IGNORED

Deer's dead...but we're ok

Iowawegian

Rode with a few other couples Sat to J & P Cycle's open house in Anamosa. About 50 miles into the ride we were going around a bend in the road and all we both saw was brown hair and then bang, bang, bang....The deer had to have made one leap from the other side of the ditch right into the left side of our fairing. All I can say is my husband is one heck of a good driver. We skidded into the other lane, onto the gravel shoulder the whole bike is swerving and he held onto it. I can't believe we didn't hit the ditch or lay the bike down. Cut in the front tire from the fender bending down, headlights sitting crooked and a few more dings. We're hoping the forks are ok.I don't think he was going over 45 mph when it happened. I can't belive how lucky we were. Kept on going down to the open house, but between the crowd down there, high winds and rain the whole way home...It was one of those days when we should have just hung it up for the day. No one hurt except his ankle which he drug on the road.

A few Harley Riders from our hometown heard about it and everyone of them told Gary."It's lucky you had the Venture...cuz if it would have been an HD it would have never held up to that kind of force hitting it" Hope that's the first and last time we ever hit a deer!

WOW! Glad you guys are okay! Too bad about the bike, but the comprehensive part of your insurance should cover the damages, (at least that’s the way it works with Farm Bureau Insurance in WY).

I truly enjoy the outdoors and wildlife, but I believe we’ve got way too many deer in most places. I think the Game & Fish departments in many states should open up the hunting quotas to reduce deer numbers in many areas.

My bike came with 2 of the "Deer Whistles" mounted on the fairing right above the lowers air intake. Live in deer country--Central Indiana-- haven't hit one, haven't seen one jump out in front of me. Noticed 'em on Lowells (WIld Hair) bike also, up at Dons, said he's never had one come out on him, either. I know theres a lot of --"Don't work, can't work", etc. about these things, but........... whos to argue with Lowell?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!

Dan

glad you guys made it through that scare ok. Millions of deer here too....stupid things

hey, they are not stupid.. I love deer expecially with mash potatoes and gravy..glad to hear the both of you are all right..thats whats important..

Good job by Hubby to keep it up, times like that you have only instinct to react with as it's a split second....I know too well. I have always said to ride out the accident, 'specially with an animal. Good to see you writing it to us, hope the insurance is much less painful

:happy34:

Glad you folks are OK!! Did you take the deer home and dress it!? :cool10:

Thanks a lot, do you know how it feel to spew beer out your nose from an instant snork?

When I read that I immediately got a picture in my head of a big burly guy trying to wrestle a live deer into a pink tutu or a nice woman's dress on a dining room table. Don't ask . . .

Glad to hear that both of you are okay. Don't forget a little something extra in the collection plate this week.

On the bike, I came within 6 inch's one time of hitting a deer, but was out on a run from Eureka to Petaluma driving a 10 yard dump truck for PG&E, was coming around a corner and saw two deer standing on the shoulder, and I wish they would have just jumped back into the trees. But they both darted out onto the freeway right in front of me, I swerve left into the middle lane, and the size of the truck scared the one closest to me into stopping so fast, it's feet fell out from under it, and then it jumped back towards the side where my chase car missed it by inch's. Needless to say, our hearts were pumping after that. As big as I was though, I don't thing I would have felt anything. :whistling:

Man, that's scarey stuff! And from what I see on the TV and in the movies, some of those deer ain't all that petite. On our recent 11,000kms trip through the Aussie outback (tin top) we had 2 wild brumbies dart across the highway in front of us about 20 metres away, and some days later a couple of pademelon (like a kangaroo) jumped onto the road and back into the scrub again. My speed at both times was 120km/hr - but - driving a Subaru made all the difference. With the brumbies, heavy but controlled braking and with the pademelon - tactical swerve around them both. Fortunately I was the only vehicle within 50kms so no worries with taking out another motorist. (Gets like that in the Aussie outback!) The only real danger on the roads with animal strikes is the wedge-tailed eagles that sit in the middle of the road eating roadkill - usually kangaroos. They're massive birds - wing spans up to 2 metres - and they are slow to lift off when you approach. And when they do lift off it's not usually AWAY from the roadway, but OVER the roadway, so they also become roadkill if the motorists aren't au-fait with their habits. Closest I got was the wing tips of one clipping the side mirror. Actually got that on video.

So - to sum up. GLAD YOU'RE BOTH OKAY AND THE BIKE IS STILL RIDEABLE!