IGNORED

Move me to the “Have” column…

Albino Rhino

I decided to write this for the safety column so that others may learn from my misfortune. Before we go further: I respect your decision to dress as you desire; we’re all adults here.

As the saying goes, there are those that have been down, and those that will go down. My questions to you: Are you prepared to go down without notice? Are you adequately protected?

I also recognize that the dynamics in any crash are unique to that incident; adequate protection in one case may be inadequate in another case. So the wheel turns…

My crash happened this past Wednesday morning at about 6:20 a.m. while commuting to work. I was number two in line in a left-turn lane waiting for the green turn arrows. This is a protected left turn, turn only on green arrow. The light changed and the vehicle in front of me completed his turn before I entered the opposing lanes. As I was crossing the two opposing lanes, my peripheral vision saw the front end of a car approaching very near the trike. I immediately rolled on throttle, trying to get out of the way, but did not make it.

The collision ejected me from the bike and I landed on my right side. It was dark. It took a bit to get my bearings; I guess I was looking at the street surface immediately after impact. I remained still and started assessing my condition. I now could see some light; I was breathing, but I had some pain in my right side, I was stunned. As I continued to lie where I landed slowly continuing assessing my condition, people started arriving. After a bit, I slowly turned onto my back (no increase in pain, no new pain in other areas) and opened the front of my Nolan N102 helmet so I could speak clearly.

My entire right side is in pain; now my right wrist hurts. I am informed by one of the people on scene that rescue is on the way. I acknowledge the information and thank him for his help. I continue to remain still, not knowing the extent of my injuries. The driver that hit me came to my side and apologized, but stated, “I had the green light and you turned in front of me.” The witnessing driver of the vehicle in the lane next to the offending driver told the law enforcement officer that the light was red for both of their lanes.

The paramedics arrived and took charge. They started asking the (I assume) standard questions to determine my alertness and condition and started examining me. I confirmed that I had no neck pain, but of course, they put me a collar around my neck as they removed my helmet. The Nolan chin strap fastening system is a bit different, so I removed my lightly insulated leather gloves (temp was in the mid-50s) and released the chin strap for them.

After determining the extent of injuries—apparently only my right side and right wrist, the paramedics slowly worked me out of the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket, Sidi On Road boots (and my socks), and First Gear Hypertex overpants, in that order. (I’m sure the insurance company will be grateful the riding gear was not cut off of me. ) Then I was rolled on to a backboard and strapped down for the short ride to the ER.

No need for a blow-by-blow of the ER stuff. The attending physician, after my negative reports of pain in my head or neck, removed the neck brace. X-rays revealed a broken bone in my right wrist, no broken bones in my pelvis. I slowly hobbled from the hospital with my right arm in a temporary cast, a referral to an Orthopedic physician, and an Rx for pain meds.

Considering what happened and what could have happened, my injuries are minor—a broken bone in my wrist and, apparently, deep tissue bruising on the rear right quadrant of my back, starting from the mid-point of my side and ending before the spine.

I examined the riding gear. The jacket, pants, and boots show no sign of impact with the pavement; they will continue in-service. The helmet, however, shows impact damage on the right rear quadrant, behind the chin bar hinge area. I do not recall my head striking the pavement, but, obviously, it did, and the helmet performed superbly protecting my head. The replacement helmet will be my third Nolan N100 series…

In a situation like this, one can only be prepared. If the rider is already dressed properly, the outcome will be more positive than if he or she is not.

As I have stated, I was making a protected left turn. Both lanes of opposing traffic were stopped; their signal was red. My conjecture is the at-fault driver was not paying attention, suddenly noticed traffic was moving and just started going without assessing the situation.

My right wrist will be in a splint (no cast!) for six weeks, and I go to my personal doctor Monday for the pain in my side. The pain presents itself as muscular in nature, so I don’t expect any long-term skeletal problems.

I was riding a Goldwing trike, and the collision point of impact seems to be at the right rear fender, the wheel took the impact. Had I been on two wheels, I suspect my right leg would have taken some of the impact.

Keep your head moving, y’all. If you think your safe, you’ve overlooked something.

Edited by Albino Rhino

Sorry to hear of your mishap there AR. Glad to see you're writing this and that your injuries aren't too severe. Goes to show you that even on 3 wheels one must remain viligant for those cages out to cause mayhem to us riders.

I'm not supprised the other driver tried to blame you either. That seems to be standard procedure anymore. Supprisingly he didn't use the excuse he didn't see ya???

Heal quick and hope the damage to your bike isn't too extensive.

Larry

MAN! these type posts are getting to be an almost WEEKLY thing!

i am happy that you had all your gear on, and are here to help "educate us".

i also hope your insurance company takes her insurance company "to the cleaners".

heal quick, and as pain free as is possible.

just jt

Hey Mike,

Both Jean and I are glad to hear that you faired as well as you did in your accident. Thank you for reminding us that good riding gear is an important part of the riding experience. We both hope you heal quickly and return to riding as soon as possible.:pushups:

Earl and Jean

man sorry to here about the crash, glad your not too hurt,you dont think about going down too much when your on 3 wheels. wife just said she wanted some chaps for the colder weather(went riding today it was 53 degrees)we will be going shopping cause of your story,how bad is the trike? keep us posted.

Larry,

Im certainly happy to hear your able to write and tell us about it. The bike, well, it can be repaired or replaced..

You on the other hand I hope repair well and are able to spring back better then you were before.

:thumbsup2:

Guest Ken8143

Sorry to hear of the mishap - so glad you are here to tell us about it. I haven't regretted a cent I paid for protective gear. Don't want to ever go down, but if I do, I want to have very advantage coming out of it with low damage. Especially my head.

In my rotation at the ER, we had a Harley rider that zigged when he should have zagged. skipped down the road (and gravel,grass,rocks etc.) Leather pants saved his legs but the Wife Beater shirt and no melon protector means that he almost became the answer to the prayers of dialysis patients waiting for a transplant. I may look like a black leather grandpa (add the mil-spec neon vest) but I am not the most coordinated anyway so its me against them. Sorry to hear about the crash AM. I hope you get back in the saddle quick. Abrasions heal and Chicks dig scars right?:starz:

Glad you came out as well as you did. Be carefull with the Insurance people. Trained Crooks is what they are.

I suspect things will work out okay; there is too much riding on this for them not to keep me happy. They get only one episode of being stupid; if they persist they will deal with my attorney.

To All:

Thank you for the good wishes. As soon as the doc gives me the green light I'll be riding again. :thumbsup2:

man sorry to here about the crash, glad your not too hurt,you dont think about going down too much when your on 3 wheels. wife just said she wanted some chaps for the colder weather(went riding today it was 53 degrees)we will be going shopping cause of your story,how bad is the trike? keep us posted.

From my post you can probably imagine that I recommend more than chaps, but that's you decision.:thumbsup2:

The trike part of the bike is messed up pretty good: axel out of alignment ~20-30 degrees, which means attaching structural componets are bent. Probably a new trike kit complete. If the bike's frame isn't bent, I'll get the this trike back. If the frame is bent, I'm sure it will be totaled (hidden damage and all that...) and I'll buy another trike.

• 3 weeks later...

It's great that you were as prepared...saved you from a lot more pain for certain.

You always imagine in your head that in an accident, you will do this or that, but reality comes much more quickly than you have time to think. I had a wreck on my bicycle earlier this summer while not wearing any protective gear and had injuries very similar to yours. Take that and add the speed of the motorcycle and these things happen so quickly the only thing you have time and presence of mind to do is to utter your favorite swear word as you are going down and to wonder how badly it is going to hurt and hope the gear is padded in the right spots.

Our neighbor and good friend is a nurse and (I'm sure you've all heard this before) she says the medical profession calls them "donorcycles". She also said that national organ donation month is in April specifically because of motorcyclists getting out on the roads in the spring, not prepared, and the roads having a lot of winter sand/salt still on them and the resulting fatal accidents.

Best piece of advice I received when I started riding again, many years removed from riding as a teenager out on the farm, jumping terraces and having fun, was when you ride out on the street, to remember 3 things:

1) You are invisible

2) You are made of glass when you are on the bike (this is where the gear helps!)

3) Everyone is trying to kill you.

Best wishes and heal quickly!

I always feel much safer in full gear but admittedly don’t always wear it.

Many accidents occur at intersections so it’s important to know the rules of the road and to be paying attention. As you know that’s not always going to be enough and from time to time there is always someone who is not paying attention and will come flying through. I don’t know how many times I’ve been sitting at a red light, two bike side by side. The light turns green, one bike proceeds, then the other but the car behind advances when the first bike lets off the break almost hitting the other.

What people often forget is that only one vehicle is allowed in an intersection at a time and if a vehicle is in an intersection when the light changes they have the right of way to clear the intersection. It seems that people are in such a rush, so impatient and often distracted. This is an expense to us all in more ways then one.

Thanks for your write-up it was well done and a good reminder for us all. As our membership numbers increase so to will stories like this. I’m glad to hear you faired well and wish you a full and quick recovery... you are that much wiser now and hopefully so to are we all! Cheers to that!

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your situation, Mike, and hope you have a very speedy and very complete recovery. Thanks for presenting your info in a such a clear and precise manner. I'm glad you were "all geared up" because you are so right: when it happens, it happens fast, and anything that the rider can do to potentially minimize a negative outcome is a positive thing to do!

Kindest Regards,

Terry

It's great that you were as prepared...saved you from a lot more pain for certain.

You always imagine in your head that in an accident, you will do this or that, but reality comes much more quickly than you have time to think. I had a wreck on my bicycle earlier this summer while not wearing any protective gear and had injuries very similar to yours. Take that and add the speed of the motorcycle and these things happen so quickly the only thing you have time and presence of mind to do is to utter your favorite swear word as you are going down and to wonder how badly it is going to hurt and hope the gear is padded in the right spots.

LOL; I didn't even have time to do that.

Our neighbor and good friend is a nurse and (I'm sure you've all heard this before) she says the medical profession calls them "donorcycles". She also said that national organ donation month is in April specifically because of motorcyclists getting out on the roads in the spring, not prepared, and the roads having a lot of winter sand/salt still on them and the resulting fatal accidents.

Best piece of advice I received when I started riding again, many years removed from riding as a teenager out on the farm, jumping terraces and having fun, was when you ride out on the street, to remember 3 things:

1) You are invisible A burgandy colored trike in the dark is probably near invisible, right?

2) You are made of glass when you are on the bike (this is where the gear helps!)

3) Everyone is trying to kill you. Yes, they are; keep your head moving and take nothing for granted!

Best wishes and heal quickly!

Thanks!

I always feel much safer in full gear but admittedly don’t always wear it.

Many accidents occur at intersections so it’s important to know the rules of the road and to be paying attention. Amen! I've made that turn at least 200 times during the past year, and if I visually cleared the intersection, I don't conciously remember it. As you know that’s not always going to be enough and from time to time there is always someone who is not paying attention and will come flying through. I don’t know how many times I’ve been sitting at a red light, two bike side by side. The light turns green, one bike proceeds, then the other but the car behind advances when the first bike lets off the break almost hitting the other.

What people often forget is that only one vehicle is allowed in an intersection at a time and if a vehicle is in an intersection when the light changes they have the right of way to clear the intersection. It seems that people are in such a rush, so impatient and often distracted. This is an expense to us all in more ways then one.

Thanks for your write-up it was well done and a good reminder for us all. As our membership numbers increase so to will stories like this. I’m glad to hear you faired well and wish you a full and quick recovery... you are that much wiser now and hopefully so to are we all! Cheers to that!

Thanks!

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your situation, Mike, and hope you have a very speedy and very complete recovery. Thanks for presenting your info in a such a clear and precise manner. I'm glad you were "all geared up" because you are so right: when it happens, it happens fast, and anything that the rider can do to potentially minimize a negative outcome is a positive thing to do!

Kindest Regards,

Terry

Thanks, Terry

Oh, man, Mike! That pretty trike trashed! :scared: :crying:

Oh yeah, glad you're OK too!!! :whistling:

Seriously, I ride to work every day at about that same time and have to deal with busy streets, but fortunately only one major left turn. At that time of day I consider the people that are out on the road with me to be sleepy, late for work, putting on makeup, eating a quick breakfast and talking to someone on the phone. Not just one or two of these things, but all of them together! One has to be overly aware.

I thought you were living in Jasper but I just noticed Canton on your location?:confused07: Since I'm right here in Marietta, give me a call if you need anything. My cell # is in my profile. You oughta join us at the Canton Hooters on Thursday nights for Bike Night. I usually get there about 6pm and, since I'm up early for work, I leave by about 8.

Again, I'm glad you're not banged up too bad and will be able to ride again soon.

Oh, man, Mike! That pretty trike trashed! :scared: :crying:

Oh yeah, glad you're OK too!!! :whistling:

Seriously, I ride to work every day at about that same time and have to deal with busy streets, but fortunately only one major left turn. At that time of day I consider the people that are out on the road with me to be sleepy, late for work, putting on makeup, eating a quick breakfast and talking to someone on the phone. Not just one or two of these things, but all of them together! One has to be overly aware.

I thought you were living in Jasper but I just noticed Canton on your location?:confused07: Since I'm right here in Marietta, give me a call if you need anything. My cell # is in my profile. You oughta join us at the Canton Hooters on Thursday nights for Bike Night. I usually get there about 6pm and, since I'm up early for work, I leave by about 8.

Again, I'm glad you're not banged up too bad and will be able to ride again soon.

Hi Todd! Yeah, considering the could have beens, I got off light: broken wrist and a broken rib. :hurts: And yes, the trike is trashed--probably totaled--about $24.5k estimated repair cost, but it can be replaced. (There is a new--11 miles--'08 white GW trike on the showroom floor.:whistling:) And I still have the MM Venture, which if I can't sell will become my commuter bike.

We were living in Jasper, but bought a house in Cherokee County last year.

Thanks for the good wishes. :sun:

Glad your not too banged up. As we all know the simplest of mishaps on a bike/trike can spell disaster. In the past I have been behind on the protection gear. The one time I high-sided when I "failed to negotiate" a right hand bend. Still don't know what happened... anyways,I wore a old 3/4 leather I had in the closet. Cold and damp and rainy that morning. It was a real thick high end jacket I had gotten from a friend. It saved my ass. The lower right panel was like a babys butt from sliding across the road. I got body slammed and the skid with the bike chasing me as it flipped once or twice. No cars come in the oncoming. Thank god. Crappy helmet I had, saved my head from a bump too.I always where gloves from my bicycle riding experiences. Got back on the bike and rode it to work. Bent handle bars and broke fork brace, dented tank from the slapping and road rash for my previously unblemished bike. Remembering how that jacket saved me. I bought a firstgear textile jacket on ebay last week. Its nice, I got a $400.00 "Sirocco" jacket for $100.00 plus I got 25% back with Microsoft's "cashback" program. I think I'm gonna want the pants now. The jacket seems to be really well made and thought out and I like the idea of removing some of the dangers of going down and sliding etc. So, I'm gonna be geared up and looking like a nerd too, I need to get the pants and some riding boots so I'm cover head to toe:12101:PS:Hope everything works out for you.