IGNORED

Quick ride 'round the block=400 miles later + Angry message from her b/f

LilBeaver

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

We actually had a blast of 'cool'(er-ish) air on Sunday and Monday so I took advantage of it on Monday and boogied on out for a ride. My friend has been continually getting better and has made a handful of short trips on her bike (ie. grocery store, fabric store, etc) and felt like it was time for a decent ride.

We met up around 10 and took off for a moderate spin around. Starting off it was a bit cool (compared to normal) but boy did it feel great. Temps were in the upper 50s or low 60s when we started and mid 70s when we finished. Other than the ridiculous wind, it was beautiful out. We only rode ~170 miles but it was nice. I made a point to stop a few times to make sure she was doing alright. and around 100 miles into it she did say she was starting to get a little sore. So we took a few minutes for her to rest then rode another ~50 where we took an ice cream break and ended up chatting for upwards of 1-2 hours (I didn't really keep track of time). We then rode back to her place and chatted again for another half hour or hour or so. Some about bikes and some about other stuff. She asked about tires and other PM type things she should be worrying about (her rear is almost down to the wear bars).

All in all it was a great day, great ride and good company. I was home by about 5.

:thumbsup2::Venture:

Hopefully she won't ride out of her comfort zone again no matter who she's with or what they want. People who ask others to ride in places/ways they are uncomfortable with really tick me off. You should always respect other's limits, especially with a brand new driver (basically).

I'm so glad she was all right and is riding again.

Sounds like you've made a really good friend who loves bikes as much as you do.

You sure do work a lot and travel a lot. Glad you can get out and relax when you get home and nothing better than doing it with a friend. :)

Hopefully she won't ride out of her comfort zone again no matter who she's with or what they want. People who ask others to ride in places/ways they are uncomfortable with really tick me off. You should always respect other's limits, especially with a brand new driver (basically).

I'm so glad she was all right and is riding again.

Sounds like you've made a really good friend who loves bikes as much as you do.

You sure do work a lot and travel a lot. Glad you can get out and relax when you get home and nothing better than doing it with a friend. :)

:sign yeah that:

When riding other than by yourself one should always ride within the limits of the weakest rider, and without scorn, knowing you yourself (you as in general terms) were once in their shoes and and like yourself they too will improve with time and experience.

On a possibly slightly harsher note a slight survivable wipe out is always good for ones inteligence, and teaches one a little respect for the toy or tool they are handling. The school of hard knocks can be a very memorable teacher, provided the leason is not too extreme, which sadly happens all too often.

• 2 weeks later...

Well she came over today and I walked her through how to pull off the rear wheel (she does not have a garage, the tools or the know how - but we found a service manual and worked through it). She has a tire on order and should be in within the next couple of days. We have a ~550 mile ride tentatively planned for 'soon-ish' (I will fill in the details after it happens) in an area suggested by a fellow member here whether he/she knows it or not (thanks for the video of those roads, by the way - looking forward to some of that riding :thumbsup2:). After getting her rear wheel off we talked about how nice of a day it was and unfortunate it is that she wasn't able to ride much so long story short my RSV got some exercise today... Only about 120 miles worth though. We had a rather long talk about riding and this upcoming planned ride (whether she wants to drive herself or ride with me), making sure that she stays in her comfort zone and that I don't push her out of that on the bike and whatnot. She has ridden around 400 miles in a single day on her own before so she is pretty sure that she can handle it just fine but she is going to put a lot of serious thought into it some more and we'll talk again well before we go. I am pretty sure she is leaning towards just riding this one with me since it will be such a long day and we can do some progressively longer rides to build up to going again some other time.

Anyways, all is well. Still friends and still don't intend to push that anywhere else. 'Riding buddies' and friends works just fine for me. I don't need any drama right now.

:sign yeah that:

On a possibly slightly harsher note a slight survivable wipe out is always good for ones inteligence, and teaches one a little respect for the toy or tool they are handling. The school of hard knocks can be a very memorable teacher, provided the leason is not too extreme, which sadly happens all too often.

Agreed, for sure. She actually talked a lot about this today while we were riding and asked lots of questions about how to handle certain riding situations, suggestions on ways to be better prepared for them, etc etc. She also mentioned (in so many words) that while she does not want to wipe out again, obviously, she knows/understands what she did wrong, how to better manage/avoid repeating it and has learned a lot about the whole situation, herself, abilities, etc.

Anyways, today turned into a much longer day than I had expected and have to finish up a few things before work tomorrow morning so, everyone ride safe and I'll keep you posted so long as you care to know.

:Venture:

Glad she has you to get the input from on what she's doing while riding. She obviously trusts you and you're opinions. Might want to change your name to yoda. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:Just kidding. Hope you enjoy the ride when you get to go and we'll be waiting to hear how it all goes.

Margaret

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anything new?

Oh boy... I had not realized how behind I had gotten on here. Don't worry, PLENTY of new (and good) stuff going on. I will try to get something written up in the next week or two; including some pictures.

Preview: Lots of miles put on, a few trips, etc etc. :thumbsup2:

The bike??? Or something else????

:think:

Gary

I had initially meant my bike and her bike... But since my last post there have been quite a few miles put on my truck (mid October wedding in the mid-west) and a few international flights (thanks to work)

When is the wedding? :301::whistling::whistling:

As previously stated, 15/Oct/2011.

BUT, don't get ahead of yourself, it was a good friend of mine that got married :moon:

I started reading this from the beginning after VX1000SE asked if there was anything new, I am totally hooked, articulate and well written, cannot wait for the next installment, this could be a best seller! Go lil beaver! :cool10:

Well now that there's more to know it's gonna drive me crazy till he posts more. (for those that know me yes I know you already think I'm crazy)

Please don't wait too long. Can't wait for the pics too.

Margaret

Now Margaret, you KNOW we don't think so!!!:bighug:

We KNOW so!!! :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Would the lady friend and/or you be interested in working as a volunteer at one or more of these events?

http://www.buffalospringslaketriathlon.com

Motorcycles make for very agile and useful support vehicles especially during the bicycle road course. And it makes for an interesting day...I can assure you of that.

:happy34:

• 1 month later...
I saw this and had a thought what thread is the longest active thread on this site?

Hmmmmm.... you gotta wonder...does she really exist...? No pictures....no updates..... anybody else ever really see her ...?......:confused24:.... just thinkin'......