IGNORED

What would you buy or build?

FROG MAN

I'm still thinking about this creek and considering a trailer to haul the scoot.I looked at the ones at Tractor Supply. They have a wire mesh floor,drop down gate,4x8 with a 2000 lb payload for around $600.95% of it's use would be hauling down to the camp only 1 mile down the road.Maybe once a year an occasional trip 500 miles to the beach. What would you buy? Here is my needs.

1. Budget minded nothing fancy

2. Easy to load and unload by your self.

3. Heavy duty enough for a first gen or ATV

I would be pulling this with a pickup. My 16ft dual axle trailer is to big for this and would like something smaller.

I know for sure a 4x8 will not be long enough. The one I got wasn't and I had to cut the front and make a extension of about 20" to make it work. :crying: Mesure twice and cut once. I have a 07 RSV.

I'm still thinking about this creek and considering a trailer to haul the scoot.I looked at the ones at Tractor Supply. They have a wire mesh floor,drop down gate,4x8 with a 2000 lb payload for around $600.95% of it's use would be hauling down to the camp only 1 mile down the road.Maybe once a year an occasional trip 500 miles to the beach. What would you buy? Here is my needs.

1. Budget minded nothing fancy

2. Easy to load and unload by your self.

3. Heavy duty enough for a first gen or ATV

I would be pulling this with a pickup. My 16ft dual axle trailer is to big for this and would like something smaller.

The only thing about the mesh floor is that road debri get thrown up through it on to the bike, I personnelly would opt for a floor and sides. Mesh gate should be a problem because you want the air to go through.

Have you thought about taking a boat trailer and modofying it. It is long enough and a box would be easy to add, after all your not using it every day just once in a while. My 2 cents worth?

Steve

I have a landscaper type trailer as well for those few times I need to haul the bike or whatever. Mine is 5x10 and fits a Venture perfectly. It also has a 2x10 boards treated decking floor. Side rails come up 12-18" or whatever. I added plywood to the front to help keep derbis from hitting the bike too.

Prior to this trailer I had a similar 6x12 trailer and that one would carry 2 bikes easyly. But just found it to be more trailer then needed so sold it and replaced it with the above one.

Larry

My riding buddy and I went together and bought a 6X10 ft, single axle, flatbed trailer with side railing. It has a 2X8 floor with a 2 ft dovetail and a wire mesh tailgate ramp for loading and unloading. It came with 13 inch tires, a spare and tounge jack that was set back far enough to pull the trailer with the tailgate down. All of this for $800 U.S.

We bought it from one of the local trailer manufacturers that makes several different styles of flatbed trailers. We both had smaller trailers that would haul one bike, and larger 2 axle trailers, but we wanted something that would haul two cruisers or tour bikes. After looking at some of the trailers available at the "chain" stores, we opted to go to a builder and buy something that was a little more versatile.

All we have to do is take our chocks off and we can haul lawnmowers or whatever we want. It's heavy enough to haul 2 large bikes and light enough that he can haul mulch behind his car. Kinda the best of both worlds.

We did spent the bucks to buy some Condor trailer chocks. :mo money: We tried the cheap tubing chocks and were not happy with the way the bikes rode. We feel the bikes are much more secure in the Condor chocks. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gerry,

I built mine out of a boat trailer that I purchased for $75. Granted I modified it myself, but it's solid. It's 9 1/2' long and 4 ' wide and pulls like a dream, I have about $600 into it and it fits either 1st or 2nd gens with no problems. This is the one that I had at Skid's last year with the '86 on it.

Frog,

If you need to haul a bike across the creek, I have a trailer I'll loan you. It is a 5x8 tilt floor. I've hauled the John Deere on it. It has a mess flooring now, but future plans are to reinforce it eventually.... I'll even bring my truck up with it and help you load it....

I know for sure a 4x8 will not be long enough. The one I got wasn't and I had to cut the front and make a extension of about 20" to make it work. :crying: Mesure twice and cut once. I have a 07 RSV.

This is not good news. I've had a 4x8 flat bed (tilting bed) that I've had for 20 years and its hauled all my motorcycles during that time, as well as doubling as a general purpose large goods & garden supplies hauler. It has a plywood bed in it that does need replacing. I may need to find a welder to put an extension on the front of it, from what you've said.

Guess I better measure my new RSTD closely, I just presumed I could use my trailer for it too.

--added--

Well the spec for the RSTD says its 98.6 inches long, and 8 feet is only 96 inches, so that equals 2.6 inches too long. I may try putting the motocycle in at a slight angle and then turning the handlebars to one side to see if I can get away without modifying the trailer as you did.

Edited by RandyR

This is not good news. I've had a 4x8 flat bed (tilting bed) that I've had for 20 years and its hauled all my motorcycles during that time, as well as doubling as a general purpose large goods & garden supplies hauler. It has a plywood bed in it that does need replacing. I may need to find a welder to put an extension on the front of it, from what you've said.

Guess I better measure my new RSTD closely, I just presumed I could use my trailer for it too.

--added--

Well the spec for the RSTD says its 98.6 inches long, and 8 feet is only 96 inches, so that equals 2.6 inches too long. I may try putting the motocycle in at a slight angle and then turning the handlebars to one side to see if I can get away without modifying the trailer as you did.

You could extend the Trailer towards the front End, mounting a Wheel Chock over the Trailer Tongue. If you'd use a hinged Wheel Chock, you could ride the Bike into the Chock, get off, tie the Bike down and you're good to go.

http://www.powerplustools.de/_image.php/image/_images/large/image.php?image=_images%2Flarge%2FPPT0377_A.jpg

I have several trailers that are capable of hauling a bike, but I find that it's better to have one that can pull double duty. Like hauling trash, moving furniture, etc. Hauling the bike comes second. Right now I have a 5x10 single axel utility with 4' sidewalls and ramp gate that's used more for hauling stuff, than hauling the bike. The side walls let me pile a bunch of stuff in it without having to batten everything down. I'm in it $750. My first chock was built out of 2x4's and screwed to the floor. Worked pretty good, but recently I bought one of those Harbor Frieght HD chocks, because the price was right..$19 bucks, just haven't installed it yet. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349

Since I have a tilt-bed trailer, I'm going to have to get creative in what I do to get a few extra inches of space. I also have to be concerned about the balance point. With my previous MCs I have ridden them onto the tilted tiltbed and just let the bed slam forward while I was on the bike. Then I get off the bike with kickstand down, and pin the the bed locked down (horizontal), then strap down the bike. That has worked well for years for me and allows me to trailer a bike alone.

The tilt-bed lock is going to constrain what I can do. Here's a picture.

http://randyrick.us/motorcycles/2009_0618trailer0003.JPG

I'm hoping that cutting away a foot of angle iron from the center of the railing, and mounting a wheel chock such that the front tire remains on the existing trailer bed will be sufficient. And allow the weight to be centered ever so slightly forward of the balance point of the trailer bed.

Hey Gerald. At the Cross Lanes exit on 64 ( the way you go to Harbor Freight) there was a place that sold all kinds of trailers on the right as you got off the Interstate. I think they are still there. Have you checked them out?? If I get a cage to get down that way I'll stop and look.

--added--

It is the trunk on the RSV that gets in the way. I use a 5X8 CarryOn trailer for all my needs. I have the swing down large mesh gate and use rails on the side to extend the gate back far enough to allow the Venture to ride on it. This has been an excellant trailer and I bought it slightly used for $500.

:farmer:

It is the trunk on the RSV that gets in the way. I use a 5X8 CarryOn trailer for all my needs. I have the swing down large mesh gate and use rails on the side to extend the gate back far enough to allow the Venture to ride on it. This has been an excellant trailer and I bought it slightly used for $500.

Thanks, then my existing 4x8 should work once I replace the old & soft flooring with a new sheet of treated plywood I already have painted for that purpose.

I'll stop thinking about mods until I try it.

:happy65:

I bought one of those trailers several years ago to haul my ATV. When I got ot home (8 miles), it was missing 3 lugnuts and most of the rest were loose. Took it back and bought anotherr trailer somewhere else...

I bought a 5x8 CarryOn trailer today.Now to lay down a wood floor on top of the mesh. I have several treated 1x6 decking boards laying around for this.If I need to modify the front for additional 6 inches of clearance thats fine. I could not see paying more money for the 10 ft model.

+1 on that. The Venture is definitely longer than 8'. You CAN cut/weld and extension on the front to give you the length you need (or buy a 10' trailer):hurts:

Guest curtismiller

You need a 10 ft trailer.Never extend a 8 ft er as you are changing the weight and balance in reference to the axle.Also do not put your faith in chocks .Its how you strap the bike down that counts.Also use a portable ramp because fold up type catch a lot of air and causes the trailer to pull bad at hiway speeds.I am an old man and been there done this. Curtis