IGNORED

1st Genners-Not a war

Gambit

This isnt trying to spark ANOTHER debate. you all know i am new to this and i finally got bored enough to search for pictures of a First Gen. I saw a picture of someone sitting on their seat and took a picture of the controls. I swear the first thing that popped in my mind was "ground control to major tom"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear the first thing that popped in my mind was "ground control to major tom"

yup, not anyone can handle this bike, some are intimidated just looking at the controls. I suggest that, like an astronaut, the first gen driver is at the top of his game, he has the right stuff, he is like his bike...a finely tuned machine, he has come a long way to be at the top of the pyramid, perhaps he has even bought the farm once or twice, he goes where no one has gone before, where few even bother to tread...................those who have the rare opportunity to sit in the cockpit don't dare turn the key, they don't have the guts, looking at the controls they just roll their eyes and in the stupor of wonderment they mumble something elemental like, "ground control to major tom" sshheeeeshhh

:rasberry:

yup, not anyone can handle this bike, some are intimidated just looking at the controls. I suggest that, like an astronaut, the first gen driver is at the top of his game, he has the right stuff, he is like his bike...a finely tuned machine, he has come a long way to be at the top of the pyramid, perhaps he has even bought the farm once or twice, he goes where no one has gone before, where few even bother to tread...................those who have the rare opportunity to sit in the cockpit don't dare turn the key, they don't have the guts, looking at the controls they just roll their eyes and in the stupor of wonderment they mumble something elemental like, "ground control to major tom" sshheeeeshhh

:sign yeah that: Swifty, you just can't help yourself can you? :rotfl: Even though Gambit doesen't want to start a debate it can't be helped. Some 2nd genner will chime it with some words of wit and the beat goes on. I have to agree somewhat that the 1st gen was ahead of its time. But then the world changed and they detuned the looks to what is offered now. Can you say "retro". Kind of like what Ford did by introducing the mustang to look like it did in days of old. Some X-Harley designer defected to work for Yamaha and look what came out of it. Nothing wrong with that if you what to re-live your past but we can only wonder what could have been if the Yamaha engineers kept striving for perfection unstead of following the herd.:2cents::D

Swifty, I could not have expressed it better myself............... Well Said

:thumbsup2:

:sign yeah that: Swifty, you just can't help yourself can you? :rotfl: . Nothing wrong with that if you what to re-live your past but we can only wonder what could have been if the Yamaha engineers kept striving for perfection unstead of following the herd.:2cents::D

A Gold Wing.

:sign yeah that: Swifty, you just can't help yourself can you? :rotfl: Even though Gambit doesen't want to start a debate it can't be helped. Some 2nd genner will chime it with some words of wit and the beat goes on. I have to agree somewhat that the 1st gen was ahead of its time. But then the world changed and they detuned the looks to what is offered now. Can you say "retro". Kind of like what Ford did by introducing the mustang to look like it did in days of old. Some X-Harley designer defected to work for Yamaha and look what came out of it. Nothing wrong with that if you what to re-live your past but we can only wonder what could have been if the Yamaha engineers kept striving for perfection unstead of following the herd.:2cents::D

Yea What He said :amen:

Hmmmm, musta seen mine! Just wait til this summer, I'm seriously considering buying one of those rear view cameras to use as an electronic rear view mirror so I know just how far behind me the 2nd gen'ers are:stirthepot:
Better get that camara with a super telephoto lens, maybe a Hubbard telescope...... OOOOpppppss did I say that out loud

Josh,

The controls are very futuristic looking from the stand point of when the bike came out. It was ahead of it's time when it came out and was designed to go head to head with the Goldwing, which it did very well.

Now 20+ years later the majority of the folks that own 1st gens are chasing some sort of issue. Understandable with any machine that is that old, just ask SWIFTY how many times he has had his '86 tore apart in his living room :stickpoke:

There will ALWAYS be debates when it comes to the 1st and 2nd gens. Some just dont like the G2, they say it looks like a Harley. 1st gens look like a Goldwing, always have, always will. It's all about what YOU are comfortable on, I can never go back to a 1st gen for touring as my G2 is WAY more comfortable for ME and my wife. I have had 3 of each gen and they were all fine bikes, but I got very tired of HAVING to fix issues on the 1st gens, thats why I changed over.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to me both bikes are beautiful. They have totally different styling and handle very differently, just like everyone on this website :whistling:

1st gens were way ahead of their time.

with a litlle routine maintenance they run flawless. any old bike or car needs a little TLC.

i loved the style of the first gen, futuristic, different shape, sleek, and goes like stink.

i am sure you will not be dissapointed with either 1st or 2nd gen, they both have cassete players.

cheers, Scott

A Gold Wing.

No,No,No:no-no-no: I say a "Diamond" Venture, better all round, because it would have been made by YAMAHA!:thumbsup2::D Mother, cassette players are what we get when someone on the inside of Yamaha Ind. gets a kickback. Why else would anyone still put them on 2nd gens. Maybe its Yamahas way of going green. Recycling cassette tapes.:rotfl::D

It is obvious that Yamaha was trying to attract Harley riders to the Second Gen. so it would be foolish to put a device on their scoot that is beyond the capibility of the rider to operate. Another perfect example is the speedometer, why else would Yamaha put a speedo on a scoot that looks like it came off of a Rambler if it wasn't for the fact that for the rider to ride, shift, whatch their speed and God forbid throw in some gum chewing could cause an accident, which would decrease the market share for Yamaha's version of "Hardley a Harley". And finally, my hat's off to the dark siders who have excepted the fact that they are putting around on a "Near Cage" and have taken the progression one step further and put car tires on this mutant wanna-be.

Since it seemed as if the "gloves were pretty much off" after Redneck's post I thought I would kick a little dirt back on the Second Genner's shoes! I am taking this all in fun as I hope you will!:sign just kidding: I think the First Gens and Second Gens. are Both great scoots, just different.

Earl

That Yamaha competed diligently against Honda's Gold wing for years and in sales just couldn't quite beat them. But Yamaha realized that the Harley Ultra was selling strong year after year. Yamaha decided to just start eating Harley's lunch instead of Honda's. Ergo the 2nd Gen. Gee Skydoc, I always thought the Rambler speedo was the coolest part of a second gen. At least THAT was original.:big-grin-emoticon:

It is obvious that Yamaha was trying to attract Harley riders to the Second Gen. so it would be foolish to put a device on their scoot that is beyond the capibility of the rider to operate. Another perfect example is the speedometer, why else would Yamaha put a speedo on a scoot that looks like it came off of a Rambler if it wasn't for the fact that for the rider to ride, shift, whatch their speed and God forbid throw in some gum chewing could cause an accident, which would decrease the market share for Yamaha's version of "Hardley a Harley". And finally, my hat's off to the dark siders who have excepted the fact that they are putting around on a "Near Cage" and have taken the progression one step further and put car tires on this mutant wanna-be.

Since it seemed as if the "gloves were pretty much off" after Redneck's post I thought I would kick a little dirt back on the Second Genner's shoes! I am taking this all in fun as I hope you will!:sign just kidding: I think the First Gens and Second Gens. are Both great scoots, just different.

Earl

Earl you were on a roll there for awhile.:thumbsup2: Until the end.:bang head: What are you doing sucking up for cheesecake?:bowdown: :rotfl::D

Earl

I really like the "mutant wanna-be" !!!!

Way cool Thought, Earl :happy34::happy34::happy34::happy34::happy34:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

I have always loved the styling of the 1st Gen. Even when I owned Gold Wings. I have ridden the 2nd Gen and wasn't comfortable with the handling. It has a great look and undoubtably the best luggage appearance. With that said, I realize my 1986 is OLD. It will run for many years to come. But, anything that breaks or fails is up to me to repair. My worst fear is loosing something electrical far from home. Can't drop by Yamaha and pick up a coil etc. So, sometime in the future I will purchase an additional ride. My 1986 will always be there-no plans to ever sell her.

I guess my rambling point is that as a long distance machine, I do worry if I am running 2 up on the 1986. I can stand doing repairs and calling for help. But, if we are on vacation as a couple, it sure could ruin the trip.

JB

Josh,

The controls are very futuristic looking from the stand point of when the bike came out. It was ahead of it's time when it came out and was designed to go head to head with the Goldwing, which it did very well.

Now 20+ years later the majority of the folks that own 1st gens are chasing some sort of issue. Understandable with any machine that is that old, just ask SWIFTY how many times he has had his '86 tore apart in his living room :stickpoke:

There will ALWAYS be debates when it comes to the 1st and 2nd gens. Some just dont like the G2, they say it looks like a Harley. 1st gens look like a Goldwing, always have, always will. It's all about what YOU are comfortable on, I can never go back to a 1st gen for touring as my G2 is WAY more comfortable for ME and my wife. I have had 3 of each gen and they were all fine bikes, but I got very tired of HAVING to fix issues on the 1st gens, thats why I changed over.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and to me both bikes are beautiful. They have totally different styling and handle very differently, just like everyone on this website :whistling:

If you were trying to stop a 'debate' from happening here, it doesn't seen like it's working,,, maybe you just added fuel to the fire,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I sure am injoying it. Now if the weather would only warm up a little....

Only thing ever intimidating about my 89 was 1st time I rode her was how big the fairing seemed to be! Now just seems second nature. What a great bike-- I'd take her anywhere

i rember the first time i took a test ride on my first 84 VR I couldnt see the front tire and the window not turning with the bars was weirod at first, but you probly cant see the front tire on the G2 but the fairing doese turn. any way aside from a little oil leak ive got no issues. PS I just got back from a dnner ride tonight.

1st gens were way ahead of their time.

with a litlle routine maintenance they run flawless. any old bike or car needs a little TLC.

i loved the style of the first gen, futuristic, different shape, sleek, and goes like stink.

i am sure you will not be dissapointed with either 1st or 2nd gen, they both have cassete players.

cheers, Scott

Damnit and I was looking for an 8 track player for my first gen resto. They were ahead of their time if they had genuine cassette tape players! Now all I have to do is find all thirty five of my brief case sized cassette carriers from highschool. It'll go good with my bag phone and Z. Cavriccis!

What is truly amazing is that I could fit all the music I ever owned on one microSD card less than the size of a postage stamp, along with a couple HD movies.....:puzzled: