IGNORED

Best switch for the HID light

What would be the best type of switch to wire in to manually shut off the HID light prior to start up? Id like to find something decorative to maybe mount on the inner fairing. What amps/volts/etc would I need? Dont get too technical here. Just plain ol truckdrivers english please. :smile5:

Mine is ON in the crank mode unless I shut it off with a switch

I also like being able to turn it off while playing around with

different projects while working on the bike and needing the key

on as well.

Ruffy: I mounted mine on each side of the 12 volt acc plug.

not sure now what amp rating maybe 30? and made sure the

switch handle was kind of long so I could feel it when reaching

down into that area.

Ruffy,

Just need a simple illuminated switch. You want the illumination to know if it is on or not. This switch will wire to a relay that will carry the electrical load.

The switch I use is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.martinfabrication.com/Martin_Fabrication/Motorcycle_Driving_LIghts.html#10

It is about $12 if I recall correctly. Attached it with double sided tape to the inner fairing.

RR

Ruffy I've made a few of these mounts for the trike gas tank conversions I build. And used a rubber covered rocker switch along with a LED light to indicate when the fuel pump was on.

I also have one made with just a hole for a mini toggle switch I'm not using I'll give to you if you want it. Made of stainless steel and sandwiched by the handlebar switch box

Larry

Last week or so when I was asking about it there was a couple of ideas floating around. One was way beyond me understanding and the other Cougar I think had the idea of connecting it thru the oil press switch. I like that idea, but I ended up putting just a plain ole toggle switch (no light as I was using existing parts) to break the ground of the relay that came with the HID kit.

Ruffy,

Just need a simple illuminated switch. You want the illumination to know if it is on or not. This switch will wire to a relay that will carry the electrical load.

The switch I use is at the bottom of this page:

http://www.martinfabrication.com/Martin_Fabrication/Motorcycle_Driving_LIghts.html#10

It is about $12 if I recall correctly. Attached it with double sided tape to the inner fairing.

RR

When I inquired about that switch, he wouldn't sell me just the switch. Said it only came with the whole kit. Maybe that's changed. :confused24:

When I inquired about that switch, he wouldn't sell me just the switch. Said it only came with the whole kit. Maybe that's changed. :confused24:

I purchased the switch separately. However, I have also purchased a set of his lights in the past.

RR

I used a mini toggle from Radio Shack. No lights as I dont think I want a light blaring back at me at night when its on and I havent figured out how to have say a red light on when its off. I made a small little bracket out of alum channel about 3/8 wide. The bracket is attached to the handlebar under the fairing. Found this switch @ RS and it has a small red light so might not bother at night. Dimensions look pretty small. not much more than an inch by 1.5. http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-4724927w345.jpg

Ruffy I've made a few of these mounts for the trike gas tank conversions I build. And used a rubber covered rocker switch along with a LED light to indicate when the fuel pump was on.

I also have one made with just a hole for a mini toggle switch I'm not using I'll give to you if you want it. Made of stainless steel and sandwiched by the handlebar switch box

Larry

Larry, that mount about the same size as the one pictured? That looks like a great location for a switch. Ill take it from ya. Just let me know the shipping cost.

Thanks, Jeff

Ill PM you my addy

Yup saw those too. I like you have a smal led to indicate on instead of a big ole switch glowing at me at night. I have enough problems with glare on the backside of the windshield.

You did just add ina small LED light off the switch right? How noticeable is it at night? I hate most hi beam indicators as they blare right back at ya and its dark as heck anyways and now this is in your eyes. I think if the whole switch lit up it might be the same thing. Small lite not as bad. Aslo if you dont mind, what kind of stock did you use for bracket?

Edited by djh3

Ruffy I'm sending it out after the post office opens this morning. And am tossing in a mini toggle switch I have here on hand as well.

djh3 the stainless stock I use is .004 thick. The size of the bracket is 1" wide and 3" long with a bend at 3/4" from the square end.

The one I'm using with the rocker and LED light is slightly longer. The LED is from RadioShack part # 276 - 0085. This paticular LED light matches the bikes green lights well, is bright enough to be seen in daylight yet not so bright its blinding at night. It's actually less bright than the cruise control light, netural, or turn signal lights.

My set up with this switch and indicator light uses the switch as a relay ground when turned on. So the (-) negative end of the led attaches to the relay side of the switch and the (+) positive side I ran a line to the fairing connecting to a key on power source.

Hope this helps, Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

I do have mine set up with the flashing red LED from Radio Shack P/N 276-312.

It is setup so that the LED is only on when the headlight is off. It is bright enough to be noticeable in daylight.

You just need to use a SPDT switch (3 terminal).

Fused power goes to the center terminal, The LED goes to one of the outside terminals and the HID goes to the other outside terminal. Very simple and I don't have the extra light to look at at night.

Thats what I'm talkin about.:cool10::cool10: Simple stuff. I would much rather have a red light telling me its not on.

OK so I am using the brother to this switch, only 2 connections. But I can use this switch right? Power to center and then warning lite to one side and a power off the relay (power to relay or to ballest) to the other side? Currently I installed the switch on the ground side of the relay. No way I can keep it using the switch to break the ground I guess huh? So to make the light come on the switch has to be all the way over to the other side right? If I remember right this switch would be on/off/on.

Yep, My main light and light bar lights blink RED (very bright)as well if there

turned off [ATTACH]66759[/ATTACH] my green led light is for when

my aux tank is running. very dim.

The other two switches are the garage door opener

and the LED lights under the tank to make shinny

chrome at night :happy65:

FLYIN: may seem like silly question but how do you wire up the LED ends? Is it like a normal bulb? One to hot and one to a ground? So one end would go to the end of the switch and the other end of it to where? Power on all the time to center of switch and then I guess the other side of the switch to the relay somehow. I guess I'll have to cut up my nice harness that came with the HID to make this work. DANG and it waz so purdy.

Unlike regular lights LEDs have a polarity, fortunately if you hook them up backwards, nothing bad happens, they just don't light up (the flashing LED is an exception to this, hooking it up backwards will let out the magic blue smoke). Also most LEDs do not run on 12V so you ned to add a dropping resistor in series with the LED. The value of the dropping resistor will depend on the LED being used, they are not all the same voltage. For the flashing red LED from Radio Shack I used a 330 ohm 1/4W resistor.

As far as the wiring of the switch

I tapped into the headlight wire just before the dimmer switch.

This way I am not switching the headlight power and I'm using the relays that are already built into the HID. With the HID the headlight power is no longer running thru the bikes electrical system, it has its own fused power lead right to the battery.

You could do the exact same thing by cutting the power wire for the HID but then you should also add a relay to handle the high power.

So to add the switch and LED it would be;

Cut wire that supplies power to dimmer switch.

Connect the positive side of the LED/resistor to one of the outside terminals of the switch.

Other end of LED/resistor to ground.

Other outside terminal of switch to wire from dimmer switch.

Center terminal of switch to other end of headlight wire that you just cut.