IGNORED

Oil leak and smoking???

I've had my 2004 venture for right about a month now. I noticed a little oil under the crank case breather tube and discovered it was probably because the oil level was too high. I changed the oil and put a little less in than it had when I got it. Although it was still close to the top of the sight glass when the bike was level. The crankcase tube leak has stopped but now I've noticed twice during the past week or so oil dripping from near the left rear cylinder. Last night I pulled the oil filter and drained a little oil hoping that would solve my problem. I cranked the bike again just a little while ago and now its smoking pretty bad. Any thoughts or ideas on what could be causing the new leak and smoking? Advice on how to remedy this problem would be great as well. BTW this bike has a little over 64,000 miles now and I'm still running Amsoil 20W50 just like the original owner has for the life of the bike.

Thanks

A couple of things.

1. Your oil is still overfilled. It should never be more than half way up the sight glass with the bike level.

2. When I tried Amsoil, My bike leaked everywhere, went back to dino and the leaks stopped, some people have had this experience some do not.

3. I'm not sure on the 2nd gens, but on the first gen if the oil is over filled the engine will send oil into the aircleaner where it can get pulled into the engine this might be your smoke.

The oil level should be between 1/3 & 1/2 in the sight glass with the bike held straight up. After an overfill it will take some time for it to stop dripping. As for the left cylinder leak, can you tell where it's coming from? Top, bottom, front or back of the cylinder. Possible the smoke is from oil on the hot pipes . ?

I've never seen a second gen start leaking because of synthetic oil. I agree that it was probably a bit overfilled still. As for the smoking, how cold is it there? Are you sure it's not just condensation in the exhaust that is heating up and steaming? That is pretty common. Did you let it run a while to see if it would stop?

The smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipes. It was about 45 degrees when I started it earlier. I shut it off and then started it back up a few minutes later and rode about 30 miles with no smoke. It smoked the same way right after I changed the oil a couple weeks ago. Maybe it has something to do with starting the bike without any oil in the oil filter. The oil seems to be coming from the rear outer corner of the head on the rear left cylinder. Looks like where the head meets the block. I saw a few drops of oil on the exhaust header just under this a week or so ago. Also, my oil level is still about 3/4 of the way up the sight glass when the bike is level. I might not be giving that thick 20W50 enough time to drain all the way down. Maybe I need to drain a little more oil. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Agree that the leak is probably coming from the valve cover gasket, you may be able to loosen all the screws maybe a a 1/4 turn and then reseat, also a little bit of Yamaha gasket sealer may help.

Is the smoke blue, black or white?

Blue indicates oil is burning.

Black indicates a rich fuel condition.

White is normally steam and indicates moisture in the pipes or mufflers that is being vaporized as the engine heats up.

If blue and it stops after a while it may just be a valve guide seal leaking while the bike is stopped and setting for a while, letting oil drain into the cylinder.

Just some ideas.

Over full with oil, as this appears to be, will accumulate in the air intakes under the tank. When the bike is on the side stand the oil will drip out on the left rear corner, down the side of the carb, and continue down the side of the engine and exhaust. Need to pull the intake plastic pieces and clean.

Not sure if that is the case here but with oil level that far overfilled it is likely.

The smoke was white with a little bit of a blue hue to it. I dumped the oil filter again but it still seems to be a little over half way up the sight glass. I'll probably dump it one more time and try to get it as close to half way up as I can. I'm going to keep a close eye on it and see how it goes. Hopefully it won't be anything major or serious. Thanks for all the help. This board is great.

The smoke from the exhaust is probably caused by one of two things. First is condensation in the exhaust. Just remember water vapor is a natural by product of good combustion. This smoke,steam should clear when the engine warms up. Second is oil in the air intake (filter) from having the oil overfilled or less likely from some sort of piston ring problem. Returning the oil level to normal will not immediately clear this. It takes time for an oil saturated plenum and air filter to deplete this excess. If you inspect the air filters and find them saturated replace them. Also be sure to check the drain tubes. Make sure they are connected and free of obstruction.

Mike

I boo boo'd early on and filled it to full. I had oil all the way up in the air box under the tank. It takes a long time to clear up. Oil gets in nooks and cranies even if you wipe it all out it can find its way into the intake of carbs. I usually run between lower mark and half way. Use a block of some sort under the kickstand to level it out. Sounds kind of like a couple things going on. Some normal steam etc. Also for winter time 50w is a bit stiff imop. Even here in Fla I run Rotella T6 5w40. Summer I may put one qt of 20w50 and the rest 5w40 rotella.

I have a lot of experience with the 2nd gens (over 100,000 miles on my 05), and I think you are being misled by most of the comments on oil level in the above posts - it is NOT that critical!

First, let me state very clearly that it IS important to not overfill this engine. If you do a lot of oil will get blown out the crankcase vent into the air plenums above the carbs (and start dripping from the vent hoses near the kickstand tip). And once this starts, the dripping will continue for quite some time. Look for older posts by me for details on why this happens.

But I completely disagree with people who keep saying that the oil level must be at half or below in the sight window. Any air bubble at all above the top of the oil level in the window is just absolutely FINE! Yamaha put high and low level marks on the case just to the right side of the window - trust those! The high mark is very close to the top of the window, and this engine does NOT have any problem at all if the oil level is at or below that mark.

But I also want to emphasize that you MUST make sure the bike is LEVEL (meaning it is standing STRAIGHT UP and on level ground) before you look at the sight window. We occasionally hear from someone who mistakenly checked the oil level while the bike was on the side stand, and that will absolutely cause the engine to be way over-full.

So whatever other issues you might have going on with your bike, quit worrying about the oil level - just make sure the top of the oil level is visible anywhere in the sight window, then move on to other things.

Goose

I boo boo'd early on and filled it to full. I had oil all the way up in the air box under the tank. It takes a long time to clear up. Oil gets in nooks and cranies even if you wipe it all out it can find its way into the intake of carbs. I usually run between lower mark and half way. Use a block of some sort under the kickstand to level it out. Sounds kind of like a couple things going on. Some normal steam etc. Also for winter time 50w is a bit stiff imop. Even here in Fla I run Rotella T6 5w40. Summer I may put one qt of 20w50 and the rest 5w40 rotella.

You sure about this info? I thought all the Rotella was 15w40, not 5w.

Goose

I thought 20W50 was a little thick too but the guy I bought the bike from has been running it for the entire 64,000 miles. Despite the minor leak and smoke problems this bike is a beast and runs like a scalded dog. I'm going to stick with that oil for now because I figure why change at this point. Plus I was given 8 quarts of the amsoil 20w50 by the previous owner.

I thought 20W50 was a little thick too but the guy I bought the bike from has been running it for the entire 64,000 miles. Despite the minor leak and smoke problems this bike is a beast and runs like a scalded dog. I'm going to stick with that oil for now because I figure why change at this point. Plus I was given 8 quarts of the amsoil 20w50 by the previous owner.

I've been running 20/50 on my VStar 950T since day 1. When I got the 89 VR, I changed oil to that as well. Here in Arizona we do have heat...so I felt a little extra viscosity insurance wouldn't hurt. I like the way both bikes shift and run. I run dino oil...Yamalube 20w50 in both scoots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know changing the gasket out and checking the valves would be ideal. However, I'm not sure I'm up for a job that in depth, especially the valves. Is there a way to stop the leak without having to pull the gasket? Maybe one of the valve cover bolts is loose??? Also, how bad would it be if I just let it leak for the time being as long as I keep a close eye on the oil level?

I know changing the gasket out and checking the valves would be ideal. However, I'm not sure I'm up for a job that in depth, especially the valves. Is there a way to stop the leak without having to pull the gasket? Maybe one of the valve cover bolts is loose??? Also, how bad would it be if I just let it leak for the time being as long as I keep a close eye on the oil level?

Somethimes you just have to feel things. Which, is something we cannot do through here. Ok, forget about adjusting the valves, just take the chrome covers off and put a wrench on the bolts and you will have your answer as to what step two will be if any. I don't think anybody is gonna tell you to just let it leak. The leak -could- get on the tires and that will be much worse for you much faster than the engine slowly running low on oil.

ValveCovers.jpg