IGNORED

Am I Crazy?

skajs

Ok folks,

I think I may be outa my mind. I am a scooter rider (SYM RV250) and wish to upgrade and get more power and do a bit our touring with my wife.

Am I biting off more than I can chew by looking to ride this big-boys bike? My only experience with a clutch bike was the Highway Patrol's safety course. I have been riding my scooter for 6 months.

Should I be looking at something a bit smaller and work my way up to this bike?

Thanks

Ken

My husband took the MSF in April, his 1st bike was a dual sport bike (abt a 250cc) in the class. He went to a Suzuki volusia intruder 800cc bike as his 1st bike after the class. He's doing fine with it as a daily bike with some day trips and we just did the Vogel rally last week. It's a good daily bike that can do some longer trips, but the Ventures and the like are the best there are for touring. We learned we can't really pack for a week AND fit camping gear on the bike easily. My vote is go with a bike that's in the 800cc range as a step up and next year look at a Venture as a touring bike. Remember too that the Ventures will be difficult to navigate parking lots by comparison to your scooter. Good luck with your choice.

CRAZY??? WHO?? I started on a Honda 50. I thought it was a Motorcycle. Lot of Sleds between that one and my 1st Venture. Without experience I would hesitate to climb on a Venture. They are heavy.On the road they handle like a dream. But you have to get them on the road.....

Ok folks,

I think I may be outa my mind. I am a scooter rider (SYM RV250) and wish to upgrade and get more power and do a bit our touring with my wife.

Am I biting off more than I can chew by looking to ride this big-boys bike? My only experience with a clutch bike was the Highway Patrol's safety course. I have been riding my scooter for 6 months.

Thanks

Ken

First off, there is nothing particularly difficult about using a clutch and shifting gears. It just take a little coordination and practice to get the hang of it.

If your intention is to keep your scooter for a daily rider around town and get a bike for touring then the Venture is a good choice. They are comfortable, dependable and can pack a lot of stuff. With only 6 months experience on two wheels you will likely find it very difficult to handle in stop and go traffic. A bike such as the Venture is not a very good choice for riding around town because it is not only heavy, but top heavy which makes it unforgiving when stopping and moving slowly as in parking lot maneuvering. Adding a passenger and a few hundred pounds of gear makes it even more difficult. On the other hand, when moving at 20 mph or more big bike will handle just about as easily as your scooter.

The same riding techniques are used on two wheels no matter what bike you are riding. The main difference in handling is in the balance due to centre of gravity and the power to weight ratio of the bikes. The size of the engine is not very relevant as there are quite a number of bikes in the 650 to 800 cc range that have twice the power of the 1300 cc Venture and weigh half as much. You can get yourself into trouble very quickly on the more powerful bikes.

The answer to your question has a lot of "it depends" in it. Essentially, in my opinion at least, if you want to do some 2 up touring don't bother getting a smaller bike and working up but keep your scooter and get the big bike. Then practice for a year or however long it takes to get competent before taking the one you love out for a spin.

1st gens are about 750 curb weight.

They are not really a beginner's big bike.

They handle somewhat like a beached whale at low speed maneuvering, and they are to much bike to kick back up with your leg. Once they start going, they are down. You add the riders weight, a passenger and junk in the trunk, they can hit above 1100 lbs easily.

At cruising speed they are an excellent maneuvering bike.

You need to watch where you park them, you don't want to pull into a parking space that is angled down and expect to walk the bike back up out of it. They sit up fairly high and some people that are on the shorter side can not sit flat footed on them

Gary

You could go off in a slightly different direction with something like a Suzuki Burgman 650. It has the power to handle two up touring, with a surprising amount of built-in storage space and a CVT. It would be a good way to get some touring experience to decide if you actually enjoy the experience and you can get a used one in very good condition for a reasonable price. It is not a Venture Royale or a Royal Star Venture, but it also won't have the weight, complexity and low speed handling challenges. As has been mentioned in the other posts, going from a scooter to a full size touring bike can be an intimidating experience. Some have done it and enjoyed the experience ...others have gotten right out of motorcycling after doing it. As well, the Burgman would give you some experience with a heavier machine, without going to extreme limits.

Just a thought!

Andy

CRAZY??? WHO?? I started on a Honda 50. I thought it was a Motorcycle. Lot of Sleds between that one and my 1st Venture. Without experience I would hesitate to climb on a Venture. They are heavy.On the road they handle like a dream. But you have to get them on the road.....
I started sooner then that....1st a four wheeler PRAM.

From there I went to a tricycle, next a two wheeler {w/o training wheels:Avatars_Gee_George:}

Then the 50 honda and so on.:big-grin-emoticon:

Take a good look at a Suzuki Boulevard C50.....It sits low and is very comfortable riding 2 -up. Depending on your riding time, your experience level, and confidence level, you should be ready for the Venture within a year or so. Yes the C50 is NOT a touring bike but IMHO its a step in the right direction.....and a brandy-new one won't break your bank.

Boomer.....who sez when it comes to scoots bigger is NOT always better for a Novice.:whistling:

I think this is much too big a bike and way too top heavy and difficult to maneuver at slow speeds. Mike just went from a Shadow ACE Tourer 1100 to this bike, the Venture, and found it a tad touchy the first few trips out - and he's been driving for well over ten years.

I'd recommend you not necessarily get a smaller engine bike but one that has a lower center of gravity and is very well balanced and drive that for a year or two until you are really used to driving a very heavy bike. As some have said, when these bikes start to go down, you aren't going to stop it. We had to pick ours up last week and the two of us could JUST do it. They're HEAVY!

Best bet, of course, would be to go to a local bike shop and see if you can test drive some bikes. Then you can see what they feel like, how they're like to maneuver, etc.

I'd definitely say this is NOT a beginner's bike.

Ken,

I'll be totally honest here, a 2nd gen Venture can be as much as 900 lbs. They are an extreme handful to an inexperienced rider. I dont mean to get personal, and my statements aren't aimed at everyone. I am a big guy right at 6 ft and 290 lbs, I can still find the RSV a handful and I have been riding for 30 years.

I would absolutely get something smaller and learn how to drive with the clutch. It's not hard, but it does take practice, and you surely dont want to get you and momma on a bike and NOT have the experience to be able to make it do what you want or NEED it to do in any given situation. Plenty of cruisers out there that can comfortably ride 2 folks and have some storage. My advice to you is, NO dont jump right into a Venture. We'd love to see you on one, but we also want you to be able to safely ride it, for your sake and ours should any of us meet up :2cents:

Dan has a vaild point on the weight. Hubby's bike weighs about 600lbs, add my weight, abt 200lbs and it gets heavier, and I think the Ventures weigh close to 1000lbs.

if you no how to counter-weigh the bike, in a parking lot, then the bike really isn't that big a deal. But if your shy about the over all, bulkiness of this machine. then start with something in a lower weight class. and yes the 800, Is a great all around bike, wind shield, bags, and your on the road. and better gas mileage.I started on a 185, moved up to a 400, then 750, to a CBX, then a goldwing (8 years off) the Yamaha Roadstar 1800 Great for two up about $8,000-ish. then back to a Venture. and next back to a Goldwing

My first ride was a Kawasaki 305 LTD for about 4 years, then a Virago 1100 for 12 years. I'd have to say a 650cc until you are comfortable, then test ride a Venture after a couple years of experience.

I'll admit even with my years of riding there are moments on the Venture.

Don't rush!

I started sooner then that....1st a four wheeler PRAM.

From there I went to a tricycle, next a two wheeler {w/o training wheels:Avatars_Gee_George:}

Then the 50 honda and so on.:big-grin-emoticon:

I didn't mention the old Indian I pushed uphill to ride down or all the bicycles I built or when I ruled the country on a skateboard.......

+1 on the Burgman!!!

That is what got me back on 2 wheels after a 20 or so year break. After riding it for about 3 years I moved up to a 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic. When I did I thought it was a MONSTER and wondered what I had done. I'm 5'6" and have a 27" inseam. Well I finally got used to the monster, but thought I really want a Venture for all the "bells and whistles". So I found my RSV in Kentucky and went to get it without ever even having sat on one. When I bought it I was under the mistaken impression that the RSTC and the RSV were the same seat height. Well I found out real quickly that I was wrong!!! The RSV is much taller.

That being said leads me to say that, in my opinion, the RSV is definitely NOT a beginner bike! Also depending on your size, it may not be for you. I've had mine for two years and 17,000 miles now and last week at Vogel it reminded me twice just who is boss.

As mentioned in a previous post once one of these top heavy beasts leans over so far, unless you wear blue tights with a red "S" on the chest, the bike is going down. Just get out from under it!!!

What ever your choice is, Take it slow and PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE!!!

As mentioned in a previous post once one of these top heavy beasts leans over so far, unless you wear blue tights with a red "S" on the chest, the bike is going down. Just get out from under it!!!

What ever your choice is, Take it slow and PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE!!!

I tried wearing blue tights and a shirt with a red "S" on it and I still couldn't lift it myself. And then the Harley guys chased me out of town!

Andy

I've got to agree with the guys above. A Venture is a BIG HEAVY motorcycle. To go from a little 250 scooter to such a machine is an invitation to trouble in my opinion. You need to remember that it was not very many years ago that the "big" "hot" motorcycles, you know the "experts machines" were a 650 Bonnieville and an 883 XLCH Sportster...no these are routinely called "beginner" bikes. Sorry, I just don't buy it. The average beginner today is no smarter/safer than the average guy was 40 years ago. I KNOW for a fact if I'd had a machine with the power of a Wing or Venture right off the bat I'd have been in Serious trouble (and I think most other guys would as well). You need to start small and work up to a bigger machine. Find a good used small/medium cruiser (800 susi volusia, 650 yam silverado etc. OR a "standard" of 500-650cc, learn it, get comfortable with it and THEN move up to a larger, heavier and more powerful machine. Let's face it, the middleweights we're talking about herehave 50-60 horsepower and will haul you down the road at extralegal speeds all day. I've got a "little" 650 BMW Dakar that "only" has 52 horsepower, put it will cheerfully run down the highway, two up, at 90 mph for as long as you want to hold it there!. Back in "the day" only the hottest bikes would break the ton, now any middleweight and most lightweight (250 Saki Ninja) will do it. LEARN to ride safely, THEN get your tourer!:backinmyday:

Ok folks,

Thanks

Ken

No Guts No Glory

I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years with my biggest before this being an old kz1000. Had the venture for a month and it's been an eye opener. And it's not just the venture. Some of the HD's have the same issues. Everything that makes the Venture a dream on the highway makes it work at slow speeds. Get the 750-900 class bike and learn things like couterbalance, clutch and rear brake use for slow speed etc.

Zinger

I think a smaller bike would be better until you get some practice but CC size is not what you should look at. Overall and weight distribution is more important, and it also depends on your size. If you are taller then it will be better.

Lots of good points about cruisers and the virago all good choices. May be a good way to go for a year or two.

Welcome and good luck with your choice

Brad

You all have been terrific - I guess I was looking for people to convince me and confirm my concerns. I guess If I had to ask - it's too much bike for me; right now!

I appriciate all your answers and love for biking! Thanks for you your honesty and concern for my safety.

Some day, we will pass on the road and I will wave to you from my Venture.

Happy two-wheeling

Ken