IGNORED

With a heavy heart....

Squidley

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad I'm sad to hear this news. Sometimes life is just not fair.If a man works hard he should have the right to play hard in my book.Buying a new scoot from a financial point of view is a bad investment. However when you factor in a peace of mind element with a long term commitment to keep it then it is the only thing to do.I remember your frustration at the WV meet.I was hoping you could find a lower interest rate in your search for refinancing it to keep the payments down.You did get a good deal on that scoot compared to what others have paid.

The only way to manage finances is with a family budget. Take a hard look at your cash flow and I bet you can find ways to save money.I changed auto insurance and save $600 a year. I raised my deductible and save another $900 a year. My phone bill dropped by $20 a month just for agreeing to a 1 year contract to keep it. No problem their I've had it for over 25 years who can do without one?Remember a penny saved is a penny earned.

All of us are shaken by the uncertainty of the economy.Have a positive outlook and things will get better.When you get to the end of your rope just tie a knot in the thing and hold on.I have never been forsaken by the Lord and you will make it to. Our prayers are with you.

1st off, I want to thank all of you that have passed on the well wishes. I have recieved numerous PM's, emails and a few phone calls passing good carma our way, and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Just so there is no reading between the lines, I still have a job, that hasn't changed. Right now we are surviving on my income as Lonna isn't working as of yet. I work in a power plant that is owned by GM as we supply steam and compressed air to their several facilities on this square mile property. We all know what is happening with the big 3 and this is no room for debate, but if GM goes under, so does my job even though I work for Detroit Edison. I am just doing a bit of pre damage control as I dont see the economy getting better. Lonna and I have weathered a lot of storms together, I'm just preparing myself for the worst and hoping for the best.

Thank you all again and just so everyone who cares to know, we will be a Maintenance Day, be it in the wagon or on a different bike. You all know that I WONT be off 2 wheels for very long, and your never getting rid of me unless the boss boots my arse out of here :buttkick:

With a heavy heart...

Don't know what to say. So sorry to hear this, and if there is any thing we can do let us know Brad. We are thinking of you and Lonna and hope things work out for you. Thought you still might make it back down for Christmas and you are still welcome if you can, 2 bikes sitting here.....and you are welcome any time.

Best to you

Wow, Brad/Lonna, this makes me numb and sad. I applaud you for thinking ahead - it is such a shame that we live in fear - and worry now. I do believe that things will turn around, and believe they will for you and Lonna sooner versus later. Wishing you the best in selling your bike if that is the decision, and hoping you can get back on a scoot as soon as possible as I know that that brings such joy to you and Lonna. Good luck, buddy.

Sorry to hear what's happening Squid but we all know this is temporary. You won't be off for long. My wife has been out of work for quite a while and we are looking at the same thing. I guess the thing that's keeping me on is living down here. I can ride 12 months and the bike gets better mileage than the cars so we're looking to sell one of them instead. If GM does go into reorg. we'll just pray it doesn't effect the plant you supply.

Let's buy his bike and give it to him:thumbsup:

Nice thought Jay....but I would never accept that, I thank you for thinking of me that way.

Like I have mentioned, I'm planning ahead, if it all goes south I will have fewer worries. I know this is just a temporary thing, all of us have the hills and valleys of life. We may not be in a valley, but it is looking that way. We will come through this, my life has never been about material possesions, I've never really had them. I put my trust and faith in the common man, folks like all of you. You are the ones that teach me, because you face the same situations that I am. Even if everything bottomed out in my life, this place would give me some peace and friendship. It is becoming more evident that we need to get out of Michigan, this state is the worst in the nation, and out elected officials have run it into the ground. We are going to try and sell the house come spring, and who knows where we will show up

:confused24:

Thank you all again, a mans wealth isn't shown by his bank account, but how many lives he has touched....it appears that I am a Millionaire

:)

I think it is wise for you to at least consider this option. You may luck out and be able to sell it and relieve yourself of that financial burden. I also believe there are a tremendous amount of other bike owners that may do the same thing. We got a guy in the lab here that this last summer went from a Vulcan to a Fat Boy and now he is making $450 a month payments, but he just HAD to have a Harley.

With or without a loan, GM will not be shutting down. They may cut back some and maybe even go Chapter 11, but hopefully it will not effect your job. But, if it does, I would love to see you come to east Tennessee and we do have the TVA, since you now have power plant on your resume. It seems to be doing so good that the CEO or Director(the big guy) just got a $500,000 a year raise, not bonus but raise.

You would fit in real good down here and I think you a Lonna would both enjoy it.

RandyA

I think the club should buy a 1st gen in good shape, as a loaner bike. And lets Squidley have it to hold till he gets another scoot. I will donate $100.00 towards this cause. If we setup a paypal button and people give a dollor or two. I think we can come up with 2 grand to buy a decent 1st gen. After he doesn't need it anymore, we can keep it for the next guy/gal at a central location for the next rider or guests of the club. Or sell it or raffle it off or keep it forever.....Cause thats how long it will run after Squids gets done with her. I'm not blowing smoke, if you think this is a good idea. Lets do it. If its not a good idea, sorry I'm just trying to help. Squidley is a MC icon of sorts. I saw is name way before I ever found my bike or this site. I cant think of a whole season with no Squidley.

If you just want to sitout the year because you have other stuff that you need to attend to, thats understandable and we all have been there. Do what you got to do brother, But were here for ya. No BS....:bighug:

I think the club should buy a 1st gen in good shape, as a loaner bike. And lets Squidley have it to hold till he gets another scoot. I will donate $100.00 towards this cause. If we setup a paypal button and people give a dollor or two. I think we can come up with 2 grand to buy a decent 1st gen. After he doesn't need it anymore, we can keep it for the next guy/gal at a central location for the next rider or guests of the club. Or sell it or raffle it off or keep it forever.....Cause thats how long it will run after Squids gets done with her. I'm not blowing smoke, if you think this is a good idea. Lets do it. :bighug:
I kind of like the idea. The only issue would be liscencing and insurance. If we have someone with a legal mind that can answer those questions I would be up for it. I don't have a lot of money but I would donate something.

Actually not a bad idea. The title can be held by one person. As far as I can tell, I can use my present motorcycle insurance policy to cover a bike owned by someone else. I just have to give them the serial number and possibly a letter from the owner giving me permission to operate the bike. I checked on this a while back as a matter of curiosity when I went to do a test ride on a bike. I wanted to see if my insurance would cover the test ride. Putting a 1st Gen together wouldn't be too hard or expensive. Squidley has the driving light brackets in his garage! I would be up for this project.

JB

I too like the idea of a "loaner" bike, and it wouldn't necessarily have to be a 1st gen either. Registration and ownership could be transfered to whomever needs the bike at the time. Yes, I would contribute to the cause.

Brad, you are wrong about Michigan being the worst state. If you don't believe me, come live in NY for a while...

Brad I'm in a similar position as you except that I did work for GM and after working for them for almost 30yrs I took early retirement last May, partly because it would save some of the younger guys their jobs, but I had everything paid off and figured that I could manage on the pension that I'd start to collect next June..I'm in a grow in right now...if GM goes belly up I'm in deep doo doo, what with loss of pension and retirement savings halved due to the economy I'd have to rely on the state pension when I turn 60.

What I'm getting at is, since I got back into riding motorcycles this past couple of years and have become affiliated with the group of people on this site, even though I've never met most of them, I know there are alot of people in a more difficult position than I am and we try to help them out by encouragement, prayers and finances where possible, which makes us Family, all brothers and sisters with Don as the Big Daddy...sorry Don...no matter in good times or bad times we are there for each other as family should be. So anything you need to help out, NO PROBLEM. :080402gudl_prv:

Besides I need someone show me how to get to Don's next year. :)

Ian

PS Just found out I'm a grt uncle for the 4th time, my niece in England had a boy this morning 6lb 7oz.

Brad, the ports are expanding big time down here in Jax. Hanjin cargo from Japan is opening a big facility here in the port and the city is working on more cargo operations. Also Mayport may be getting a Nuke carrier or ship soon. I dont know if anything there would fit your criteria but at least you would be warm........:snow2:

Brad, sorry to hear of your dilema but know you're doing what is best for you and Lonna. Hope it all works out well but nobody really knows what the economy holds for us. If you two need a few days away from the North there's a spare bedroom at my house and a couple of pretty good cooks. Stay in touch.

Jim & Patricia

p.s. I'd probably let you ride my bike if you come for a visit.