IGNORED

GPS suggestions?

a1bummer

Forgive me for I know that GPS units have been discussed to great extent here, but... I'm just to lazy to sift through so many threads looking for whatever info I can find.

But... I'm curious what options we motorcyclists have when it comes to GPS's. I've seen the TomTom Rider/Rider2, and the Garmin 550 & 660. The TomTom doesn't support MP3 playback and at $800 - $900 bucks, the Garmins are a bit expensive for my taste. Not to mention the helmet accessories for the Garmin, which appear to come with the TomTom.

What other GPS's do you guys use? I would like one to at least have MP3 playback, be waterproof, and be able to update the maps. Bluetooth would be nice for the cellphone use but not big on my list. A fair price would be nice too.

I think it's ridiculous that all because something is for a motorcycle, it should cost 2-4 times as much.

:mo money:

I have the Garmin Nuvi 750 I think, its a few years old, has mp3 and pic veiwer, upgradeable maps, but its not waterproof, I just put a baggy over it. Its a widescreen easy to see, easy to operate, I paid less then $200.00 I would highly recommend a Garmin nuvi, just got my daughter one for Christmas. Craig

GARMIN ALL THE WAY. Go to E-Bay and you can buy a refurbished Garmin for a very reasonable amount. 1 year Warranty just like it was new....and GARMIN will take care of you no matter what.

Boomer.....who doesn't go anywhere without his Garmin and ice cream money.:happy34:

I have a Garmin 205 that I used for 2 years on my Honda VLX (I used a Ram Mount) and plan to mount it now on my RSTD. It is not water proof (I rarely ride in the rain) but has worked flawlessly and was less than $100. I also use it in my car.

I don't see any reason, for me anyway, to spend more for a "motorcycle" version. Some may need it for the waterproofing, but if you're not going to be in the rain often, and needing the GPS at the same time, the regular Garmins work great.

You can check tigerdirect they have some good deals on GPS and you can get a GPS refurbished for a great price. We have a magellan got it for about 60 bucks as a refurb. Hubby wasn't sure he wanted one so I wasn't going to spend big bucks on something he may not use. It also has bluetooth but not the mp3 playback.

Margaret

I have a couple of GPS. I have a MIO 220 which I really like, the screen is a bit small but these things are now in the 80 to 90 dollar range. I also have a Garmin nuvi 255, screen is much bigger but there are some things that are not as convenient as the MIO. Neither is waterproof, like Craig I just put a baggy over it and a rubber band. I forgot I also have a couple of older Garmin Street pilots which are pretty neat in their own way but the new stuff is much better.

The Garmin 255 has picture display but no blue tooth or MP3. The MIO 220 has nothing but the gps but you can hack into them and change a lot of things for custom viewing.

Whatever you get don't rely on it to much or you will get into trouble. Make sure you have it attached to the bike securely, I lost one of the MIO's couple of years ago on the super slab.

Good Luck,

BOO

I agree. I can't see paying that price for something that goes obsolete in 2-3 years. I use a Garmin Quest II and when/if it dies I will get either a Garmin nüvi® 500 or 550. Both are waterproof, can load routes and keep tracks. If you dual sport or backpack the 500 has the topos too. Both have 8hr rechargeable battery and can be had for $200 on the net at places like megaGPS.

Buy based on your riding. If you only ride on nice sunny days on paved roads then anything will bold up. Then you're just looking at features. If you are an all weather rider then you may find that cheap is useless. I have the Zumo 550 and it has been worth every penny but I ride in virtually anything. The Zumo is wateproof, shock resistant and glove friendly. Loaded with features but if you don't subject your GPS to adverse conditions then you can find the features on a cheaper model. Just make sure you buy what you need. Otherwise you'll just end up spending twice the money replacing what you thought you bought at a better price n

Just my .02

Just like loehring says, if you buy cheap (cheap = little or no features and/or maps), then you'll regret your decision. I have owned the Zumo 550 since the DAY it came out (I was one of the first to own one)...and just purchased the Zumo 660 when it came out several months back...The Zumo 550 is a SOLID and TESTED GPS. I still use my Zumo 550 (with XM) in my truck everyday and when I bought the Zumo 660, it went on the bike.

You can actually purchase the Zumo 660 cheaper than you can the Zumo 550...although if you look hard enough you can occasionally pick up the Zumo 550 cheaper.

You do have SEVERAL OPTIONS HERE if you want the more expensive Garmins...you can purchase DISCONTINUED models or you can purchase the REFURBED/RECONDITIONED units.

I run (and own) the Zumoforums.com website and when I started the website we expected maybe 200 members...I mean really, a motorycle GPS forum????? Who would have thought 4 years later I would have over 23,000 members and we are SPECIFIC ONLY TO THE ZUMO line of GPS's.

Again, the Zumo 550 is well documented as being ONE OF THE BEST motorcycle GPS (The Zumo 660 still has some minor issues to work out - for some people). And while the GPS is just ANOTHER tool on your motorcycle, if properly used it can you great information, great fun, great music and some directions (if you learn to use it properly).

FINALLY, if you just DON'T want to spend that kind of money, you can purchase one of the less expensive Garmin units (most of the 4" screen models use the same case)...at least get one with an MP3 player...you might not think you'll want it...but you will at some point. As for being waterproof...even with my Zumo and it being water resistant, I still cover it with a baggie. Almost any GPS covered with a baggie (and rubber band) can withstand most rainy day riding (unless you take it into the river).

Good luck on your decision.

Wally

I'll back up what Wally stated. Being one of the testers of the Zumo 550 and 2nd cousin one of the Garmin engineers , I was lucky enough to get on the Zumo band wagon . I'll admit that I'm on my 3rd Zumo after the first 2 spazzed out on me , but customer service was spectacular beyond my expectations to get my Zumo's replaced/repaired . Needless to say I did not have to call upon my 2nd Cuz to get any warranty work either . I think the Zumo is in a class of it's own . Though any brand has issues or the rider has preferences . Along with the Zumo and BuddyRich's cables , there is not another combination out there that does what I ask or need for it to do .

I have gotten all and more for the $$ I have put into the Zumo 550 and I will remain using it till they are no longer available . As of today , I have logged over 70k on the Zumo , mostly on the scoot and still not have utilized all the features that it provides .

BEER30

I run (and own) the Zumoforums.com website and when I started the website we expected maybe 200 members...I mean really, a motorycle GPS forum????? Who would have thought 4 years later I would have over 23,000 members and we are SPECIFIC ONLY TO THE ZUMO line of GPS's.

Wally

Hey, I'm a member there.. I hardly ever go there though, almost never have any problems, and everything I want to do with my 550 it just does.

Although I did find it a pain when Garmin's latest updates required Windows XP minimum and my desktop still has Windows 2000, so I have to update my Zumo through my laptop now..

This unit does everything the Zumo does except waterproof (baggie works well) and is $220.00. MP3, Bluetooth, FM Traffic, Routes (10), Programmable, Sunlight readable, Card Reader, Picture viewer, Lane assist, Detour .. the works... Ram-Mount available.

Just my Opinion...

Wayne

I have about 4500 miles on my Garmin Nuvi 855 and it has been flawless so far. At under $200.00 it was a deal. I have attached a few pics below. It is wide screen, has an FM transmitter that allows the sound to come thru the speakers on the bike! MP3 player as well.

Earl

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg

I have the Tom Tom rider 2 and am very happy with it. the blue tooth scala rider headset is included and works with all helmet types. It has seen as many, if not more wet days of riding, as it has dry and has stood up vey well. Cell phone function through the blue tooth feature is excellent and conversation quality is even better then the cell phone by itself, even while moving.If the unit sense's road speed it wil allow you to answer calls and make voice activated calls, but not dial out. However if you bring the bike to a stop you can dial out and once the call is established continue on your way. Other functions that may distract the rider are also disabled, when it senses road speed. If used with the car mount which you purchase separately many of the road speed disabled features are allowed.

Downside, No built in speaker, they are built in the car mount which you have to purchase separately , and visibility in direct sunlight is not that great. My reason for buying it was that I got a super deal about 1/4 of its normal price because it was a display model and about $600, cheaper than the garmin biker model. Mapping and routing on it however has been excellent and very accurate.

Edited by saddlebum

Being a cheap SOB I bought a GPS off of WOOT.com for less that a $100 bucks. Since I don't need to be intertained while riding... the ride is intertaining enough, and I know where I'm going...most of the time :whistling: ... I figured for what little use I get out of it, MPH, miles covered, etc. it didn't make sense to have $400-500 bucks sitting on the bike. The only drawback to the cheaper units I have found is the ability to see the screen in sunlight. Something that even the expensive units don't have. My suggestion if you plan on spending the big buck$ make sure the GPS is motorcycle friendly....

I have a Zumo 550 and have replaced all the hardwear with longer bolts and self locking nuts. A number of members have lost units going down the road because the hardwaer came loose. Cycle gadgets .com also sells a sunshade for about $20. that works great on my bike and in my convertible.

I have ordered a GoPro camera and I will replace all the hardwear as well.

Cb

Am I safe to assume that I can hard-wire the Nuvi 550/660 to my aux input on my stereo so I can listen to MP3's and get directions at the same time over the motorcycle speakers? Or I can send the audio via bluetooth through a headset. How about if I have a headset, (either in helmet or on my head), can it be connected to the GPS via bluetooth and to the passenger or other rider at the same time?

:mo money:

I went for the "TV" screen look........

Mine is a Garman 7200

Yea, one can laugh at the size of this GPS but with a 7.5 inch screen and very large letters showing road names and cities, I surely don't need to take my eyes off the road long to read the words on this screen.

Has text to speech, and MP3.

Not water proof but I use a plastic baggie to cover it when it rains..so what.

I see there are stereos that are bluetooth enabled now too. I guess that's what I get when my old outdated equipment is still working just fine and I'm to cheap to go out and buy new stuff. One of those stereos, bluetooth headsets, and GPS with bluetooth would eliminate a lot of wires and digging into my bike.

I wonder how long those have been out? I really have to get out more!

Am I safe to assume that I can hard-wire the Nuvi 550/660 to my aux input on my stereo so I can listen to MP3's and get directions at the same time over the motorcycle speakers?

I hope so...this is how I plan to connect my Zumo 660 and the Nuvi should be the same. The only questions I need to ask (and I haven't asked yet) is the power hookup. Some say straight to the battery (which is how I have always done it in the past) and others say you can get power from something in the fairing, but I have others say sometimes there is interference (ground loop effect?).

I will ask formerly when I install my Zumo (next week's install).

Wally