IGNORED

Slingshot riders need helmets?

frankd

I was driving my mini-van in downtown Nashville morning rush hour traffic and next to me was a Slingshot with a 2 passengers in it. They were NOT wearing helmets and Tennessee is a helmet state. I thought they were classified as motorcycles and that should make helmets necessary. However, it looks like I'm wrong. Do passengers in these type of trikes need helmets?

I rented a slingshot in Sedona last year and they offered me a helmet but I didn't wear it. I believe Arizona is a helmet optional state. Here in BC, and I believe, the rest of Canada, they are classed as motorcycles so helmets are necessary.

I would not wear a helmet while DRIVING one. I understand they are "classified" as a motorcycle, but....you sit in it not on it, you drive it not ride it, it has car tires not motorcycle tires, steering wheel not handle bars, floor shifter........like a car! I concider them an automobile, thus no helmet. But depending on what state you are in at the time.....you will be required.

Long ago in England not many people could afford a car so motorcycles were popular. A motorcycle with a sidecar was still a motorcycle and taxed as such. In a museum there I saw a motorcycle and sidecar where the operator sat in the sidecar and and operated the controls in there while the passenger rode on the bike. They began building three wheel cars as a way to avoid the high tax on automobiles. Cars=4 wheels, motorcycle=2 or 3.

Considering you sit in it, wear a seat belt, it has a roll cage and you drive in it rather than ride it, I guess I would have to wonder what is the difference between it and a small convertible sports car. Many of which have full open cockpits with no roll bar at all.

While Tip, Tweeks and I were CTFW in California one time, we got in Helmet Law trouble cause Tip's helmet was White in color and looked like a police officers helmet (cost us 500 bucks for that one). Personally I would advise following State Law to the letter the law and er to the more conservative side of it, especially when CTFW in States where you are unsure of whats legal. Therefore, I would default to the old "When In Rome" rule and if it were us riding/driving or being towed in a Slinger in a State that required helmets when riding a scoot you can bet your lop eared varmint last dollar we would be helmeted up,,, and probably not in white helmets either :missingtooth:

For the Slingshot, it depends upon the state as to whether it is classified as a motorcycle or a car. When they first came out this was a long drawn out process and until each state decided, the Slingshot could not be sold in that state. It may depend on what state the vehicle is registered in...

For the Slingshot, it depends upon the state as to whether it is classified as a motorcycle or a car. When they first came out this was a long drawn out process and until each state decided, the Slingshot could not be sold in that state. It may depend on what state the vehicle is registered in...

:think:,, so you reckon it would be possible for 2 different drivers of Slingshots to be able to chose whether or not to wear a helmet if riding in a State that has a Helmet Law due if they are from different out of States State:doh:

Kind of confusing,,,,,,,, so in the end,, one person may be required to wear a helmet if he is from one State and the other person would not be required to if he is from a different out of State location :hihi:

Mornin Bongo :bighug:

In Minnesota a three wheeled vehicle is designated a motorcycle.

Minnesota is not a required helmet law state.

Pick your poison boys.

Know where you are and what the vehicle is designated as is the best advice.

... cause Tip's helmet was White in color and looked like a police officers helmet (cost us 500 bucks for that one).

:scared:

... u can bet your lop eared varmint last dollar we would be helmeted up,,, and probably not in white helmets either :missingtooth:

But, I really like white...

WhiteShortyHelmet.jpg

Guess I ain't going to California anytime soon.

And..back on topic... yes, when in Rome. I also believe in a Helmet State the Slingshots have to wear helmets. There was even a long drawn out battle here in Texas before they could sell the things trying to figure out what to classify them as. I bet Polaris does not want to face a back step on them being a "motorcycle" because of a helmet issue and that Polaris would say wear a helmet in the helmet states.

I was driving my mini-van in downtown Nashville morning rush hour traffic and next to me was a Slingshot with a 2 passengers in it. They were NOT wearing helmets and Tennessee is a helmet state. I thought they were classified as motorcycles and that should make helmets necessary. However, it looks like I'm wrong. Do passengers in these type of trikes need helmets?

In Nebraska you need a helmet, and my folks always had to wear their's in the slingshot. Maybe they just didn't give a rats behind lol

I rented a slingshot in Sedona last year and they offered me a helmet but I didn't wear it. I believe Arizona is a helmet optional state. Here in BC, and I believe, the rest of Canada, they are classed as motorcycles so helmets are necessary.

Erm! No.... seems ICBC tend to flip flop, (doesn't surprise me!) below is a link to a Slingshot forum discussing exactly that topic. Seems some have them insured & registered as cars some as motorcycles. I have most definitely seen them being driven here in the Lower Mainland by people NOT wearing helmets.

https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/registering-a-slingshot-in-british-columbia.2010/

Here's something else I came across:

In Canada, Polaris’s product manager, Garrett Moore, says the Slingshot is legal to purchase in every province except Nova Scotia. Again, each province determines its own legislation: they all require only a car licence, except for Alberta which wants a motorcycle licence, and they all require a helmet, except for British Columbia which is happy with the seat belts and roll bars.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://canadamotoguide.com/2018/12/05/opinion-breaking-the-rules/

Edited by Kretz

Just an aside.... ICBC & their agents here in BC seem to make the "rules" up as the go along. Like the time I claimed my senior discount on my bike insurance (wife & I are BOTH on title as registered owners) with ME as main driver. (Wife doesn't drive it at all).

Our ICBC agent was adamant that in order to claim the senior discount we BOTH had to be over 65 (my wife wasn't at that time) The agent even went as far as completing a "change of ownership form" to transfer the bike into my title only.

I decided to check directly with ICBC.

She was wrong! I as the named main driver was entitled to claim the senior discount. My wife being on title had nothing to do with it. So it all depends on whom you speak to. I still have ICBC's response e-mail... just in case!

Reading this brings back what Hannigan went through with the GW reverse trike. Some wanted the both the reverse trike and the conventional trike making it a 4 wheeler, or in other words a car. His argument was the bolt on trike kits also had 4 wheels on the ground. I don't know what happened with that.

I know that in England Morgans ( 3 wheelers ) are classed as motorcycles but you don't need helmets but motorcycles with sidecars do need helmets.

B.C. is totally confusing and I agree that they make up the rules as they go and you get totally different answers depending on who you talk to. I know Polaris 3 wheelers are classed as motorcycles so you need a helmet but perhaps slingshots are classed as cars so you don't need a helmet. I wish I could afford a slingshot. I had an Austin Healy

and the top was vandalized. ICBC refused my claim as they said it was over 50 percent of the car (?). I went to a different agency and ICBC accepted the claim. My wife was parked when a car backed into her. She made a claim and they told her it was 50% her fault so she had to pay for her own damage WTF. ICBC refused to insure my motorcycle (yamaha) as it was within 50 miles of an established Hells Angles headquarters. I had to get the basics as required by law but for anything more, such as collision, I had to go private

Maybe the difference is whether you sit IN or ON the vehicle. ie in a 3 wheeler such as the slingshot you sit IN like a car, whereas with a can-am or similar you sit ON (astride) it. But you are totally correct ICBC are a complete waste of space (& our money). I have never come across such an incompetent insurance organisation!

BTW here we are encouraged to wear Hi-Viz Jackets & White helmets (both like Motormen LEO's wear) as they are more visible.

Go figure California huh? Weird State! (& everything there is liable to cause cancer!)