IGNORED

I'm not sure if she is a good dog or a bad dog

Flyinfool

I got a call at work from my GF that she needs help with the dog.

The dog wen thru the front window and got cut up and is bleeding all over the place.

So I leave work and beat feet home, made the 45 minute drive in 30.

The dog has several lacerations to her front leg and there is a hole in the front window.

It turns out that some strange guy was trying to break in the front door and the dog was going ballistic trying to get him to stop. She was in full blown protect mode of the GF and house. The guy beat feet as soon as the front window broke and the dogs head came out, about 3 feet from the door.

Fortunately the dogs injuries are not bad. Once I got all of the hair trimmed away from the cuts I decided that there was no serious internal damage and it was just some shallow cuts in the skin so there was no vet bill to deal with. I'll check it again when I get back home from work to be sure but am not expecting any issues.

So is she a good dog for chasing away the bad guy and protecting the GF, or a bad dog for going thru the window and bleeding all over the living room carpet????

On the bright side, I am a design engineer for a place that makes commercial carpet cleaning equipment, so I have access to the latest and greatest technology in carpet cleaning, blood is not an issue to get out of off white carpet (don't ask how I know this:whistling:).

AAAArrrrrggggg........

I really had plans other than cleaning the carpet tonight.

She is not a good dog...she is a GREAT dog. I think you owe her a great big ole T-Bone steak WITH BONE intact.

Seriously, glad everything turned out OK. So did you file a police report to try and catch the guy?

Good Doggie!!!

Sounds like a good owner too.

How much would she sell the dog for? I have a few neighbors that REALLY need to see an angry dog come through a window. :big-grin-emoticon:

To me the dog sounds like a keeper. Maybe some training classed for control would be the answer. The way things are in the world today.......you don't want the legal issues biting you in the butt.

Glad the dog is ok for sure. Time for a nice treat. Like a nice New York strip and some gravy.

(For the DOG!)

Give the GF a hug to. Probably scared the daylights out of her.

I have a friend with a Red Doby. That dog has had training as a guard dog and it cracks me up. It will let ANYONE into the house. It will just sit and watch you the whole time. But when it comes time to try to leave, the owner better be there to give the dog the signal that it's ok. You ain't leaving without permission.....or a Doby attached to your tail end.

Mike

+1 for the great dog T-bone steak!

Clean wounds initially with hydrogen peroxide then neosporin afterwards...

Remember hydrogen peroxide "nukes" everything including live cells so don't use after initial cleaning..

Have your GF take an officer taught small weapon class...

and obtain a permit to carry.

These punks are getting bolder and bolder.

My wife perfers a Smith and Wesson .38 Special Airweight... with hollo-points:whistling:

A KEEPER DOG.

Now for some VET advise. Keep putting Hydrogen Peroxide (Brown Bottle w/ White Top) on the wounds 3 to 5 times a day. Also keep sniffing the wounds and if at anytime it starts to "stink" then get to a Vet for antibiotic shot and follow up antibiotic pills. Dogs like people can get an infection that can get into bloodstream and cause long delayed painful death.

Good Luck :sick:

I feel she is a good un, but I train my dogs to come get me so I can arm myself with overwhelming fire power. But they do give out a lot of noise before. My three legged Chow mix will go through the door if he feels the need.

Give that dog a bone for me! And a job well done. :clap2:

:farmer:

Remember hydrogen peroxide "nukes" everything including live cells so don't use after initial cleaning.. :whistling:

Joe,

Just finished using 32 oz of Hydrogen Peroxide on my German Short Hair after my other LAB opened her like a can opener. We were shooting HP with a water gun into wounds that were 3 to 4 inches deep. Taken nearly 6 week to close the wounds due to NO STICHES due to infection that was the stinky part.

Neosporin is good too for shallow stuff.

Looks like composed reply nearly same time. LOL

:sick:

How much would she sell the dog for? I have a few neighbors that REALLY need to see an angry dog come through a window. :big-grin-emoticon:

To me the dog sounds like a keeper. Maybe some training classed for control would be the answer. The way things are in the world today.......you don't want the legal issues biting you in the butt.

Glad the dog is ok for sure. Time for a nice treat. Like a nice New York strip and some gravy.

(For the DOG!)

Give the GF a hug to. Probably scared the daylights out of her.

I have a friend with a Red Doby. That dog has had training as a guard dog and it cracks me up. It will let ANYONE into the house. It will just sit and watch you the whole time. But when it comes time to try to leave, the owner better be there to give the dog the signal that it's ok. You ain't leaving without permission.....or a Doby attached to your tail end.

Mike

Well she is not for sale. At least the/MY dog ain't. :whistling:

Would you believe me if I said that the dog does not like steak or bones............

I didn't think so......:rotf:

I have thought about some classes, mostly for the GF as she has almost zero control over the dog, and the problem is not the dog needing the training.

Dang, windows are expensive these days.

It was so close, There was a big piece of broken glass right above the hole, basically the top half of a 4 foot square pane, that fell like a guillotine as soon as I touched it to clean up the mess.

She will get one of her favorite treats, a big bowl of ice cream. Yes she could be a Venture Rider. :stirthepot:

CaptainJoe

Wisconsin is one of the 2 states that does not allow CC, so that is not an option, YET.

You need to ask, good or bad? That is a great dog! That's how we all hope our canine friends would act under those circumstances. Now my dog couldn't jump high enough to reach the window. He wouldn't bite ya on the way in, but, on the way out...LOOK OUT.... he'll rip the back of your ankles off! :yikes::rotf:

"Just finished using 32 oz of Hydrogen Peroxide on my German Short Hair after my other LAB opened her like a can opener. We were shooting HP with a water gun into wounds that were 3 to 4 inches deep. Taken nearly 6 week to close the wounds due to NO STICHES due to infection that was the stinky part.

Looks like composed reply nearly same time. LOL"

Frogmaster... guess dogs are a little different than humans... LOL

I'll definately defer to you as your a vet.

Couple years back the dr. gave me heck for putting HP on a pretty good gash on my arm and advised me I was killing the good cells by doing so. told me to use the neosporin only, and cover it up with gause bandage so it could stay clean and breathe. It started healing rapidly after that.

Guess dogs are different as they are constantly licking things and such...LOL

"Just finished using 32 oz of Hydrogen Peroxide on my German Short Hair after my other LAB opened her like a can opener. We were shooting HP with a water gun into wounds that were 3 to 4 inches deep. Taken nearly 6 week to close the wounds due to NO STICHES due to infection that was the stinky part.

Looks like composed reply nearly same time. LOL"

Frogmaster... guess dogs are a little different than humans... LOL

I'll definately defer to you as your a vet.

Couple years back the dr. gave me heck for putting HP on a pretty good gash on my arm and advised me I was killing the good cells by doing so. told me to use the neosporin only, and cover it up with gause bandage so it could stay clean and breathe. It started healing rapidly after that.

Guess dogs are different as they are constantly licking things and such...LOL

Joe,

I'm no Vet, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...LOL. :rotf: My Country Vet had me live the dream for 6 weeks of the Hydrogen Peroxide and Water Gun into deep flesh wounds (That part is true). :)

"CaptainJoe

Wisconsin is one of the 2 states that does not allow CC, so that is not an option, YET."

Flyinfool, Your are still allowed to defend yourself. She may not be allowed to carry it concealed, but if she knows how to use, and more importantly, when to use it "hence the training by a law enforcement officer" she could have it at home for protection.

The six most important words to remember are, " I was in fear for my life", and they better be the ones you use if you have to shoot someone.

Hey, you'd have to decide wether or not that was in her best interests as everyone is different.

My wife Penny was the first woman to graduate from the Armys 101st Airborne.

Let's just say, she doesn't have a passive bone in her body, and, "Pity the fool that tries to kick in our front door ". To borrow a term from BA baracus...LOL :whistling:

Edited by CaptainJoe

She is not a good dog...she is a GREAT dog. I think you owe her a great big ole T-Bone steak WITH BONE intact.

Seriously, glad everything turned out OK. So did you file a police report to try and catch the guy?

Good Doggie!!!

Sounds like a good owner too.

ya that :bobby:

You need to ask, good or bad? That is a great dog! That's how we all hope our canine friends would act under those circumstances. Now my dog couldn't jump high enough to reach the window. He wouldn't bite ya on the way in, but, on the way out...LOOK OUT.... he'll rip the back of your ankles off! :yikes::rotf:

Those darn little 12" tall dogs are something else. Many many years ago I read water meters for the city, the old ones where you had to go into the basement to read the meter. Never had a problem when the homeowner let you in but by golly when you went to leave those tiny dogs would go right for the back of your ankle. :no-no-no:

That's an absolutely fabulous dog. My roomie's lab mix is the sweetest dog but has severe anxiety with other dogs around. On good weather days I walk the Dante boy around the neighborhood. Well....one day in November right after roomie's wife passed away and he was out of state burying her I was out walking Dante. I was still in the neighborhood a few streets behind the house when a guy was in his front yard playing with his boxers. The boxer pair saw us before the guy did and proceed to run at us at full speed ready to attack, Dante being the great dog he is put himself between me and the dogs. Thankfully I was able to get the boxers to heel and stay before injuries happened but what has in timidness makes up in heart. He was willing to put himself in harm's way for his walker, and in my book is deserving of any reward he wants I can give.

Now , how big a dog do you have? You never said. It is definitely a keeper. Give that dog a treat.:thumbsup2::D

I have a monster Springer, She is 80lbs of muscle wound up in a hunting machine, and stands 25 inches at the shoulder.

Breed standard for a female Springer is 45 lbs and 16 inches at the shoulder.

I weigh 260 and when I am laying down in the back yard she can drag me around.

She really enjoyed her ice cream tonight, garnished with some dead deer summer sausage.

I changed the bandages and everything looks good.:thumbsup: