IGNORED

First Aid Kit

Dmnordin

I want to get a first aid kit together sometime soon to keep packed somewhere in my 1st Gen.

Who keeps one on their bike? what do you have in it? have you ever used it?

I see a lot of alternatives on the web - a lot of kits already put together - don't know if that's more cost effective or not. I have no idea of what I would need in a kit - kind of mind boggling to see what's out there and what they include.

Thanks,

Doug

We carry a smal automotive first aid kit in the side bag. When we go somewhere to stay overnight, my c-pap machine takes up the rest of the room. I think we got it at the local Dollar General store fairly low priced. Haven't had to use it yet, but nice to know it is there.

Dave

I never leave home without mine. I bought one in a soft zippered case and dumped out the bandaids and and minor stuff for the little scratches. Refilled it with rolls of gause and surgical tape along with anything that would treat an open wound or burn. And a small sewing kit. Well, I've closed cuts before with a needle and thread. And Crazy Glue.

I figure if I'm involved it a crash it's not a scratch I'm going to be dealing with.

I mean this is a "Just in Case Kit" right.

Yep. Got to use mine a couple of weeks ago. I got hit by a car in a WalMart parking lot a couple of weeks ago. Or rather by a piece of a car as far as I could tell. I was walking though the lot and a car was coming at me and as it passed I felt a sting on my left leg. Looked down and saw my jeans were flapping open just below the knee. Turned around and saw the car that passed me had a piece of trim sticking out from the side about 2 foot. Looked back at my leg and saw the blood soaking into my jeans. Pulled the pants leg up and I had a 4 inch long gash on my shin where the trim had slapped me.

Back to the bike and pulled the kit and cleaned it up, put a few butterfly bandaids and wrapped it. Made a point of stopping at the Docs office on the way home to get fresh tetnus shot.

Without the kit I would have been a bloody mess before I got home. I sure wasn't gettin any help from anyone at Wally World or any passerbys. All I got was a few weird looks and people changed directions. Maybe it was my language and not the blood. Ya never know.

You got to be ready to take care of your own. Any time...any place.

Mike

I wouldn't waste the money on a generic first aid kit. A reg size bank bag (tool bag) with some large tampoons (great for sucking up/clogging blood on big wounds), roll of medical tape, long piece of cloth for a tourniquet, some hydrogen peroxide if you got room or equivalent, maybe some band-aids, something for exhaust burns and a bottle of pain medication.

I'm sure I forgot something....

Three bandaids and a roll of duct tape will fix almost anything fixable. If it's much worse than that, you're not going to fix it on the side of the road anyway.

I carry three bandaids and a roll of duct tape. Of course I also carry sun screen and water and some Ibuprofen along with a couple of very sharp knives, but that's not really first aid stuff.

:255: :223:

Take a look at this...small and effective

It is trauma kit for motorcycle injuries... Got a lot a good stuff you made need in a major accident..not just bandaids and antiseptic. Injuries such as road rash, minor impalement, penetrating chest injuries, and major bleeding. MilSpec stuff that is battle tested...

Kinda pricey but what is your life worth?

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/cav-armsibtkindividualbikerstraumakit.aspx

Keep it very simple, some bandaids, alcohol wipes, a few 4x4's, some gauze, tape, burn ointment, tweezers (in case you got pick some glass or rocks out of your skin), one large trauma pad, and an emergency blanket...keep it nice and small...no need for much else

I carry a first aid kit similar to the trauma kit of items I put together based on getting more severe injury's. Rolls of guaze, packets of field dressings (or compression bandages). cloth sling (useful for maney types of injury's), a wire splint, long steri-strips, needle and thread, small sharp folding knife, a roll of black electrical tape (working as a mechanic for years I found it sticks and stay's in place in wet or greasy conditions better than any other type of tape and is less bulky than duct tape), and a small mouth to mouth face sheild (the plastic type you can stick in your wallet), I also carry a second small band aid kit, for small cuts that just wont stop leaking (more for the benifit of others who prefer not to see blood running down your hand dripping on everything, sort of thing).

Doug - I carry a kit, well home-made up kit, in my bag for cuts, stopping blood flow, sharp leather knife to cut off the rest of the boot or jacket, a folder thermal blanket (seems thin but works wonders)

my 2 cents are there are two things to remember:

only carry what you know how to and are willing to use

always check the equipment in the kit the same as you check your bike, medical tape can get "bad" when left in saddle bags just as wipes dry up and meds expire

I also often take along my EpiPen for bee bites which for me, could be fatal. After reading all the posts, I am inclined to leave it in the bike along with a new first aid kit rather than try to remember it. Also, Marcarl and Wizard made a good point on our ride to MD. They said be sure to tell others on the ride that I am carrying an EpiPen and where to find it.

As you can see.....it seems there are 2 basic thoughts.

1. minor medical supplies: band aids, aspirin, afterbite, etc
  2. Major medical suppplies: Large bandages, sewing supplies, crazy glue to close wound (did you know that was the original intention when they invented it during WWII?)

I guess it boils down to what degree you want to be prepaired for!

Either way...something I never even thought about....so thanks for bringing it up!

:thumbsup:

Yep , I have one , 9.97 wally world , always on sale in the drug section .

Its funny , i never thought about it until somebody brought it up here a couple of years ago . started to carry one and use it all the time now , think about it , how many times do you need a bandaid and its great to have some antibiotic suave . I have used it at work because the bike was closer than the shop med kit and i need it fast ! It is kinda nice to know if the bike is near , the 1st aid kit is near . i keep it in 1 unlocked side bag with the cheap stuff , sometimes it is hard to find the keys in a hurry !

Hi All

Along with the other things that were listed I would say A CPR mask for ging ventilaions would be good also. If your not trained you should be. Never know when you may need it for frends or family. Also disposable gloves your size several pairs in a zip lock bag.

Bull463

I was on a blood thinner last summer due to a pulmonary embolism.

I started carrying a couple of cheap tourniquets I got the doctors office when I had my blood tested.

Thought they might come in handy, with the blood thinners, bleeding is tough to stop.

Gary

You should add some eye drops to your kit. Even though most folks wear riding glasses you can still get small stuff in your eye. I know this by experience, sand can get anywhere. Get the just a saline solution to wash out debris.

I also often take along my EpiPen for bee bites which for me, could be fatal. After reading all the posts, I am inclined to leave it in the bike along with a new first aid kit rather than try to remember it. Also, Marcarl and Wizard made a good point on our ride to MD. They said be sure to tell others on the ride that I am carrying an EpiPen and where to find it.

This is an important point, You should have anything special that you may need for any specific medical issue that you may have. Be it an epi-pen or nitro pills or any other med that you may need to take on a regular basis, and just cant live without, for those times when things do not go per plan, like an unexpected over nite. Make sure to rotate the meds that you keep on the bike so that they will be effective when needed.