IGNORED

Quitting...

Yammer Dan

I post just today about chasing Ghosts after a accident. I know I've whined about it several times on here but it was even worse than that. Every time I caught myself turning loose and riding a little bit I would tighten up again. Kept telling myself I wasn't quitting but the thought was there. Even avoided times I could have ridden this fall. And the thought was there in the back of my head. Maybe you don't want to. I rode to north Carolinia for the meet there and it wore me out instead of relaxing me like it used to. I have been tinkering with "UGLY" a little getting her right after the neglect from PV. Today I talked myself into taking her out to fill tank for winter to keep down chance of rust. As I said I have been tinkering a little and she was Purring. Filled tank and talked myself into doing a couple miles just to see how it was running. Temps around 40 and not dressed for it. Little chilly. Story is I was listening to that 1200 purr and suddenly realized I was riding pretty hot when a curve got a little tight.

DID'T TIGHTEN UP!!

Hit the next one a little harder.

Found myself riding and laughing inside my helmet.

QUIT?? Like He** I will.

Oh "BROWN SUGAR"??? I Ain't hiding no more!!! Wanna Play?? You better be ready!!

Cant let it scare you out of what you enjoy, glad to hear you had an enjoyable ride, keep it safe and have fun.........thats the Yammer we are used to.

AMEN Dan !! Glad to hear it... I don`t think any of us knows how we will react to the trauma of a crash or near crash untill it happens.. Just really glad for you !!

Take care and enjoy life !!

Kreg

Good job Dan, glad you got that monster under leash again. Just don't forget to hold onto that leash and just let a little bit out at a time! Happy you got to get out today. More than I've been able to do! But I've been having fun hot-rodding my kids 79 Camaro, so its a good trade!

Dan

Been there, done that.

I remember well the crash of 1987 on my maxim 550. Power wobble at terminal speed.

The first ride after the bike and I were in road worthy condition I found myself going 60Km/h down the highway and scared spitless.

I figured that I had 2 options.

A- twist the throttle and let the chips fall where they may.

B- go home and sell the bike.

I picked A and instantly all was right with the world.

I wonder if this is a common reaction? It has my curiosity up.

Scotty

I think mine was that I couldn't avoid this one. I've been down plenty and could always look back and say"If I hadn't or If I had This time came from nowhere and didn't have room to do anything.

Another thought. I hope the Warden skips this one. I'm not riding crazy honey, just maybe got me back.

When I was 7 years old (a long,,,, long,,,, time ago) we were on our way to church on a road that was solid ice, and so were the driveways that came on to it. Our neighbor couldn't stop coming out of his drive and rammed our car on the front fender. I still have difficulties with cars coming at me from the side, not so bad as it used to be, but it's still there. I've learned to control it and enjoy either driving or riding, but I'm forever cautious about them other folks, not their fault, just something I have to live with.

Yep just get back on it, and ride, but be sensible about it will ya, you're not getting any younger. You'll need to retrain more often as time goes on,,,,,,I know we need to train all the time,, but now you'll need to retrain your jitters as well. They come and go, go and come,,,, God Bless,,,ride on

Dan, I understand!

Back in '82, I had a Thou-Kaw (1000 Kawasaki LTD). Sweet bike and FAST! But at speeds over 100 it would pick up a front end wobble. (I now realize it was probably a steering head bearing issue.) I was staying with a friend in Carbondale Colorado, riding to Glenwood Springs. We had been making that run every morning for a week. The last day, I remember putting on my helmet (the 1st time I wore it all week) and starting out. The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital with a concusion, a dislocated shoulder and 100 stitches in my face! To this day, I still don't remember any more than that.

What I later pieced together is that we were running about 110mph (by my friends speedo) and we passed a car, on a two lane, in a left hand sweeper. I think the wobble probably started as I pulled back into my lane (making the curve even tighter). I went off the road, down a 15' embankment, past a boulder the size of a VW Bug and ended up in a huge bush sans the bike! (I never did find the headlight!)

A few months later, I asked a friend if I could ride his bike (mine was totaled, no eBay!). He said that even his roommate didn't ride his bike. I said I understood, but wanted to get back on the horse. He relented and said OK. I pulled out of his drive and turned right. It felt great! (Now, remember, the crash was in a left hander!) I went to the corner and turned right again. Hey! I was back!! No Problems! I went to the next corner, turned left and thought my heart was going to EXPLODE, it was pounding so hard! I rode a few times in the years after that but didn't get another bike untill Y2K. And for the next few years I had to work on left handers. It took three or four years before I could really push thru' a left hander. My STUPID crash in June this year was in a lefty, but it didn't really affect me this time. Maybe, like you say, because I know what I did wrong and remember all of that crash.

Sorry this was so long, but my message is: Hang in there and it will all be good again!!! :thumbsup2:

:15_8_211[1]:

Hey Dan,

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your fears and the overcoming of them with us. I often forget that I am not the only rider in this world and that my concerns and fears are shared with all riders in this group, and we draw strength from those of you who conquer these concerns and fears, It makes it all the easier for the rest of us who have had or someday will have an accident or "scare". My hats off to you for regaining the love of riding you once had.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thank You Again My Friend,

Earl

I think all of us that have had a bike accident feel the same way. I know that even though I was wanting to get back on a bike within 2 weeks of our crash, I was very apprehensive. I remember the 1st time I got the bike back up to 70 mph, it felt like I was going 100. I came home and my body hurt from being tensed up. It's something that if you continue to ride after an accident, you have to work through.

It's good to see and hear that your demons aren't controlling you, good job my friend :happy34:

I know how you felt! I had the same feeling when I came down in my plane from great hights! You just have to climb back on that horse and start riding. The more you ride the better you'll feel. Congradulations it looks like your back!!

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but Todd mentioned a front end wobble at 100+ mph on a Kaw 1000, well back in 1974 I had a first year Z1 Kaw.......903cc........Really quick bike. Well one day a friend stopped by my house and saw the bike and being an experienced rider I relented and let him take it out. Started getting worried when an hour went by and he wasnt back, then a pickup pulled up to the front of the house with the bike and him in the back, flat tire I figured, until he turned around and all I saw was his bloody backside from his butt to his shoulders. He claimed that the front end on the bike started wobbling and bouncing up and down and he lost it, until today I had never heard of any Z's doing that, I had it up to 120 mph right after I got it and never had a problem...........now I tend to believe he wasnt liying about what happened. Believe it or not, the bike sustained very little damage, 1 muffler had to be replaced, handlebars and 1 turn signal and the case saver on one side............I sold the bike shortly after that............

Dan, I understand!

Back in '82, I had a Thou-Kaw (1000 Kawasaki LTD). Sweet bike and FAST! But at speeds over 100 it would pick up a front end wobble.

I post just today about chasing Ghosts after a accident. I know I've whined about it several times on here but it was even worse than that. Every time I caught myself turning loose and riding a little bit I would tighten up again. Kept telling myself I wasn't quitting but the thought was there. Even avoided times I could have ridden this fall. And the thought was there in the back of my head. Maybe you don't want to. I rode to north Carolinia for the meet there and it wore me out instead of relaxing me like it used to. I have been tinkering with "UGLY" a little getting her right after the neglect from PV. Today I talked myself into taking her out to fill tank for winter to keep down chance of rust. As I said I have been tinkering a little and she was Purring. Filled tank and talked myself into doing a couple miles just to see how it was running. Temps around 40 and not dressed for it. Little chilly. Story is I was listening to that 1200 purr and suddenly realized I was riding pretty hot when a curve got a little tight.

DID'T TIGHTEN UP!!

Hit the next one a little harder.

Found myself riding and laughing inside my helmet.

QUIT?? Like He** I will.

Oh "BROWN SUGAR"??? I Ain't hiding no more!!! Wanna Play?? You better be ready!!

thats great, now whats this about rust in the tank. best way to avoid that is keep running fresh gas through it. :no-no-no::no-no-no: :2133: