IGNORED

Pocket carry

tufftom4

I've been happy with my Glock 42. It's the only 380 that Glock has, and I couldn't be happier. Small enough to carry anywhere, even in a pocket of cargo shorts, but still pack enough power to provide protection. If you're looking for something to carry, Look into the Glock 42, or 43 if you prefer 9mm.

Thanks I'll have to remember that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never open carry for many reasons:

1) too many incidences someone has had their gun taken

2) you'll be first to get shot

3) you'll lose your element of surprise

When you're carrying a pocket pistol, you'll probably out gunned anyway, element of surprise is your greatest advantage

I've got mixed feelings about this one.. I can see your point Skidder but I also know that most LEO's open carry and, just another IMHO's, I gotta hunch that bad guys shy away from doing their nasty deeds in the presents of a pistol toting LEO or 2 or 3. I often wonder if everyone who is Concealed Carrying would switch to Open Carry,, what kind of effect it would have on the criminal element..:lightbulb: As a science experiment, maybe "we the people" should have a National Open Carry Day in the States where the 2nd Amendment is still applicable to see if my hunch is true? :missingtooth:

I've got mixed feelings about this one.. I can see your point Skidder but I also know that most LEO's open carry and, just another IMHO's, I gotta hunch that bad guys shy away from doing their nasty deeds in the presents of a pistol toting LEO or 2 or 3. I often wonder if everyone who is Concealed Carrying would switch to Open Carry,, what kind of effect it would have on the criminal element..:lightbulb: As a science experiment, maybe "we the people" should have a National Open Carry Day in the States where the 2nd Amendment is still applicable to see if my hunch is true? :missingtooth:

But there is a big difference between a trained law enforcement and your average open carry individual with no powers of arrest. The officer is much more threatening to a suspect. The officer also has a holster designed to be secure from someone else removing the firearm. Unlike most holsters on the market. It depends on how the person is carrying and his level of professionalism. Some people I’ve saw has no business with a gun at all with a holster that a gun cult fall out of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But there is a big difference between a trained law enforcement and your average open carry individual with no powers of arrest. The officer is much more threatening to a suspect. The officer also has a holster designed to be secure from someone else removing the firearm. Unlike most holsters on the market. It depends on how the person is carrying and his level of professionalism. Some people I’ve saw has no business with a gun at all with a holster that a gun cult fall out of

Yeppers,, I get that,, it is a double edged sword IMHO. In thinking about this = "there is a big difference between a trained law enforcement and your average open carry individual" though, for me I think best to always remember there is a big NON-difference between the two too though, that being that the 2nd Amendment applies equally to all parties and that maybe open carrying would be a good reminder to the bad guys of that fact, as well as all the honest world too.

Besides Skid,, holsters that are designed to be secure aint that expensive :missingtooth: and, most little Pocket Shooters aint none to accurate and are actually more finicky/tricky to handle than a full sized shooter. Plus, the full sized side arm usually has a higher capacity mag and tends to be more accurate. I do get your point brother,, I am just not so sure which I prefer,, an untrained lop eared good guy varmint with a 2 shot derringer loaded and bouncing around in his pocket or the same individual with a 5 inch Beretta 92 strapped to his side with 17 rounds in it, in a secured holster of course:big-grin-emoticon:

who is Concealed Carrying would switch to Open Carry,, what kind of effect it would have on the criminal element.. As a science experiment, maybe "we the people" should have a National Open Carry Day in the States where the 2nd Amendment is still applicable to see if my hunch is true?

Puc your :bang head: I am pretty sure that idea was tried in the mid to late 1800's without much success. :duck: :rotfl:

Yeppers,, I get that,, it is a double edged sword IMHO. In thinking about this = "there is a big difference between a trained law enforcement and your average open carry individual" though, for me I think best to always remember there is a big NON-difference between the two too though, that being that the 2nd Amendment applies equally to all parties and that maybe open carrying would be a good reminder to the bad guys of that fact, as well as all the honest world too.

Besides Skid,, holsters that are designed to be secure aint that expensive :missingtooth: and, most little Pocket Shooters aint none to accurate and are actually more finicky/tricky to handle than a full sized shooter. Plus, the full sized side arm usually has a higher capacity mag and tends to be more accurate. I do get your point brother,, I am just not so sure which I prefer,, an untrained lop eared good guy varmint with a 2 shot derringer loaded and bouncing around in his pocket or the same individual with a 5 inch Beretta 92 strapped to his side with 17 rounds in it, in a secured holster of course:big-grin-emoticon:

There you go again Puc, calling me names because I like to carry a two shot derringer in my pocket.:no-no-no: But remember that derringer that I carry spits out five .357 pellets with each .410 shot and it has a 4.25" barrel.:banana: Now granted I would rather have my full size 9mm or .45 acp but in a pinch the Bond Arms derringer will save the day...as long as there aren't innocents near by.:doh:

:farmer:

So since this thread started we have had 2 "accidental discharges" in public places in like a week or so here in Tampa bay area. One was a cop in a middle school in the cafeteria. He was leaning up against the wall in the lunch room and it "accidentally went off" No safety was engaged. The Chief said officers dont typically use the safety. I'm like "what the hell?" Then yesterday there was a civilian in a grocery store that his "Pasco man accidentally shoots himself at Publix" Lucky for both these guys nobody was injured. Well except the guy in grocery store, he shot himself in the leg. Just carma imop. Why in the heck would a cop in school NOT have a safety engaged? If you draw the weapon it dont take an eye blink as your drawing to turn it off.

who is Concealed Carrying would switch to Open Carry,, what kind of effect it would have on the criminal element.. As a science experiment, maybe "we the people" should have a National Open Carry Day in the States where the 2nd Amendment is still applicable to see if my hunch is true?

Puc your :bang head: I am pretty sure that idea was tried in the mid to late 1800's without much success. :duck: :rotfl:

Actually I got a hunch the side arm carry of the 1800's was very successful Roller.. I am not one to buy into the old gunfight stuff we all read about of those days. Rather than that, I gotta theory that those Cowboys actual used the open carry routine more for protecting themselves from rattle snakes and the like and the occasional trip to the Alamo when necessary, more of tool of the trade in that way. The gunfight stories do make for some pretty cool :stickpoke: movies. I also think that had the Brits known that we were all armed they may have never attempted took a shot at taking over our Country even before the 1800's.. Funny how a bunch of farmers who are armed can not only protect themselves/their loved ones but also their very way of life. From that prospective, I am one of those who think open carry back then was a HUGE success and, quite possibly could be today too :duck::rasberry:

Edited by cowpuc

There you go again Puc, calling me names because I like to carry a two shot derringer in my pocket.:no-no-no: But remember that derringer that I carry spits out five .357 pellets with each .410 shot and it has a 4.25" barrel.:banana: Now granted I would rather have my full size 9mm or .45 acp but in a pinch the Bond Arms derringer will save the day...as long as there aren't innocents near by.:doh:

:scared:,, cool Sly,, wayy cool!! So does this .410 Derringer have a rifled barrel brother? If so, doesnt the rifling tend to sling the "shot" recklessly once out of the bore? You ever "pattern" it Sly and see what it does on card board? Be a shame to have a :256: in the doorway of your bedroom, pull the trigger and miss the :256: only to clean off a book shelf 10 feet to the side of the doorway :missingtooth:..

Oh, I have shot it many times and the pellets come out in a linear pattern. At eight yards all five will hit a twelve inch paper on approximately the same horizontal plane. I have a ported barrel on it so recoil is light. It also shoots .45 LC but it is hard to keep on target.

Oh, I have shot it many times and the pellets come out in a linear pattern. At eight yards all five will hit a twelve inch paper on approximately the same horizontal plane. I have a ported barrel on it so recoil is light. It also shoots .45 LC but it is hard to keep on target.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup2::clap2::clap2:!!!!! Wayyyyyy cool!!:Laugh:

So since this thread started we have had 2 "accidental discharges" in public places in like a week or so here in Tampa bay area. One was a cop in a middle school in the cafeteria. He was leaning up against the wall in the lunch room and it "accidentally went off" No safety was engaged. The Chief said officers dont typically use the safety. I'm like "what the hell?" Then yesterday there was a civilian in a grocery store that his "Pasco man accidentally shoots himself at Publix" Lucky for both these guys nobody was injured. Well except the guy in grocery store, he shot himself in the leg. Just carma imop. Why in the heck would a cop in school NOT have a safety engaged? If you draw the weapon it dont take an eye blink as your drawing to turn it off.

Probably Glocks, the most accidentally fired handgun of all time. As I understand the “safety” is released when you pull the trigger! Huh?

Actually I got a hunch the side arm carry of the 1800's was very successful Roller.. I am not one to buy into the old gunfight stuff we all read about of those days. Rather than that, I gotta theory that those Cowboys actual used the open carry routine more for protecting themselves from rattle snakes and the like and the occasional trip to the Alamo when necessary, more of tool of the trade in that way. The gunfight stories do make for some pretty cool :stickpoke: movies. I also think that had the Brits known that we were all armed they may have never attempted took a shot at taking over our Country even before the 1800's.. Funny how a bunch of farmers who are armed can not only protect themselves/their loved ones but also their very way of life. From that prospective, I am one of those who think open carry back then was a HUGE success and, quite possibly could be today too :duck::rasberry:

I used to watch the History channel a lot and according to those old west shows there is only one documented gunfight where two guys faced off in the street. Wild Bill Hickok had a fight with another guy who drew and fired first. He missed and Hickok shot the guy through the heart at 75 paces, a remarkable shot with those old guns. Supposedly most people who were shot in the old west got shot in the back.

IMHO... if I were ever to carry anything in my pocket it would have to be something small that had knock down power. Trying to defend myself against any aggressor with a small caliper pistol would only end up pissing them off.... I do own a S&W 60 3" in 357 mag with a Crimson Trace set of grips that is about the only thing that I'd ever consider carrying. A small J frame with plenty of stopping power with JHP ammo. It seems silly to have to shoot more than once.... :whistling: IMVHO.... :-)

I'm curious.... How many of you farmers have actually killed a rattler??? And what did you use to do the deed?? I've only killed one. 12 ga. Out dove hunting and came across one that measured 5'6" with thirteen buttons when I skinned it out. Decided that I could eat the meat if the time came...

I'm curious.... How many of you farmers have actually killed a rattler??? And what did you use to do the deed?? I've only killed one. 12 ga. Out dove hunting and came across one that measured 5'6" with thirteen buttons when I skinned it out. Decided that I could eat the meat if the time came...

I have eaten Rattle Snake before and WOWZY WOW WOW WOW is it good!! It's a little saltier than chicken but really does taste like it. It also has a much better meat texture IMHO,, sort of like Shrimp with that snappyness to it.. Good stuff!! Years ago I pulled up beside a ranch truck on one of my first gens out in Wyoming and there was a loaded (I could see the rounds in the cylinder - it was a Nickle Plated 357 revolver) handgun laying on the trucks seat. I asked the rancher if that was legal.. He laughed and said ohhh yeah, if you see a ranch truck out here be assured it has a shooter in it. He also said they dont ranch without one cause the Rattlers are so common and that he had shot over 100 Rattlers the year before.. Later, while eating lunch, I sat next to a group of Wyoming State Troopers and asked about the legality of carrying a loaded handgun in a ranch truck. Their response matched the ranchers response.

Another time down in New Mexico I had dropped tent at the entrance of an old abandoned rest area while CTFW doing Route 66. I camped right next to the fence,, nice spot! About 7am a rancher in another old truck pulls up to see if I was ok. After chatting a bit, he was telling me his concern was Rattle Snakes. Apparently they had to close the rest area because of them!! I was sort of disappointed because in allll my years of CTFW in the western deserts I have yet to even see one in the wild!! @videoarizona knew that and sent me a video of one that came to visit a camp spot he was inhabiting,, for a lop eared varmint, he sure seems to be a lucky one!!:missingtooth:

While I was prepping the trailer for the last trip, I was walking back and forth across the yard loading from the garage to the trailer. On one trip, something didn't seem right. I turned around and looked at the yard.....finally saw this. See if you can pick him out. Hint: About 6 feet long.

20190416_151226.jpg

On our last camping trip, I wasn't paying attention. Our hostess saw the little guy and got him with a shovel. Chopped his head off. Then buried the head because the head can still bite and she had dogs....She skinned the rest, put the skin in the freezer and took the meat outside to feed the coyotes and such that drop by for a snack.

20190424_171015.jpg

BTW, he was sunning himself right next to the pad area where I parked the trailer. I must have walked around and by him 3 or 4 times. With my hearing, I would have never heard him rattle and warn me.

20190424_141845copy.jpg

Can you see him ...look in the red circle....

Fun stuff....

Edited by videoarizona

I am going to upset some of you but I absolutely love snakes. When working in Texas I would go on snake roundups and get them from pits. Here in North Carolina I caught an Eastern Diamond back on my property and showed some of my neighbors who freaked out. I turned it loose in the forest area and told them it was dinner for a King snake or a Black snake. Little did they know that non poisonous snakes eat poisonous snakes.

Remember I am a little wierd. But even back in Nebraska as a child I loved them. I have only KILLED one snake and that was in Colorado when I started a hunting vehicle in the early morning cold. When I came back to get it all was warm and when I started to get in I heard the rattles. Right on the floor where my legs and feet would be. Scared the crap out of me and a twelve gauge with birdshot did him in, plus a hole in the floor. I still regret that act.

I am going to upset some of you but I absolutely love snakes. When working in Texas I would go on snake roundups and get them from pits. Here in North Carolina I caught an Eastern Diamond back on my property and showed some of my neighbors who freaked out. I turned it loose in the forest area and told them it was dinner for a King snake or a Black snake. Little did they know that non poisonous snakes eat poisonous snakes.

Remember I am a little wierd. But even back in Nebraska as a child I loved them. I have only KILLED one snake and that was in Colorado when I started a hunting vehicle in the early morning cold. When I came back to get it all was warm and when I started to get in I heard the rattles. Right on the floor where my legs and feet would be. Scared the crap out of me and a twelve gauge with birdshot did him in, plus a hole in the floor. I still regret that act.

I totally agree with you Mother nature has it all worked out and we seem to screw it all up. My dad freaks out at any snakes and tries to kill it and I have tried to explain that they have a place here to keep things in balance but he is old school and I hope I never get that way.

Grew up on the edge of the woods with a swamp and small creek not so far back in the woods. Saw and was scared by many Copperheads. Killed as many as possible with a hoe or bushax. Never saw a rattler in the wild growing up in north eastern NC. Lots and lots of water mocassins in the creek where I fished. Some hot summer days I would go fishing and there would be dozens of them laying on the bank. Those days I went back home without fishing.

Okay, picked up a Ruger LCP1 .380 at Academy. it comes with a pocket holster, I have not had a chance to do any target practice with it yet the father-inlaw wants us to get out several of our guns and fire them so I also pick up a new gun cleaning kit. been carrying it for a couple days now and I think I will like it.

Since this seems to be the latest gathering of the gun nuts on here, I thought I'd add my two cents worth :2cents: and ask a question or two. On the derringer, is that part of the Judge line? A friend of mine has one of the revolvers and just loves it. She especially likes the variety of "self protection" rounds and has fired both the .410 and 45 cal rounds out of it. In .45 it kicks like a mule but she loves the "nice big holes" it makes. Like me, she spends a good deal of time on the road by herself [her kids are all over the country] and does not like to travel without it.

I had a Walther PK380. Neat gun and one of the easiest autos to use, something I have to watch as my hands don't like the amount of work it takes to operate most slides. We had a house fire about 2 years ago and the Walther got cooked [managed to save my 22 rifle tho!]. I've spent so much time the last two years away from home, I haven't been able to replace it. I've started looking again to see what's out there. Not a lot of places carry my gun so I've been checking to see what else is available. One gun I was offered is the S&W .380 EZ. Anybody have this? Supposedly designed specifically for folks who have hand problems as I do. I will be checking into it. Any other suggestions from the crew? :scratchchin:

Since this seems to be the latest gathering of the gun nuts on here, I thought I'd add my two cents worth :2cents: and ask a question or two. On the derringer, is that part of the Judge line? A friend of mine has one of the revolvers and just loves it. She especially likes the variety of "self protection" rounds and has fired both the .410 and 45 cal rounds out of it. In .45 it kicks like a mule but she loves the "nice big holes" it makes. Like me, she spends a good deal of time on the road by herself [her kids are all over the country] and does not like to travel without it.

I had a Walther PK380. Neat gun and one of the easiest autos to use, something I have to watch as my hands don't like the amount of work it takes to operate most slides. We had a house fire about 2 years ago and the Walther got cooked [managed to save my 22 rifle tho!]. I've spent so much time the last two years away from home, I haven't been able to replace it. I've started looking again to see what's out there. Not a lot of places carry my gun so I've been checking to see what else is available. One gun I was offered is the S&W .380 EZ. Anybody have this? Supposedly designed specifically for folks who have hand problems as I do. I will be checking into it. Any other suggestions from the crew? :scratchchin:

My derringer is made by Bond Arms out of Texas. It is much smaller than a Judge but shoots the same shells/bullets. It is named Snake Slayer IV. I have a ported barrel that reduces recoil by 20+% and is easy to handle. I don't care for the .45 since if I have to use my weapon it is going to be close and the .410 is what will take the fight out of the adversary. Granted there are only two shots so practice is important. I load mine withe 3" 000 buck. That puts five .357 pellets down range.