IGNORED

avon venoms slippery

saddlebum

I put new avon venoms on my scoot and I find they feel a little slippery in the corners, almost like riding on a wet road. Has anyone else experienced this. Is it because the tires are new and not scuffed in yet? because the temp are cooler and they dont like cool weather? Or did they change to a harder compound ? At this point i really wish I had my dunlop elite II's back on the bike.

I've been using Avons for several years now and not had any problem. What I did find shortly after putting them on is under inflation will give you the feeling you described. I use 2lbs under the pressure listed on the tire max pressure. Give that a try and see if doesn't feel better.

I had the same sensation on my 98 Royal when I changed from Metzlers to Avons, I never did get used to them. It was a real stuggle to decide on which tire to put on the Venture when the stock Bridgestones wore out. I went with the Micheliens, which were good tires, but cut one on vacation and was forced into a set of Metzlers unless I wanted to wait 2 or 3 days for something else. I still like the way the Metzlers handle, I just worry about the chuncking that many others have experienced.

I experienced the same thing when I went from the dunlop to the venoms about a month ago,on the front, either it got better or I got use to the feel, don't know if it has anything to do with the feeling but I did notice the venom is smaller than the dunlop in the same size by 3/4"or maybe a little more.

I've never had the slip problem as described, but I'm wondering if the feeling is more that the front forks aren't working together on compression in the curves, and gives the feeling of the tire letting go a bit when it's actually the forks twisting??? Just a thought....???

I've got about 6,000 miles on my Avons now. I found them a little greasy in the twisties when I first got them but after a couple hundred miles the scuffing is a LOT wider than it was then and they have never let me down in the curves. I have ridden in some of the worst storms we have seen here in the midwest and they are probably the best wet surface tire I have ever used.

Spend some time leaning that bike through the curves and they will come around. If you only have a couple of inches wide of scuffing they aren't broken in yet. LOL! And check that tire pressure on a regular basis. A few pounds make a hell of a difference on these tires.

I've got about 6,000 miles on my Avons now. I found them a little greasy in the twisties when I first got them but after a couple hundred miles the scuffing is a LOT wider than it was then and they have never let me down in the curves. I have ridden in some of the worst storms we have seen here in the midwest and they are probably the best wet surface tire I have ever used.

Spend some time leaning that bike through the curves and they will come around. If you only have a couple of inches wide of scuffing they aren't broken in yet. LOL! And check that tire pressure on a regular basis. A few pounds make a hell of a difference on these tires.

i agree thems called chicken strips. when you get that back tire down to a chicken strip of a 1/4 inch or less they're broke in and ready for heavy duty riding. if you ride with this bunch they will narrow them chicken strips real fast for you. we got some real roadracers on here, like wingman, muffinman, and swifty ,to name a few. if you can stay with them your avons pass the test. bill :2133:

Im on my second set of Avons. My first set seemed to slip when I first got them even after I had 300 to 500 miles on them.. but then they quit slipping...at least it apears they quit or I either got used to them and didnt notice..

My new set that I just put on last weekend seems to hold the road very well. They have not slipped at all, and I have rode on some twisties..

Cant really give you a good answer...not sure how many miles you have on them, but take your time give them some miles and then see if your set quits slipping..

I really think both sides of the center line of tread needs to get some wear in before you will notice them not slipping. Until then, take your time and ride safe..

Rode 303 miles today in cool weather,had 36 front and 42 rear. I rode solo and checked the tires after 121 miles of pretty good pace riding in the morning and they didn't feel like they warmed up. Checked them when I got home after around 120 miles of riding and the same thing. Not that warm.The tires only have around 600 miles or so on them. Rode them easy the first 200 miles or so, then it was ride as normal with no problems. You my try some 200 or so grit sand paper and scuff them up a little.I did mine before mounting them. I had Dunlop D404,s on the bike before and hated them.The bike is like a completely new bike with the Avon Venoms. I would go back to Dunlops if you gave me a new set for free.

2003 Vulcan Classic 1500 with Avon Venom X's

Run 40 front and 50 back

34,000kms on first rear tire with 2mm of thread left

56,000kms on front with just under 2mm of thread left

"New" back one has 36,000kms on it right now with just under 4mm of thread

Guess I'll just have to give these puppys some time to break in maybe Ill try the sand paper thing. I did notice coming home from Marcarl's today when on the highway they did handle those tarred in repair strips (road snakes) better, didn't even feel them.

Guess I'll just have to give these puppys some time to break in maybe Ill try the sand paper thing. I did notice coming home from Marcarl's today when on the highway they did handle those tarred in repair strips (road snakes) better, didn't even feel them.

How did they work with the lower pressure???

Be sure all the slick stuff is off the surface of the tire if new...Also if not use to the tire and have been running say Dunlaps(nothing bad about those tires),The Avons will fall into the corners effortlessly and people new to them I have found seem to countersteer to much making it feel "slippery"..Now I am no expert on this but that is what I noticed. I just put on 650+ miles this weekend and scraped my highway pegs twice pulling the trailer and they stuck like glue.Tom

Give a few hundred miles for the tires to break in, I have run many different tires and for me the Avons have been the best I have used. Run the pressures near max and tune the suspension. I think that you will find the Avons will stick like glue once they are scuffed.