IGNORED

New Travel Trailer

Freebird

As I posted in another thread, we bought a new truck with the intention of probably buying a travel trailer in the spring. We started doing our research which was a mistake becuase it led exactly to what I figured would happen, buy now and take advantage of winter pricing. So, Eileen found several but she had a hard time with the concept of "IT'S TOO BIG". She finally found the one that she really liked. I did a lot of research and found that the reviews were about as good as most of the others in this class/price range. There were many positive reviews and the usual horror stories so you just take your chance I suppose.

I had planned on buying used but once she found what she wanted, I started shopping in earnest and found a new 2018 model that was drastically reduced in price. The dealer is already receiving his 2019 models and with winter here, had really cut the price on the 2018. I found a few used ones of the same model and some were asking even more than I paid for this one. The nicest one that I found was 3 years old and he wanted $1500.00 more for it than I bought the new 2018 for.

A couple of pretty big negatives. I ended up pushing the envelope on what I wanted to keep the weight and etc. down to behind the 1/2 ton truck. The truck is rated to pull 8800 lbs. and this trailer comes in at 6500. I know that I needed to stay down around 5500 but it is what it is. It is also closer to the GCVR than I had targeted but still under by about a thousand pounds after adding about a thousand for gear and etc. More that I had wanted but hopefully it will be ok.

The second negative is that it is a 4 1/2 hour drive to go get it. I tried to get a local dealer to match the price but the closest anybody came was close to $3,000.00 higher. So, this afternoon we will head to Grand Rapids, MI to pick it up. Got a hotel for tonight and will get to the dealer at 8:30 tomorrow morning, get things situtated and then head home. By the time I drive 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours home, I will have a good idea of how bad I screwed up on the larger size.

Anyway, it is a Keystone Hideout 27DBS. My wife chose it because she loved the floorplan and decor. It is pretty loaded with 32" TV, Stereo, Central Vac, additional outside kitchen, etc. Another feature that we liked is that the TV rotates to face either the living area or the bedroom area. Hopefully it will all go well.

27dbs.jpg 231-2 - Copy.jpg 231-2-2 - Copy.jpg 231-2-9.jpg 231-2-12.jpg 231-2-13.jpg 231-2-18.jpg 231-2-19.jpg 231-2-21.jpg 231-2-22.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Yeppers! I knew that would happen to you. We lasted 5 months, then bam! Found the unit we wanted. At least yours is located within a days drive! I went to Knoxville, Tn to get mine!

Please spend as much time as you cant there going over the systems....I can't stress that enough. Top to bottom!!

That's close to the the same weight as mine so you should be fine....a headwind will slow you down significantly, I relaxed and enjoyed it. Westbound in Oklahoma...I had serious headwinds the whole way. The huge rest area flags were straight out! 63mph in 3rd gear was the cruise speed. It didn't help that it's uphill all the way across Oklahoma.

BTW, I have the same entertainment island separating the bedroom from the living area. We like it except, in ours, with the slide in...I can't get out! A minor issue as our slide takes up less space when out so I can use it all the time...

I hope you get a good weight distribution hitch....with anti-sway. My E2 is a blessing. We have some good winds and I've had no issues.

Feel free to call if you have any questions....I'm almost an expert now...geesh.

20181025_114615.jpg

hitching up to leave....love this hitch...

20181025_104138.jpg

Enjoy!

P.S. Put a half tank of fresh water in for travel. Yea you are carrying weight, but the stability is better with the weight over the axles...

20181024_175607.jpg

Edited by videoarizona
add/same pictures....

Good going Don, I'm sure with this addition Eileen will have to stick around for a day or two longer,,,,, she sure has it good!!!.

We had a 28' Citation but found that it wouldn't track well behind our truck. Checked everything, wheel alignments, dolley alignment, hitch, weight distribution,,,, played around with the weight distribution hitch and heights. Nothing seemed to work, it always had a bit of a wiggle, so now we have a 5th wheel and couldn't be happier. If it were me picking it up, I would tow it for bit before writing the cheque.

Congratulations Don & Eileen. Barb and I purchased a 2018 Jayco 5th wheel just over a year ago and have been really enjoying ourselves. Here's how we got the bike down to central Florida when we were spending a month there.

20180301_130650.jpg

You can't do this in every state, and in fact Florida, Georgie and Alabama don't officially allow towing 2 trailers, but a lot of LEOs passed us and didn't bat an eye. It may have something to do with it being allowed in our home state. We don't usually take the 2nd trailer and bike with us. It tows beautifully and turns just inside of where the big trailer does, so you don't have to worry about it being inside too far in a corner. Backing up is a challenge though but it can be done. Our 5th wheel is about 31' long.

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, THAT is GORGEOUS BOSSMAN,, JUST GORGEOUS!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats,, and again I say CONGRATS to you two!!! :thumbsup:

Heyyyy,,, did I ever tell you that right here out our back door, at the start of Michigans BEST touring roads, is a State Park with camp sites that overlook Muskegon Lake and Lake Michigan? People come from miles and miles away to camp right down the road from our house and enjoy, besides the great people of the area, taking endless scenic tours along our lake shore!! Of course, we also have a spare bedroom just in case you folks get tired of sleeping in a trailer :missingtooth:.. Come see us ya lop eared SVTC riding varmint!! Be a fresh killed 1/4 pound Hot Dog in it for ya if ya do brother! :fatsmiley:

On another point of interest,, I wonder if anyone else noticed that @Marcarl seems to always be having alignment problems (if memory serves me, he was having them with his Trike when he and Dogman came and visited us) of some sort? Am I the only one that is suspicious of who/what/where/when the REAL alignment issues lie with when it comes to Carl? :witch_brew:

Thanks puc, we were looking into RVs and I just figured out that I can drive deadhead to your house and stay there and enjoy the area. You are a great guy, thanks for the invitation. See you in the spring.

:farmer:

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, THAT is GORGEOUS BOSSMAN,, JUST GORGEOUS!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats,, and again I say CONGRATS to you two!!! :thumbsup:

Heyyyy,,, did I ever tell you that right here out our back door, at the start of Michigans BEST touring roads, is a State Park with camp sites that overlook Muskegon Lake and Lake Michigan? People come from miles and miles away to camp right down the road from our house and enjoy, besides the great people of the area, taking endless scenic tours along our lake shore!! Of course, we also have a spare bedroom just in case you folks get tired of sleeping in a trailer :missingtooth:.. Come see us ya lop eared SVTC riding varmint!! Be a fresh killed 1/4 pound Hot Dog in it for ya if ya do brother! :fatsmiley:

On another point of interest,, I wonder if anyone else noticed that Marcarl seems to always be having alignment problems (if memory serves me, he was having them with his Trike when he and Dogman came and visited us) of some sort? Am I the only one that is suspicious of who/what/where/when the REAL alignment issues lie with when it comes to Carl? :witch_brew:

Realy Nice Trailer Freebird. Life is good, new bike, new truck, new camper :happy34:

Here is a link to the first thing you might upgrade on the beautiful new TT. That crankin gets old really fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-285318-3500LB-Power-Tongue/dp/B00JMHHF9Q/ref=asc_df_B00JMHHF9Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2586950643733008826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-433996485816&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58868507981&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2586950643733008826&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-433996485816

And I agree with VideoAZ, that WDH hitch is a good one. I have a Reese trunion type, I like it. Make sure if it ever had water added that it has been winterized, or nasty surprise in the spring.

Realy Nice Trailer Freebird. Life is good, new bike, new truck, new camper :happy34:

Here is a link to the first thing you might upgrade on the beautiful new TT. That crankin gets old really fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-285318-3500LB-Power-Tongue/dp/B00JMHHF9Q/ref=asc_df_B00JMHHF9Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2586950643733008826&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-433996485816&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=58868507981&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312087868266&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2586950643733008826&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-433996485816

And I agree with VideoAZ, that WDH hitch is a good one. I have a Reese trunion type, I like it. Make sure if it ever had water added that it has been winterized, or nasty surprise in the spring.

It came with the power jack and power levelers.

We got to the hotel in Grand Rapids about 9:00 last night. Had hoped to get away earlier but had a stairlift install that I didn't finish until about 3:00 yesterday. So we are here, the weather is cooperating so far, and we are ready to go. The dealership is only about 15 minutes from the hotel so we will be heading that way in about 20 minutes. Get everything setup and headed back home. It took about 4 1/2 hours to get here. I figure 5 1/2 to get back home with the trailer in tow.

It was mentioned that I should put some water in the fresh water tank but the dealer told me on the phone that they would have the trailer winterized so I won't be doing that. It's something that I don't have to worry about when I get home though so that's good.

Well all went according to plan. We arrived at the dealer at 8:30 this morning. First thing we did was inspect the trailer and they did a great walk through to explain all the features. They suggested that we add an automatic canopy that extends out with the slideout and it seemed like a good idea so we had them install that also. The tech took my truck keys and by the time we got all the paperwork completed, he had the hitch installed and set up for my truck and trailer and had it pulled around and ready to go. We left Grand Rapids around 11:00 and headed home. There was some light snow falling when we left and it stayed with us for an hour or so and then just occasional mixed but light rain and snow all the way home. We pulled into the driveway at 3:30 so 4 1/2 hours. About the same time that it took us to get there yesterday.

The trailer pulled much better than I expected. I was a bit concerned that we had bought too much trailer for the truck but it quickly became apparent that all was fine. Heck, once I got on the turnpike, I honestly forgot it was behind us a few times. There was a bit of wind and some small hills but I never felt the trailer sway at all. The Tundra has ample power and only occasionally downshifted to a lower gear on a couple of longer inclines. The combination of the Tundra and the hitch that we selected just did a fantastic job. Far exceeded my expectations.

I was mistaken about it having the power tongue jack. It does have the power levelers but did not have the power tongue jack. They had the same one that was linked above in stock so I went ahead and picked it up while there even though it was slightly higher than listed on Amazon. Weather permitting, I'll likely install it tomorrow before I even unhook the truck.

Overall, we couldn't be happier with things at this point. They had it winterized already so I really don't have anything else to do to it until Spring.

Here it is just after arriving home. Truck and trailer are both covered with road grime but I'll deal with that later. Right now, it feels like nap time.

IMG_1248.jpg IMG_1249.jpg

Hey Don, have you decided where she sits for the Winter? We KNOW you have room, but wondered if 'the Right Place' has already been figured out?

Basically we know Jack Schite about TTs, but the thought occurred it would be awfully nice if Shrink Wrapping could be done on something that large. For decades we carefully tarped our boats, but no matter how 'good' a job was done, Every Single Year we were out there in horrible conditions trying to put things back together. Once the Trigger was pulled, the Peace of Mind each time big winds came up was sooo sweet. Just sayin'.

Regardless, we've spent a lotta hours returning to gaze in awe at your beautiful acquisition. Hope you have years and years of enjoyment, AND zero occurrences of dreaded "Two Footitis"!~

Envious regards, WRIDR

Looks great Don. Congratulation to you both. Advise you to set a few mouse traps in the trailer and keep an eye on them over the winter. If you don't pull the battery out, keep it plugged in to keep the battery toped up. I think more important to keep the tires covered then to cover the whole thing. Will it fit into your green house? That would be perfect. Bring it down to Hill Country in March and we'll have a M&E.