IGNORED

Guess what!!!

barend

got your hack all put together?

Yup!! Still got a ton of stuff to do though, paint, all new lights, re-do the flooring, not to mention getting it set up properly. Right now she's liking the ditch too much! One thing at a time, but at least I can start riding.

Rode her home as a rigid, so the rollstop is coming out somewhere this weekend (I hope)

I got a whole mess of them in my garage, can hardley move there are so many,,,,,,,now if only my camera would show them when I snap a picture,,,,,,, well maybe I was just dreaming, but I did see them,,,,,, and my bank account has taken a big hit,,, they must be there somewhere,,,,,,,,,,

Don't know if I did this this right (pics). (I did)

Took her out about an hour ago, just a short jaunt down the road, do some lane changes and get used to the feel. I have some low speed wobble (under 10mph) but not too serious, I am miffed 'cause the shop screwed up the install, front end is three inches low!! That can be fixed down the road though. So, here she be! Watcha think?!

[ATTACH]38426[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38427[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]38428[/ATTACH]

So, yes I am a tad miffed that the “H”frame is screwed up. Though everything seems to work just fine, the positioning of the chair is not where I would want it; aesthetics again! For now it’ll do, when I get to carrying passengers, we’ll have to see if the nose down position has an impact on creature comfort. We’ll call this a working prototype J

So I took it down the road, yeah, I know, carry it to a big empty parking lot, unload it and run through practice drills. So boring isn’t it? You know the line: “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!” I used to be a flight instructor, the easy part is straight and level; likewise going down the road at speed. So that was my choice for a first ride, go down a divided 4 lane, lots of wiggling and lane changing as well as accelerating/ decelerating to get a feel for the combo. Low speed wobble (around 5-10mph), little more sluggish in the roll response and some torque with resulting left/right forces on the start/stop. All in all the unit was running very nice, no pulling to either side (to speak of), all I could detect after a 20 minute run was the continued flexing of the nose. Peripherally you can see the nose rolling along with the bike, cool as hell!! Unfortunately after you run down the highway you have to turn back somewhere, my exit saw no traffic so I blew the stop sign and turning back onto the highway was smooth as well, as far as smooth goes after ten miles. Getting from the four lane back to the house (3 blocks) was uncomfortable due to the low speed wobble, but I don’t want to accelerate through it yet until I gain more confidence. I did come to a complete stop and lined up with the drive before taking it to the top.

I’ll confess, going down the drive for the first time, then to the “end” of the street where there is a 90 degree downhill right turn followed by a down then uphill left 90 will work wonders for the sphincter muscles. I did stop before pulling onto the four lane wondering what the heck I was doing …. Rolled on the power and was gone. Let the good times roll!! I’ll get to the slow speed handling sometime J

:D:D:D

Might want to try (2) 50lbs bags of sand,salt, etc.. while learning.

Also watch your left turns?? as with no wight in the side car , it could

lift and not be a good thing, folks please correct me on this if I am wrong.

otherwise very cool looking rig ya got!

have fun!

Jeff

Jeff,

This being a leaning sidecar, it does not require ballast. The unit still operates like a solo M/C. Roll response is a little slower with the added weight, I have some torque braking hard and (less) pulling away and turning is a tad trickier. Big, steady speed, level turns are not that big of a problem, but as the turn tightens or if the speed changes during the turn, the added weight and torque make things more interesting. Right uphill turns from a (almost) stop are especially interesting so far, the person stepping out from between two cars didn't help:o, saved it though!

I had a little low speed wobble in my hack set up and built a steering dampener for it. That along with making sure the front tire was to proper inflation and making sure the steering head bearings are tight got rid of the wobble.

If your out for a test ride come on over would like to see it up close.

Even that it leans it will still take some riding time to get use to it.

Steve

Guest tx2sturgis

That low speed wobble is called 'head shake'....you'll probably have to learn to live with it...its present in most large tired trikes and hacks. You might try tightening the neck bearings, adjusting the rear shock pressure, and adjusting tire pressures up and down.

Steve: We'll have to find a nice weekend to do that on, Brenda won't ride with me till she feels I am 'qualified' ansd then we'll see if she want s to ride in the chair or on the back (don't matter in a leaner)

Condor: standard fork brace, have looked at but not purchased one yet.

Tx2: I was wrong, it's right at 15mph:headache: Anyway they checked the head bearings when installing it, I'll have to look at tire pressures (and the forkbrace) and maybe play with the suspension.

spend a half hour doing loopdiloops, slaloms, figure eights, right and left circles in the church parking lot, my shoulders are worn out. more tomorrow :happy65: :cool10: