IGNORED

Clutch Upgrade Kits NOW Available!

skydoc_17

The last thing that I can offer that your Dealer or PCW can't, is if during the install you have a question, or a problem with any of the kits I sell, you can PM me or call me on my cell phone (my phone number is in my profile) and I will stop what ever I am doing and give you my undivided attention until your question is answered or your problem is solved. There are quite a few members here that will attest to that fact.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::amen::amen::amen:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Earl.Another great kit that Royal Star owners are well served by getting and installing.Your brake up-grade kit is a super deal and the real deal!!I got all kind of brake now.Just Pay Pal'd you for this kit.Glad I seen it before leaving for this years trip to the West Coast.You're a stand up guy with A1 products and service secound to NONE.All the best to You and Jean.Herb.

Hey Earl thanks for putting these kits together I am interested in one, I guess I missed it but how do I pay? Do you have paypal? Also on a side note are you going to maint day at Dons, bet you could make some $$$$ installing these kits there? Let me know how to pay ya.:mo money: Thanks Craig

When you go to the link or classifieds just click on the buy it now and it takes you to it. :fingers-crossed-emo

Self admitted mechanically UN-inclined here.....I'd like to do this also. Is this something that could be done at MD by someone who is willing to teach me a few things? If you do, I promise to be a good student and pass on the knowledge down the road. Or, I could just plop some cash down!

Riderduke taught me the basic's of wiring last weekend. I actually think most of it stuck! This Southern Boy learnt somethin!

Let me know and I will have it ready to go in June!

Any chance Skydoc_17 will be selling these at MD?

Ben

I have seen a couple of posts about installing these at MD in Ohio. Although it's an easy swap, if your clutch has been slipping, you really need to clean your steels between the friction disc good, as they will more than likely be glazed. I just replaced the spring, or should I say doubled it up on the '89 with a new full friction disc. Ponch was kind enough to snadblast the steels for me and I will tell you that the bike never pulled so hard. I will from now on be sandblasting the steels, just something to think about if you decide to do this swap

:2cents:

...and for those of you that dont know Earl, he is top notch in everything he does. You can bet if he talks it up, it's because thats exactly how it is :happy34:

Thanks.. Yes I was wondering how you would clean the friction plates to sand or blast them. So I will blast just the steel then. As I only have about 13 K on my friction plates.

I have not even got my parts yet *LOL* but learning lots. this will be done next week.

I will to the stater next winter. I am thinking with the heaver load on the trike. this would be a good thing to do. do NOT worry, I will be asking more Questions Later ! :D

I am sorry if I confused anyone, but where I come from a plate (or clutch plate) and a clutch disc are distinguisable by those names and that would be enough information. By all means, do not media blast the clutch discs although I have roughed them up with coarse sand paper to get better bite.

:farmer:

Earl

Just ordered a 2nd gen kit. Although I am in Canada, I am shipping to a Florida address - friend vacationing in Florida will bring it back for me. Hope it ships out next week or it might miss the connection!!

Thanks

Ross

Squid, so I do nothing with my regular plates correct ?

Just bead blast the new steel plate? Confused now.:think:

but you know me, that happens a lot :D

Jeff,

You will just sandblast the steels between the friction discs. You can also sand them on a flat surface with the sandpaper facing upwards and press down on the steel to get it to take the glaze off. That is all you are doing this for is to remove the glaze tha happens when the steels get hot, it helps them bite better. Also too you will not need to purchase any of the steels, you will use the old ones.

Do not blast the friction plates, just all of the steel plates.

I don't know if it really matters or not, BUT, I was always told to keep them in order so that they all go back in the same order they came out.

Not so much in order but all facing the same direction. To clarify: the steel plates are stamped. One side will have a sharp edge and the other side will be somewhat rounded. Not bent around but a smoother side. The steel plates all have to be lined up with either the sharp side or the rounded side all facing the same way.

And yes...Earl is a good guy to deal with.

I just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for their kind words and their orders for the Clutch upgrade. To say that I am a bit "Overwhelmed" with the volume of orders is an understatement! Please be a bit patient with me as I didn't anticipate the response from the Second Gen. Owners and have placed a second order for the clutch cover gaskets. I promise to ship these kits out ASAP when the clutch cover gaskets arrive.

Thanks again for this tremendous response and it has been my pleasure to help you save a few bucks on this great upgrade.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Had me excited for second.........

Anything in the works for us MKI ('83-'85) guys?

Mike

Yes is there anything in the works for the MKI 1984's?

is there a difference in the clutches between the MKI and MKII's besides the CC of the motors?

My clutch is not slipping yet or that is to say i don't feel it yet and want a kit on hand for when it will.

:farmer:

In response to the request from Snaggletooth and KB2RWW, I am trying to put together a clutch upgrade kit for the MKI VR's. Yes, the MKI VR clutch is different from the MKII VR's and Second Gen. clutch. Getting a decent price on higher quality clutch springs has been the major drawback up to this point, but have no fear, I'm all over it and hope to have a quality clutch upgrade kit in the near future at a decent price. I will post when I have sorted it all out and have the kit available.:thumbsup2:

Earl

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Don.

I finished the upgrade. Clutch handle is really light and I'm getting some slipping in all gears. I am confident everything is back together correctly. Maybe I need to bleed the clutch??? What is the standard fluid to be used???

:detective::bang head:

Duh!! its on the cap!

update: Bled the clutch... a little more on the handle but still slippin'. After it cools, I will open it up and see what I screwed up... :bang head:

Edited by Owen