IGNORED

Motorkote comments and tracking??

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to provide a little balance to the positive reviews... :(

I put it in about 100 miles ago, and have noticed no decrease. In fact, because I am listening for it, the whine sounds louder to me. I suspect I have been putting it out of mind, and now I am paying attention, so I hear it.

Note that I drained about .75L out of the bike after the oil change because it was over-full. Some of that is perhaps the Motorkote.

I'll provide an update after my next longer ride.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I still haven't had a chance to hear anyone else's bike AND noise is subjective but to me MY chirp and whine didn't bother me that much. So to me the Motorkote didn't have as much noise to quieten as some. Then again it could have been one of the louder ones; I don't know.

Have you done a Moly 60 drive line lube? A few months ago I very suddenly developed a whine that was so bad that I shifted into 5th one day and thought an ambulance was trying to pass. I thought I was about to have a major repair. I ended up doing three things and one (or more) of them pretty much fixed it.

1. The one that I think did the most good was the Moly60 drive line lube. I had lubed it a few thousand miles before but it was before I knew the importance of Moly60. The drive fingers were bone dry and I think that was a lot of it.

2. I shimmed the pumpkin where it bolts up to the driveshaft tube. It seems that some wheel/pumpkin assembly's are in a bind when the acorn nuts are torqued; almost like the driveshaft tube is too short. I shimmed mine to take the bind off of it.

3. And I changed oil at the same time but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Just more info in case it helps. And if you do a search there is a thread with pics of my lube and shim. Edit: Here's the link.

Dave

Edited by BigBoyinMS

Maybe from now on with everybody lets start

posting what type of oil's that your using when

your trying--testing MoterKote, to really see if

it makes a difference in the future.

Myself I am using MK / with 10/40 Synthetic Amzoil.

I do want to test Rotella as well one day; some are saying

it even makes the sound even quieter.

Dave, Just for the heck of it.. what oil are you using

with the MK ? :scratchchin:

I am using Valvoline Premium Conventional 10W-40.

Hey Dave,

I still haven't had a chance to hear anyone else's bike AND noise is subjective but to me MY chirp and whine didn't bother me that much. So to me the Motorkote didn't have as much noise to quieten as some. Then again it could have been one of the louder ones; I don't know.

Exactly. I haven't bothered doing a lot of oil research because my edition isn't bad. I can hear the whine/chirp at times, but it doesn't annoy or bother me. My focus has been on keeping up with regular oil changes and trying to extend engine life that way. Someone here said any high quality modern oil will do that, which has been my theory.

I also was told to run dino oil until I am happy with the performance, and then to switch to synthetic to lock it in. Well, it keeps running better and better, so synth is still in the future.

So, hey, if MK does lessen the noise, great. If it doesn't, no big deal. I'll try now to forget it is in there, until the day arrives that when I try to hear the whine and can't. Listening for the whine is only making me hear it. LOL

Dave

Rotella 15w40 dino.

I tried the Rotella 5w40 synthetic for 100 miles but got more noise. I drained and saved it for one of the cars. :hihi:

Interesting. I did the exact opposite. Tried the Rotella dino....got much louder. Drained it and saved it for my truck, now run the syn, much quieter.

Just goes to show that no 2 of these beasts are the same.

Changed the oil. Still dino, Castrol GTX 20/50. Added the MotorKote and BAM!, I could tell an immediate difference. Now my bike is new and I haven't had any crickets or other obvious annoying noises, but the bike just seemed to run quiter and more solid. I do believe my MPG has improved although I'm still verifying that. Every thing is subjective, head winds, tail winds, up hill, down hill, wrist twist,,, etc. I've ridden approximately 900 miles in the last couple of days. I've yet to get less than 38.6 mpg compared to 34 to 38 before. It was rare for me to ever achieve more that 38 mpg. Any way, I'm convinced that MotorKote did make a difference and that's good enough for me. :thumbsup:

It does work! I put 400 miles on the bike after changing the dino Rotella and adding 8 ounces of motorkote. I have no ticking on startup, very little whine, no chirp, and my gas mileage has improved. I'm really impressed with this stuff. So far, there are no issues with my clutch. Who needs magic spark plugs? I don't!

Got the MotorKote in...drove about 15 miles ... seems a bit better... maybe too early to tell. Wasn't able to get it beyond 4th...rush hour traffic too slow. ... mostly 3rd. 2nd and 3rd don't seem to sound much different. Will wait until this weekend when I can take it for a good ride of a couple hundred miles.

Got the MotorKote in...drove about 15 miles ... seems a bit better... maybe too early to tell. Wasn't able to get it beyond 4th...rush hour traffic too slow. ... mostly 3rd. 2nd and 3rd don't seem to sound much different. Will wait until this weekend when I can take it for a good ride of a couple hundred miles.

Join us in Leavenworth Washington -

Driving directions to Leavenworth, WA

329 km (205 miles) – about 3 hours 41 mins

:whistling:

If it does not mix with the oil, then its in the sump, that means it gets picked up and circulated through the engine first before the oil. Reminds me of water its goes to the bottom too.

Is there anyone who has 20,000 or more miles using this product. I know you can put saw dust in a rear end and it will quiet a whining rear end, it just won't run very long.

If there is someone has a lot miles using this stuff I try it.

If it does not mix with the oil, then its in the sump, that means it gets picked up and circulated through the engine first before the oil. Reminds me of water its goes to the bottom too.

Is there anyone who has 20,000 or more miles using this product. I know you can put saw dust in a rear end and it will quiet a whining rear end, it just won't run very long.

If there is someone has a lot miles using this stuff I try it.

If you do some research you will see that the trucking industry has been using it for many years. Not aware of anyone here who has run it for more than a couple years, but if it was going to ruin an engine they wouldn't be running it in $$$ truck engines.

OK, here's the update as promised.

Week before last the dealer installed the new I basket. Definite improvement as I could now hear the pipes. Beginning to sound like a motor cycle. Step 1.

Step 2 - Yesterday I changed the oil and filter. I used the Rotell 5w40. Have only been able to ride about 40 miles. Improvement - yes. Not near the improvement made with the I basket, but still an improvement. I'll be riding some tomorrow and will be eager to really analyze it. Any improvement is a plus. I can hear the pipes, the wind and the neighbors dog chasing after me. lol. Really beginning to enjoy my bike.

Step 3 - Ordered the motorkote last night. Took freezyriders bike for a ride last weekend. Sounded good. Eager to hear mine sounding so good.

There may be a step 4 in my future. Eager to learn more about the moly lube.

Thanks for a great thread.

Barry

I picked up MotorKote at FlingJ truck stop. Same price no shiping. Changed oil today with it & put on about 100 miles the wine has got less or changed.

When I was riding be for with the radio on 15 now its on 12 & can hear it just fine. So eather the MotorKote is making the wine Quirter or my hearing is getting better? I am still running Yamalube in a 08 with 10000 miles. All in 4 months. Find out more in 3000 miles!:fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by Reed

I am wondering if any one wants to comment who is using one any of the following:

1. Whine better. worse or no change?

No change whatsoever.

2. clutch better less jump when putting in gear, no change or worse any problems at all?

No change whatsoever.

3. Gas mileage better worse or same?

Never check it

4. overall engine sound. Smoother, no change?

No change whatsoever.

5. Rpm speed range of noise tighter, same or shift as to duration on start and when it goes away? Does it go away?

No change whatsoever.

General comments about bike after using.

I did get an opportunity yesterday to ride a fellow member's 1999 RSV and all I can say is, I'm happy my whine isn't like his. He tried mine out to see if he would like the RK's so maybe once he installs them, the whine will be less noticable.

I added the motorkote today after having already installed the I basket and having added the Rotella 5w40. So far so good as I am experiencing some improvement. Eager to get some miles on it to see if there is continued improvement. All in all the bike is much quieter than before. And it may be at this point that I am just too focused on the noise. Riding with leadwolfe this weekend and will see how it does. Will let you know.

Thought It would be interesting to start a thread for the brave ones who are using Motorkote in our bikes.

I would hope that this will be input from actual users and a place to track results or lack of them with this product.

I hope we don't get the nasayers who know of a second cousin on their great grandmother's side that put the stuff in his bike before he went to prison and by the time he got paroled the stuff had turned to acid and melted his bike.

I have heard the stories and warnings about the damage to the clutch but when I press the mechanic or fellow rider as to WHO this happened to it is always "well, I heard from a friend or a friend or read something somewhere that this can happen.

I am not sure in the past but this product has no hesitation in recommending it to be used in motorcycles.

I just put mine in and have about 150 miles on the bike. will post my findings after a few more miles

I am wondering if any one wants to comment who is using one any of the following:

1. Whine better. worse or no change? I really didn't have any, but overall noise was immediately reduced

2. clutch better less jump when putting in gear, no change or worse any problems at all? Less clunk, especially when going into first after start up

3. Gas mileage better worse or same? I believe 1 to 2 mpg improvement

4. overall engine sound. Smoother, no change? smoother

5. Rpm speed range of noise tighter, same or shift as to duration on start and when it goes away? Does it go away? I can run lower speeds in higher gear without the usual associated lugging

General comments about bike after using. I'm sold! Approximately 1k miles since using.

I thought this could bring a place to get all input in one thre ad.

Look forward to hearing from others using Motorkote.

:big-grin-emoticon: To me it was worth it.