IGNORED

As they say "not if but when"

naturbar

Wife and I were on our way home from dinner this evening, on a country winding road, which I had not ridden in quite some time. Was running probably 45 mph and missed apex of a hard sweeping left turn, did my best to get it slowed down as I was heading off the road..... Got into soggy slippery grass/red N.C. clay..... Front end washed out taking bike down on left side just as the front tire jerked all the way left (a high side event)..... At this point I saw my wife going over my head and I was right behind her. We both took a pretty good tumble and the soggy grass provided some cushion as we landed. We both looked at each other and asked "are you ok?". My wife may have (probably) a broken collarbone, and I'm pretty sore in my back shoulder and sternum. I wanted to take wife to emergency room for xray but she insisted we wait until tomorrow and go to urgent care. I'm guessing the bike is totaled. Have had the bike 6.5 years and put on about 37k miles and enjoyed it immensely but we're going to call it quits while we're ahead (so to speak).

After the crash and while waiting for my two good friends to come with trailer....I walked back to where the skid mark left pavement and walked the tire path back to where we high sided..... We missed a steel posted sign by no more than six inches.....the outcome would have been horrendous if we had hit that sign. This is not the first miracle in my life but it is the only one which quite possibly saved our lives and at very least saved us serious injury. The God which I serve and worship is truly merciful and I just to publicly acknowledge Him. Ya'll be very safe out there and be more cautious on roads less travelled.

OUCH Natty,, so sorry to hear about this but VERY VERY glad that your both ok!!!! Certainly sounds like you folks tested your guardian Angels durability on that one - "high siding" a motorcycle doesnt always come out as well as yours sounds like it did - CONGRATS ON THE MIRACLE BROTHER!!

While I am FAR from being any kind of an EMT or Doctor and normally TOTALLY refrain from giving medical advice,, I do know from experience in racing bikes that many many accident victims refuse immediate medical attention (may or may not have something to do with adrenalin associate with the crash) and that doing so isnt always in the crash victims best interest... IMHO,, if it involves the main body where internal bleeding can be a problem,,, I wouldnt wait... A broken finger, toe, ankle, arm, elbow, wrist,,, heck yea,, wrap em up and finish the race....

No matter what you folks decide on your future of riding you will always be family around this place!!! THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS UP FOR THE TWO OF YOU!!!

Puc

Wow, as you know, as bad as it was, it could have been worse and glad it wasn't.

As I have gotten older and have ridden many miles, I am becoming more and more aware of how quickly things can go bad. Whether it is a second of loss of focus, something I missed in the road, or someone else's or even my own stupidity, I know it can change my life real quick. Being able to enjoy the ride is the balance between being very aware and being paranoid to the point of loosing the enjoyment.

As has already been said, we are glad it was not worse and you and your wife are here to share this with us.

RandyA

Thx. to all for prayers and well wishes. Took wife to doc today and she has a distal clavicle fracture in left shoulder...so we'll be seeing an orthopedic doc and see where that takes us. Wife said she was done riding but enjoyed the miles we shared together over the past 61/2 years. It's tough to throw the rag in on riding but I've got to be realistic..... I'm 67 yrs. old and although my brain says I'm a teenager....my reflexes say otherwise. I very thankful to be given the opportunity to walk away from this accident. Nothing is going to replace the feelings of freedom I experienced while riding....but we do own a 1977 MGB roadster convertible and we log a lot of miles in that, so that will have to suffice. I'm happy to have become a member of THIS family and have nothing but positive feelings towards it.....thanks all my brothers and sister for all the support....God speed to all.

Thx. to all for prayers and well wishes. Took wife to doc today and she has a distal clavicle fracture in left shoulder...so we'll be seeing an orthopedic doc and see where that takes us. Wife said she was done riding but enjoyed the miles we shared together over the past 61/2 years. It's tough to throw the rag in on riding but I've got to be realistic..... I'm 67 yrs. old and although my brain says I'm a teenager....my reflexes say otherwise. I very thankful to be given the opportunity to walk away from this accident. Nothing is going to replace the feelings of freedom I experienced while riding....but we do own a 1977 MGB roadster convertible and we log a lot of miles in that, so that will have to suffice. I'm happy to have become a member of THIS family and have nothing but positive feelings towards it.....thanks all my brothers and sister for all the support....God speed to all.

Cant wrong a brother when he knows its time to change course, THAT IS FOR SURE!!!! Prayers up for both of you as you heal up, please let your wife know our thoughts and prayers are with her as she gets the collar bone taken care of!! Thankfully you folks are in ok shape!!!

Now,, about that 77 MG,,, YEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!! :thumbsup:

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME :photographing:'s!!!!!!

Take care Natty

Sucks to have to hang up the helmet, glad you are able to make that decision while walking away. Hope you guys heal up fast, sure happy it's only as bad as you're describing.

It`s always sad to me to hear of someone hanging up their helmet,I`m sure glad the LORD was with you and your here to do just that,I had to gave up riding my dirt bike(well didn`t have to,chose to) after 2 heart attacks,I really loved that sport,and that was not to hard to accept,I still ride my VR but pay alot more attention to what`s going on around me--Good Luck and God Bless--hope your wife has speedy recovery.

Glad to hear you two are ok, and able to witness the result and tell us of it. My wife has always hinted at getting an MG or that type of vehicle when we is done with a bike,,, but then last year we bought the Spyder. Haven't heard anything about an MG lately.

Got a question for you thought,,,,, when you found that you weren't heading in the desired direction, where were you looking??? around the curve still, or where you thought you were going to end up? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Took wife to Ortho. doc and actually received good news. But before going to Doc this morn. my wife and I discussed what might be the best possible prognosis and decided that no surgery and just healing would be awesome, and that is exactly what doc recommended ! (a continuing miracle) It turns out she has shoulder separation (torn ligaments) and clavicle fracture. That is a two fold blessing as she won't need to recover from surgery and go thru rehab and secondly the expense will not be incurred.(one income family w/me on S.S. limits $$)

Marcarl... "Got a question for you thought,,,,, when you found that you weren't heading in the desired direction, where were you looking??? around the curve still, or where you thought you were going to end up? Inquiring mind wants to know."

To be honest it happened quickly but I believe once I knew I could not negotiate the turn, I looked to where I was headed to determine if i could take further action and a nanosecond later we were tossed. I'm thinking the outcome may have been more favorable if I was solo....when riding two up w/wife I hesitate to lean near as much with her aboard....so I believe that contributed to the outcome. Don't misunderstand this as blame on her but rather an observation. So all in all things are good. The hardest part for me though is the continuing thought of what might have happened to my wife and knowing I was responsible... My wife says for me to quit feeling bad about that, as it's killing her blessing that it turned out as good as it did.....some great wife I have, I am blessed.

Edited by naturbar
Correct spelling

Naturbar,

I'm very glad to hear that you both were able to walked away from your accident. (can't imagine watching my passenger fly over my shoulders though:)) It is very good news that she does not have to have surgery to heal that shoulder too. Reflecting is always an interesting thing. Where you were looking etc. I catch myself thinking about this sometimes in corners myself, like where I'm looking. And especially after a corner that I went into a little hot.

It's nice that you have that sports car to play with. That should be fun itself.

After reading that you are giving up riding it got me thinking. I'm a little older than you and when the time comes for me to give up the bikes, I'm going fishing.

My friends give me a hard time now as to why I don't use my boat. There is only so much time, and a guy has to choose which toy he plays with. Well, when I stop riding, I'll play with my boat.

the best to you both,

Cant wrong a brother when he knows its time to change course, THAT IS FOR SURE!!!! Prayers up for both of you as you heal up, please let your wife know our thoughts and prayers are with her as she gets the collar bone taken care of!! Thankfully you folks are in ok shape!!!

Now,, about that 77 MG,,, YEEEEEHAWWWWWWW!! :thumbsup:

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME :photographing:'s!!!!!!

Take care Natty

Pucster I'll get a few pics posted soon..... I think :-)