IGNORED

What would you buy or build?

FROG MAN

I lucked up, I think, on a used 5X12 "Big Tex" 305A trailer for $900.00 cash. It has 15" wheels and 2X6 wood flooring. I added the $30.00 H/F chock. I think I will eventually move the chock back about a foot and add an across the bed pick-up truck tool box across the front. Also I plan to put a hinge in the fold up ramp to cut the height in half.

When I first got my trailer, I went with a 5x10 tilt bed thinking it would work great. Bad idea. I dropped my bike the first time I tried to load it because the bed didn't tilt down. There I was with 900# of motorcycle sticking straight up in the air. Tried backing it down as slowly as possible and lost it. Took the trailer back and got one with the lift gate. Much easier to load. BOOMER........put me a cool saying at the end of this would ya!!

It is the trunk on the RSV that gets in the way. I use a 5X8 CarryOn trailer for all my needs. I have the swing down large mesh gate and use rails on the side to extend the gate back far enough to allow the Venture to ride on it. This has been an excellant trailer and I bought it slightly used for $500.

I bought a 5x8 CarryOn trailer today.Now to lay down a wood floor on top of the mesh. I have several treated 1x6 decking boards laying around for this.If I need to modify the front for additional 6 inches of clearance thats fine. I could not see paying more money for the 10 ft model.

Frogman,

Take it from the Ole "Frogmaster" you want the flooring to be 2x6 (Which actually measures 1.5" x 5.5") and either pressure treated (green stuff) or deck stain by Co called CABOT. An 850 lbs RSV on a trailer doing 75 mph on I-75 and hits a (dip in the road) can create greater than 1.0 G-Forces thus temporarily placing more weight under each tire. I have seen several vehicles bust thru 1" planking, especially after a few years and rotting. Good Luck.