IGNORED

Got hit by a car

Mariner Fan

Lucky for me, it was the first time I drove my truck to work in over a month.

I got rear-ended by a young girl in a car. All it did was knock the paint off of my trailer hitch. Her car sustained some pretty good damage in the front.

All I could think of was how lucky I was to not be on the bike today.

Be careful out there.

Guest Popeye

That's one reason I avoid cities so much...and live in my mirrors...ready to bolt.

I hope she swallowed her cell phone :hihi:

That's one reason I avoid cities so much...and live in my mirrors...ready to bolt.

I hope she swallowed her cell phone :hihi:

You get the picture Popeye.

She said that she just got her car back from the last time she rear-ended a car. Said she hit that one so hard that the airbags deployed!

That reminds me of the back bumper my dad had someone build for the back of his '64 Chevy 1/2 ton pick-up. It was made from 1/2" steel plate. One flat piece across the top that was about 6" front to back, same dimensions on the piece going straight down from the back with a triangular shaped piece welded on at each end to brace it. A girl rear ended him at a stop sign. Didn't even scratch the bumper, totaled her car though.

Yea, it's scary. She said that she doesn't have the money to pay the deductible for her insurance. All she could talk about was how her husband was going to kill her.

I always look in my mirrors when I stop at an intersection when on the bike. I didn't do that in the truck and she thumped me pretty good. My biggest fear has always been getting rear ended on the bike. That's why I added lights on the back and keep a look out for people like that.

That reminds me of the back bumper my dad had someone build for the back of his '64 Chevy 1/2 ton pick-up. It was made from 1/2" steel plate. One flat piece across the top that was about 6" front to back, same dimensions on the piece going straight down from the back with a triangular shaped piece welded on at each end to brace it. A girl rear ended him at a stop sign. Didn't even scratch the bumper, totaled her car though.

I had a similar setup I made on an '86 1 ton Dodge P/U I had, had a guy hit me with a beemer and it totalled the front of his car out.....duh

I always look in my mirrors when I stop at an intersection when on the bike. I didn't do that in the truck and she thumped me pretty good. My biggest fear has always been getting rear ended on the bike. That's why I added lights on the back and keep a look out for people like that.

I also do the same thing on the bike coming to a sign or light, I'm always looking in my mirrors and the bike is always in gear ready to go if I need to. Funny the things we learn from many years of riding, and how many others do the same thing.

I used to have that bumper on my old 72 chev. Yea, I got rear ended in that truck too and all I ended up with is his paint on my bumper. His car was toast!

Lucky for me, her car was low enough that she hit the trailer hitch and not the bumper. That hitch is pretty robust. :D

All my vehicles have a frame hitch, and I leave in the tongue and ball. Left a nice ball and imprint on one young gentlemans front plastic bumper one day!!! Matter of fact, and this is nothing against LEO's, I was coming back from Dallas one time in the 90's, the back way up through Muscogie(?), LEO's all around this town and one pulled me over. After the usual questions (whadya doin', been drinkin'(25mph crosswind-van with a box trailer, you get the idea)), he walks around back of the van to look in the back, and BLAM, there goes his knee into the hitch!! Had to laugh, so did he, told me to go on, he was goin home to soak his bruised knee!!

I also watch behind me at lights, ready to go anytime.

Dan

When I saw the title of the thread I thought oh no, not again. Glad to hear you werent on the bike, and you didnt get hurt:banana: 2 rear end collisions in a row, yeah they ought to yank her license for at least a year! Craig

Glad you're ok. I got rear-ended (well, bumped really) on the bike by an old man in Cleve last year. Just made me roll forward a little. When he didn't pull over I followed him and told him he hit me and just left the scene. He thought it was ok because he was on his way to do volunteer work! I scratched my head, checked the bike for damage (no damage), and rode away as I knew that conversation wasn't going anywhere.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I was surrounded by 5000 lbs of American steel! Her little car wasn't going to hurt me.

I was just thinking again about how easy it would be for one of us to get rear ended by some cell phone talking person who isn't paying attention. You feel pretty vulnerable on a scoot.

Keep your eyes open folks!

I got rear ended earlier this year on my honda at a light by a little old lady messing with her dog, she had already stopped so I wasnt watching behind me and her foot slipped off and bumped me. I do believe it scared her more than me but no damage.

I have frame hitches on both my vehicles and the tongue and ball stay there all the time, even though I dont own a trailer, makes for a good bump stop for those idiots who want to park to close behind you and follow to close on the highways, been tagged a couple of times and they always suffer the damage, all I have to show for it is a scratch on the ball or some leftover paint..............:rotfl::rotfl:Of course it did put a hole in the front of my wife's suv bumper when her foot slipped of the clutch and it rolled into the back of my van.........oops..........I was in the van and couldnt believe someone had hit me in my own driveway, let alone be my wife..............:duck:

I always try to pull to, or point in the direction of, the left side of any vehicle that is in front of me at a stop sign / red light, in the case I have to dart out of the way..

I surely do not want to be pinched between two vehicles on a bike..

I also do the same thing on the bike coming to a sign or light, I'm always looking in my mirrors and the bike is always in gear ready to go if I need to. Funny the things we learn from many years of riding, and how many others do the same thing.

That's a pretty brave move on your part Squidley. You wouldn't catch me running a red light into a cross-flow of traffic just to avoid a smack in the rear end! Too much of a chance of getting T-boned! :rotfl: