IGNORED

Motorkote comments and tracking??

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add me the the Motorkote test. My engine (92k) HAD some noise coming from a wore out clutch bearing. Now the knock noise is almost gone and entire sound is better. I am running Castrol 20-50 motorcycle oil. I also put some Motorkote in my truck (159k). It sounds better too.

add me to the list also. put in 8oz two weeks ago, when ponch & kabay came over to help on the bike. didn't get to ride for a whole week. well tuesday i made up for it

(almost 300 miles). installed new avon crobra front tire (tuesday eneving) and the week before installed the kunmo c/t on the rear. now i don't think it's my mind playing tricks on me. but i feel /noticed a difference in the noise level. i have never paid much thought to the noise of the clutch basket or the stright cut gears of our tranny's. because my beast has the bub 4-in-2 exhaut system all ready instaled on it, i bought it used 4 years ago. i guess what i trying to say is there is a difference now. i turned off the radio and listen to the engine, i was wearing a shority helment. there was no noise coming from the right side of the beast, all the noise was coming from the tranny/ drive shaft side of the bike. anyway i'll be putting more miles on the bike and reporting back with my observations.

don c.

First testing of Motorkote ... I added it to the existing oil which was Mobil 1 synthetic 10w40 ... I did not feel there was any improvement.

Saturday I dropped the oil & filter and put in Castrol 10w40 (non synthetic) 10w40 and added 8 oz of Motorkote. Oil level at the 1/2 way mark on the sight glass.

On a scale of 1-10 (1=no change, 10=dramatic change) I will give it a 3 ... maybe even a 3.5 rating. It seems that either the fresh oil helped and/or dropping the synthetic. The whine is definately less and doesn't seem to be quite as loud.

Sure love those drilled out RK's :thumbsup2:

I rode to Denver and back over the weekend, around 2600 miles. Now that I have around 3000 miles on this oil change/Motorkote, I can say that there has been no change at all in anything.

Comments in red, below.

*snipped for brevity*

I am wondering if any one wants to comment who is using one any of the following:

1. Whine better. worse or no change?

The whine is still there at certain RPMs. At about 70mph in 5th, I don't hear any whine. At 60mph, I do. It's never loud.

2. clutch better less jump when putting in gear, no change or worse any problems at all?

Never had this problem, so there is no change.

3. Gas mileage better worse or same?

Hard to replicate exact conditions, but I will say there is no change.

4. overall engine sound. Smoother, no change?

Seems a bit smoother. Could be wishful thinking.

5. Rpm speed range of noise tighter, same or shift as to duration on start and when it goes away? Does it go away?

I never really noticed the noise until I saw this thread and paid attention. My whine is not a problem, especially since I've begun wearing ear plugs for long trips.

General comments about bike after using.

I have not noticed much improvement, but I haven't noticed any degradation either. I feel a little better with Motorkote inside, and that is worth something.

Dave

1. Whine better. worse or no change?

N/A

2. clutch better less jump when putting in gear, no change or worse any problems at all?

Yes, and no big clunk to first.

3. Gas mileage better worse or same?

better by 1-2 mpg. I've yet to get less than 39.5mpg.

4. overall engine sound. Smoother, no change?

Improved.

5. Rpm speed range of noise tighter, same or shift as to duration on start and when it goes away? Does it go away?

It is improved, but I never paid much attention prior to the Motorkote

General comments about bike after using.

I have noticed some improvements and that's good enough for me. I have about 1k miles now and initial conditions still apply. I will continue to use MotorKote.

Have not gone enough miles yet to know for sure, but so far (after 250 miles) there is no change in anything. MPG the same, noise the same, etc. Like I said, maybe I have not gone far enough yet; either way, it was worth the expense/effort to try to find something to quieten the bike down some.

I have added some more miles and still am a Motorkote suporter. Added to my truck and it has made improvements there also.

From reading all the posts it is appearing that the results are very similar to the problem itself, which is, it varies from bike to bike.

The motorkote will not eliminate the whine and there are some good posts reflecting that information.

For those of us that had the whine that went to chirping to something of a high pitched scream, it appears that it has helped.

As I posted earlier my whine is there but the length it lasts is shorter allowing to easily get out of the annoying range very easily.

Whine is more noticable in a putzing style around town than it is when I am either riding the twisties on some back roads or on the highway cruising. (no sounds at all at highway speeds.

Third gear is loudest for me followed by fourth but fourth is getting better the more I ride.

The pitch and volume are much less and it is now more of just an operating noise of the engine at certain rpms that fades into the pipes and other noises.

The smoothness is impressive and overall engine noises have diminished.

Clutch and shifting are very smooth.

It appears that those who have seen little or no difference may not have had the problems that others had been experiencing to begin with.

I have been impressed with the results and it will be going into all my equipment that has oil in it.

I look forward to seeing if anyone that has had positive results has a set back or any other problems in the future.

It is nice to know that what I have experienced was not just my imagination and that others saw and are seeing the same results for the most part.

This site and the information contained and shared is a blessing especially for those of us who are just learning and experiencing the total experience of this machine.

Until something hits the forum to shake my confidence :hurts: motorkote is in my machine.

Thanks for posting and giving me the confidence that there will always be help just a post away.

Thanks again

Dan:draming: one less thing to keep me awake GONE!

I have added some more miles and still am a Motorkote suporter. Added to my truck and it has made improvements there also.

From reading all the posts it is appearing that the results are very similar to the problem itself, which is, it varies from bike to bike.

The motorkote will not eliminate the whine and there are some good posts reflecting that information.

For those of us that had the whine that went to chirping to something of a high pitched scream, it appears that it has helped.

As I posted earlier my whine is there but the length it lasts is shorter allowing to easily get out of the annoying range very easily.

Whine is more noticable in a putzing style around town than it is when I am either riding the twisties on some back roads or on the highway cruising. (no sounds at all at highway speeds.

Third gear is loudest for me followed by fourth but fourth is getting better the more I ride.

The pitch and volume are much less and it is now more of just an operating noise of the engine at certain rpms that fades into the pipes and other noises.

The smoothness is impressive and overall engine noises have diminished.

Clutch and shifting are very smooth.

It appears that those who have seen little or no difference may not have had the problems that others had been experiencing to begin with.

I have been impressed with the results and it will be going into all my equipment that has oil in it.

I look forward to seeing if anyone that has had positive results has a set back or any other problems in the future.

It is nice to know that what I have experienced was not just my imagination and that others saw and are seeing the same results for the most part.

This site and the information contained and shared is a blessing especially for those of us who are just learning and experiencing the total experience of this machine.

Until something hits the forum to shake my confidence :hurts: motorkote is in my machine.

Thanks for posting and giving me the confidence that there will always be help just a post away.

Thanks again

Dan:draming: one less thing to keep me awake GONE!

Hey , its really late and I don't want to go into a huge long post on MK , its a good product , I had it in my last RSV and as an owner of a new 09 RSV it will go in this one too , at about 3000 miles , my point is DO NOT put this in a motro that is new , the anti friction ingredient is so good that the motor will never break in , all motors need friction when new to get the parts to mate . MK will never allow this to happen and you will have blowby and low compression. Awesome stuff , just WAIT until at LEAST 3000 miles. :080402gudl_prv:

• 2 weeks later...

Being an old rider but a new Venture guy, I've been reading every inch of this forum.

My new to me 2000 RSV with 30K on the clock had a pronounced whine/chirp thru most of the rpm/gear ranges.

Now I've only had this scoot for a couple of weeks and three hundred miles (hey work got in the way) and coming from an nice quiet Spirit 1100 this thing was loud.

I too was skeptical of the whole "oil additive" thing, but I figured that it was worth a try if it might put a gag in this thing.

Today stopped by Meijers and paid too much, $19 for 16 oz's, came home and drained the oil down 9 oz's (I changed the oil when I first brought it home and it was towards the top of the sight glass) and added 8 oz's of Motorkote.

I fired up the scoot and let it warm up while I got my gear on. Out on the road the difference was immediate. Almost no noise until 45 and even then cut at least by 1/2. If my whine/chirp was a 9, now it's a 3 or 4 maybe even a 2.

I only did 50 miles but if it stays like this I love this ride way more than I already did, and here's a strange kicker......I shut the bike down to move the wife's car so I could put the Venture back in the garage.

When I restarted it the starter spun like it had 24 volts going to it! Or maybe it spun like the motor had lost all compression.....hope not.

I know that it's way too early to make a good judgement on Motorkote, but WOW it sure seems to be doing something.

:fingers-crossed-emo

I'm one of the most skeptical people I know. Never ever believed in oil additives and have never used them.

Anyway, I've followed this thread from the beginning. About 2 weeks ago I told a friend about it because we were in a Flying "J" and I thought I'd show him the product.

His response was that it's a pile of BS.

Anyway, 3 days ago he told me that he'd asked some aquaintances who drive big rigs if they had heard of it. They both swore by it.

He put it in his 2001 Goldwing with 130,000 miles on it and told me the noticable improvements were immediate including smooth shifting and quieter engine.

Last night I put 8 oz in both my RSTD and my wifes 750 Shadow. My bike has never had the dreaded wine but what the heck.

First I took my bike for a 10 mile ride and as I backed down the driveway with the bike in neutral I wondered if I'd notice a difference.

I noticed an immediate difference when I shifted from neutral to first gear. NO CLUNK. The choke was still out a bit so it was reving higher than idle which always results in a CLUNK.

Anyway, I proceeded and immediatel noticed the bike shifted like a knife through warm butter. I didn't notice any difference in engine noise, just smoother shifting.

My bike has Amsoil 10W40 in it.

My wifes bike has dino oil in it and the 10 mile ride on the same route with her bike was next. Her Shadow has a really noisy engine (she says she has crickets in the engine).

Anyway, again, the smoother shifing was immediate and by the end of the ride I couldn't hear the crickets as much as when I started the ride.

Time will tell but it would appear that the product works.

:banana:

After having read all the posts on motorkote including what I could find on the web and what it may or may not do and being somewhat reluctant to use my bike as a test subject I asked some of the guys in maintenance where I work what they would recommend for quieting engine and gear noise. All of them responded with the same answer-Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I asked them what they thought about Motorkote and to my surprise none of them had ever heard of it. The corp. I work for is worldwide so this is not a corner ma and pa operation. This does not suggest in any way that Motorkote will or will not do what it is touted to do as I have no evidence to substantiate either finding. Regarding the Lucas though I can report the results. The whine is definitely reduced and what remains has not been the harsh sound I had before. I just came off a Goldwing 1500 so you can imagine the difference. This makes the bike much more enjoyable and to my surprise my wife has never even mentioned the whine and she is a pretty picky gal. Before I added the Lucas I noticed that as the bike/oil warmed up the level of whine went up as well. What the Lucas does is prevent heat from breaking down the lubricating capabilities of the oil. Yes it is wet clutch friendly and the ratio I used was 10% in the crankcase and I even added 10% to the rear differential making it run quieter as well. The Lucas is readily available at about any auto parts store for around $15.00 a bottle. At 10% this one bottle will last for several applications. No I do not own any Lucas stock but after my results with their product I wish I did. I am probably not going to pursue the "whine" any more being satisfied with the results I have obtained. It worked for me-maybe it will work for you.:cool17:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running the prescribed amount of Motorkote in my crankcase for three months now in my 06 RSTD and can say it has definitely made a difference in the level and the tone of the whine / chirp that I had pre-Motorkote. I am also now using Amsoil synthetic and it has further improved the noise levels IMHO. I am also running with drilled out Road King pipes which has made the bike sound a lot more like a bike should sound (again IMHO).

I find I spend a lot less time focusing on the noises the engine is making and a lot more time enjoying the ride. I still get some whining in the mid range of third and fourth gear, but not nearly as bad as I used to.

The only negative I have encountered is I have had a couple of situations under quick excelleration in first gear where it sounded and felt like the clutch was slipping a bit. With only eight thousand kilometers (4.2 K miles) on the bike I am doubtful that I have a clutch plate problem, but I also can't say for sure if the Motorkote has anything to do with it either. It only happens once in a while and one would think if the Motorkote was the culprit, others would be reporting similar troubles by now and the problem would be more consistant.:thumbsup2:

Put 8oz of Motorkote in the machine. Within 50 miles the transmission started shifting 300% better. It went into gear with no resistance at all. but - - (and maybe it's mental) I think the whine is a little louder. After 500 miles, went back to 15-50 synthetic. Shifting is back to being a little stiff, but the whine is still there.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no change in fuel mileage, shifting, or the infamous whine. What I find most interesting is how much opinions vary on the usefulness of Motorkote. I doubt that adding it has harmed my bike in any way; however, from my experience, it has not helped anything. Just neutral. It WAS worth the money, however, to try to find a product to help ease the "whine", but mine was never that bad anyway. From here, I would say to keep your money, and to spend it on something else.

I plan on using it in all of my vehicles now. It has worked so well on both of my bikes, the wifes truck and car will have it added now! Another Venture rider I see once in a while has told me that it reduced his whine by at least 50%. It does seem odd that it will work for some, but not for others.

Update: I am still in the camp of "Motorkote did nothing" for me, except increase my awareness of the whine. It seems louder now than ever, to the point where I feel I must wear earplugs. Otherwise, I just notice it too much. Either that, or the whine has increased. I prefer to blame myself rather than my bike. :)

Dave

Friday, 11 June 2004

David is a Technical Moderator, for

Baron's Custom Accessories Technical Forum

OIL FILTERS

FOR

ROAD STAR, ROYAL STAR, AND ROYAL STAR VENTURE

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PART #’S WILL FIT YOUR BIKE

BOSCH……………………….3300

K&N………………………….KN-303

NAPA GOLD………………...1358

PUROLATOR……………….ML16817

STP…………………………...SDF13

WIX…………………………..51358

FRAM………………………..6017A

HASTINGS…………………..LF-113

HI FLO………………………HF-303

EMGO……………………….10-82220

PER-FORM…………………J-503

Or you can look up any of the following bikes, because they all use the same filter as the Road Star!

Honda

CB1000

1994-1995

Honda

CBR1000F

1990-1991

Honda

CBR1000F

1993-1996

Honda

CBR1000F Hurricane

1987-1988