keep me off it. and if i want to sell it next summer. it would look good with up to date tags. that way the new owner knows it will need some maintenance to get it running better. you can drive it home. it just looks ugly. LOL

randy r thats a good question. but since its stored out side behind my place. and the insurance only cost me $170 for a whole year full coverage. and my daughter paid the whole year for me. and i live by a verry rowdy tavern. i thought why not? but in febuary when the insurance expires. im thinking maybe i can get some kind of storage insurance? you know these are now classics and like all classic things ya need$$$ to get them back in great shape. if i was in better health i would not be afraid to drive it anywhere. as long as i have tools and the venture list so if she breaks down i have help on the way.