IGNORED

venture has no heating option

Sometimes I wonder if a Goldwing would be a better option just because it has heated seat, grips, and vents that can blow some heat on you in cold temps. Having not ridden a venture in cold weather yet, do you stay warm on a venture in cold weather? Or do you need to add some heated features to the venture to stay warm on it? Is it possible to add heat to a venture? Will the electrical system on the venture easily handle heated seats or grips?

Sometimes I wonder if a Goldwing would be a better option just because it has heated seat, grips, and vents that can blow some heat on you in cold temps. Having not ridden a venture in cold weather yet, do you stay warm on a venture in cold weather? Or do you need to add some heated features to the venture to stay warm on it? Is it possible to add heat to a venture? Will the electrical system on the venture easily handle heated seats or grips?

You just put it in the garage and wait to next year.:stirthepot:

I'll guarantee you the Venture is colder than the Wing in cold weather just because of the way the faring is made. The first generation 83-93 Ventures are warmer than the second generation Ventures.

You can add some heating accessories to the Venture but I'm not sure just how much, someone that actually rides in cold weather will have to answer that. I do not ride in cold weather and very rarely ride in temps below 50 deg F.

Good Luck,

BOO

I have Gerbing heated gloves and Tour Master heated jacket liner. That is all I need and I ride in the 20's F. Your feet stay warm inside the fairing with the engine heat. I also keep a sheepskin on the seat year around (cooler in summer and warmer in winter).

:farmer:

If you want to ride well down in the lower 40's and below, get a heated inner liner and a good leather jacket. I have a pair of deerskin lined gauntlet gloves that I also wear as well as a very good pair of leather chaps. I have ridden my RSV to work in the upper 20's and yes it was cold, but only for a little bit. It really all depends upon you and your tolerance for cold, the heated liner really makes a huge difference as it will keep your core warm and the rest will follow.

I ride all year round. Last winter was one of the coldest winter we've had and I rode in the 30's and as low as 20's in the am commute with my Joe Rocket Leather, chaps, and definitely a pair of Gerbings gloves. That is all I needed to stay warm...I even did not need to turn on my liner. You should be good for winter.

I'm a year round rider as well. Heated gloves and liner along with a leather jacket and chaps takes me to single digits with no problem. I do find it helps a lot to have a "Turtle Fur" collar to keep my neck warm but I've never had a real need for the heated seat or grips. Certainly not enough to make me change bikes.

Down here is South Carolina, I have ridden down to nine degrees. A very important factor in cold-weather riding is the length of time you will be riding in the cold. If you are riding fifteen minutes to work or other short-distance chores, you can wrap up and get a pair of Gerbings heated gloves, and have no problem. If you will be riding for three hours in less than forty degrees (F), then the cold will soak into you and you must have heated clothing to fight it off.

I have had cold hands, cold toes, cold knees, cold forehead. I have never had cold butt. I suppose if you leave your bike outside and must ride it with ice on the seat, they your backside can get cold.

Wear clothes. It amazes me how many people do not have sense to wear clothes when it's cold. Still they are wearing basketball shorts an tee shirts. In cold weather -- thirties and below -- I wear long johns (top and bottom), long-sleeved shirt, a good jacket with a liner, a scarf, helmet, long pants, long socks, boots and gauntlets. Only the gloves are heated, and I cycle the heat on and off as needed (don't have the fancy expensive controller). Again, if you are only going a short distance, you won't have time to get cold before you get there, but if you are gong to be riding for hours, be more earnest about dressing right.

About the RSV's electrical system: it can handle heated gloves easily, and some have used more heated clothing. If you find that you are drawing too much current, you can get sixty watts back easily by disconnecting the carburetor heaters (4 x 15watts). I'm the sort who thinks that the designers may have put those heaters there for a reason, so I installed a switch to allow me to switch off the carb heaters only when I really need to (so don't yell at me, V7!). When I have turned them off, there has been no noticeable difference, so I think it is worth it to save your hands from frostbite.

Last, expectations: You are out for a ride, and it's cold out. Bitter cold is uncomfortable and even dangerous, but don't insist on feeling like you are in front of a roaring fire or on a Hawaiian beach. Be cool and enjoy the brisk feeling and don't burn unnecessary watts trying to turn yourself into toast.

I have a set of gear that I got for Ice Fishing. I have not worn them on a motorcycle, but I have on snowmobiles. I fish in VERY cold weather, I'm talkin well below zero. With wind chills down to the neg. 20-30s. And I stay toasty warm.

It is very light weight and it not bulky by and means.

Here is what the bibs look like... I thought I had a picture of the whole outfit, but can't find it.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/Wheellock/DSC00134.jpg

I plan on wearing this gear on the scooter when the weather turns cold.

The outer shell is Poly-Tricot with a closed cell insulation that is light and thin. Whole suit weighs less that my leather coat.

Here is a link to the gear just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.profishingsupply.com/arcticarmor/aa_redblack_suits.htm

Nice possum...

What were you using for bait?

I have a set of gear that I got for Ice Fishing. I have not worn them on a motorcycle, but I have on snowmobiles. I fish in VERY cold weather, I'm talkin well below zero. With wind chills down to the neg. 20-30s. And I stay toasty warm.

It is very light weight and it not bulky by and means.

Here is what the bibs look like... I thought I had a picture of the whole outfit, but can't find it.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/Wheellock/DSC00134.jpg

I plan on wearing this gear on the scooter when the weather turns cold.

The outer shell is Poly-Tricot with a closed cell insulation that is light and thin. Whole suit weighs less that my leather coat.

Here is a link to the gear just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.profishingsupply.com/arcticarmor/aa_redblack_suits.htm

heated liners, pants and jacket.......worn over jeans and long sleeve sweater type shirt......heated gloves...then a good two piece rain suit.......usually start wearing it around 50 degrees, and good to about 30's..

i have the upgraded stator but still wonder if it's overloaded the bike's systems, as my glove don't get as warm with everything on.....

I was always good on my RSV to around the 45-50 degree mark with chaps, a good leather coat, and gauntlet gloves. However, now that I have a bike with a heated seat and grips, I won't go back. I even lost a bit of weather protection when switching bikes, but I still ride my Beemer in colder temps simply because with my butt and hands warm, I seem to stay warmer overall. I've never had any heated clothing on either bike.

Girlie men.. all of ya!!!

Around here where men are men and sheep are nervous, we try to ride year round.. none of that whimpy electricity stuff to keep warm.. A man is manly enough to brace for the cold and forge ahead come hell or high water (ice).. Yessir.. none of that mambe pamby girlie man heating element stuff that keep your hands and chest and feet warm.. while riding in.. the cold.. eh? Wait a tic.. Where do you guys get that stuff.. it's unheard of up here lol

Just kidding.. Bundling up nicely for a ride is all I need up here, if I were ever to come off the bike I'd be bouncing for miles before coming to a stop..

Photo is from this past Feb, ice on the lakes, guessing about 35'F mid day.. brrr.. Only the brave and foolhardy ride then lol..

I ride in the 30's all the time. The only problem I have is with my fingertips getting cold. I don't think they make a conventional glove that will keep your hands warm on a bike.

I have a pair of down lined ski mittens (no fingers) that work well.

Ski clothing works well down to 20F.

Do the heated vest, heavy gloves, heavy leather jacket, long johns (thermal kind), chaps, thermal socks and good boots. Also do a sheepskin on the seat.

Toasty to about 32 F or 0 C. After that this little baby heads inside.

My last bike had the heated grips and I found them useless. You had to wear heavy gloves in the cold to keep the tops of your hands warm anyway. Have not tried the heated seat on the bike but it sure is nice in the truck when it's cold...

If you really want the powered route, I have seen someone put aftermarket heated grips on a Venture and Aerostich sells a heated liner than can be put into your stock seat.

:snow2:

You don't have to drain your bike to stay warm in the winter on the ride.

Portable power/heat is surprisingly effective and a LOT more versatile. Wear it on the bike, step off and gas up without disconnecting. Wear it at a football game, fishing and so on, no connection needed.

I used this vest last year in temps as cold as 18 degs on the bike. It worked very well, almost too warm. Battery lasted 4 hours plus, as advertised. I'm a ski patroller in the Chicago area and it gets a bit chilly here, vest worked great.

http://www.fourseasonssurvival.com/Electric-Heating-Vest-Battery-Operated-De%20luxe_p_81-1106.html

As others have said, keeping your core warm is critical.

Don't have these yet but, I will by winter time for the fingers, heated liners:

http://www.activheat.com/index_files/weightlessgloveliners.htm

I really see no reason to plug into the bike and besides, my GPS and iPhone are already plugged in!

Also, get some of the air activated toe warmers, put em on your socks, they last for hours too.

Good grief, it's August, 63 degrees out and I'm talking about heated clothing! I shoulda never left Hawaii!!!

Cheers.