IGNORED

Got that rear gear hub wear thing goin on?? I did....

cowpuc

Read em an weep....

Just three weeks ago I replaced front and rear tires and as always greased the rear pins and checked for wear on the drive gears. I always change the final oil every two oil changes. This video is a great reminder to be thorough when maintaining our bikes.

:farmer:

So you guys lube them pins to keep an from corroding away?

Absopositivelylutely Cha... While many sensitive in the ears lop eared varmints may actually be greasing those pins to keep em from squeakin,,, ultimately that squeakin sound is the voice of the pins sayin "hey,,, grease me ya varmint,, put a dab of grease on me and might last an extra couple hundred thousand miles"..

Where's all your SNOW, Someone must have forgot you...............

I always knew you had a worn out gear...............:stirthepot::stickpoke:

How does the mating spline look???

Nahhhhh nahhhhhh deeeeee booooo booooooo ya missed me againnn :cold::no-no-no::rasberry::rasberry::moon: Let it go Fool,,,, let it go or @Freebird may give you a probationary term you wont believe!!!!!:stickpoke:

Those mating teeth didnt look that bad,, down about 20 thou.. I cant but wonder if the hub gear didnt have the same heat treating as the inner gear after hobbing or something cause it definitely had no where near the wear.. GOOD point though brother!!!:bowdown::happy34:

20 thou is a lot to be worn off the mating spline. At least to me anyhow. I would take a gander at Tweeks mating spline and pick the best one. Once the wheel is off, swapping rear ends is easy.

I have actually seen ones where the hub gear is worn right off and there is still usuable teeth on the drive gear and the set on mine were the hub gear was worn to 65% missing and drive gear maybe down 5% BUT = I do hear what your saying and it could come to doing exactly what your talking about.. I have 3 parts bikes I am working from and swap rear tires frequently so I will keep an eye/feel on it and will definitely follow up on your advice if need be..

So is Tweaks the parts bike now? What did ya end up doing with that 87?

Tweaks is still out seeing the country/world only she is doing it one piece at a time... She IS officially a parts bike,,, a purdy one (purdy worn out) but a parts n pieces machine none the less.. That 87 took off and landed in Wisconsin last I heard.. Two strange looking lop eared varmints with Cheesy smelling breath showed up and took that scoot home with em.. I cant complain much about it though cause I twisted their arms while they were here and got em to take a bunch of my jun,,, I mean a bunch of my bike parts home with em too.. I gotta really good video of the two of em somewhere here,,, I get a second I will see if I can find it and post it and see you recognize em.. One of them kind of reminded me of Yogi Bear (real friendly) and the other one was sort of Ogrely like.....

Cowpuc, I don't suppose you have a video of removing the driveshaft and lubing the front end of it? I suppose that should be done occsionally too, correct?

Yeppers!! And noppers,, I got no video of the process right now but will gladly put doing so on my to do list and make one in the near future Sky... Wanna hear something crazy about my goofy youtube vids? I have been getting a smattering of hate comments on them but I also have gotten a fair amount of,,, "Heyyyyyyy,,, THANK YOU!! You actually answered a question that has had me wondering for a long time"... Helping people out there you dont even know is really fun!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey @cowpuc ! Ever seen rear hub wear like this before? Here is a pic from my bike "Walt" when I changed the tire last year, the lip that holds the snap ring is chipped away. How the heck would that happen? Should I be concerned enough to replace the hub? Everything else was rock solid.

IMG_0668.jpg

Puc if you need a differential assembly I have one sitting here that was taken off for the trike conversion. Only has 10k miles on it so it's basically new so to speak.

Larry

Awe,,, YOU are the greatest Larry:bighug:!!!! I totally appreciate the offer my friend but in all actuality I am all set and got er good to go Larry - thinking that precious Tweeksis will outlast me now. So far this week: Swapped out the Progressive 420 that was under her for a good stock one, new Shinko's front and rear with beads, new brake pads front and rear/cleaned all caliper pistons, replaced worn hub, grease grease and more grease on pivots...

Now all we need is some decent weather and its MD and then open the gate and get out the way,,,,, Tip, Tweeksis and Puc are headed to the west coast via,,,,,,, via what ever way the coin toss at the intersections lands :thumbsup:

Hey cowpuc ! Ever seen rear hub wear like this before? Here is a pic from my bike "Walt" when I changed the tire last year, the lip that holds the snap ring is chipped away. How the heck would that happen? Should I be concerned enough to replace the hub? Everything else was rock solid.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112500

I am probably way wrong on this Riv but that dont look like hub damage,, that looks like wheel damage.. IMHO,, it almost looks like someone got aggressive trying to either take the snap ring off or they attempted to knock in back in place with a hammer and snapped the lip that catches the snap ring... At least,, thats what it looks like to me..

Not an extreme emergency IMHO but yea,, I would replace it,, I would find a good used wheel for it,, :backinmyday:one like I got xtra's of:big-grin-emoticon:... I would GLADLY swap ya a good one for a bad one (I would just give ya one but one of these parts bikes without a back wheel on it would be a REAL problem for your old buddy to move around)...

:scared:,, I just had an epiphany,,,,,, jump on Walt,,, head to Michigan,,, we can rip the old boy apart in my driveway out in the sunshine (FEELS GREAT being outside working again brother!!) and make the swap right here and it wont cost ya dime!!! I will also set up a Puc's MGnEM so the two of us dont starve = we can survive on 1/3 pound Hot Dogs cant we??!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hey cowpuc ! Ever seen rear hub wear like this before? Here is a pic from my bike "Walt" when I changed the tire last year, the lip that holds the snap ring is chipped away. How the heck would that happen? Should I be concerned enough to replace the hub? Everything else was rock solid.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112500

That chips away much more and you won't have anything holding the snap ring! If it was mine, I would replace it.

Thanks Puc for the insight, and I agree the damage must be from a previous owner who prefered using a 15lb Sledgehammer rather than a rubber mallet for "tapping things". For the life of me I cannot associate the chipping to friction or wear during regular operation. I really appreciate the offer of a swap/replacement, but I too am already "all set up". I have a spare sitting on a shelf in Arizona, just need to bring her home on our next trip.

I would so love to swing by your place and take you up on the offer of some quality 1/3 pound hot dogs! Work has been really cramping my style and schedule. Was in London UK last week, Moline IL this week, and will be heading to the airport tomorrow to be in Montreal CA this next week. I'm totally jealous that my buddy @videoarizona is headed your way! I asked him to take lots of pictures and say "hi" to you and everyone else along the way......so I can live vicariously through his adventures!

I am probably way wrong on this Riv but that dont look like hub damage,, that looks like wheel damage.. IMHO,, it almost looks like someone got aggressive trying to either take the snap ring off or they attempted to knock in back in place with a hammer and snapped the lip that catches the snap ring... At least,, thats what it looks like to me..

Not an extreme emergency IMHO but yea,, I would replace it,, I would find a good used wheel for it,, :backinmyday:one like I got xtra's of:big-grin-emoticon:... I would GLADLY swap ya a good one for a bad one (I would just give ya one but one of these parts bikes without a back wheel on it would be a REAL problem for your old buddy to move around)...

:scared:,, I just had an epiphany,,,,,, jump on Walt,,, head to Michigan,,, we can rip the old boy apart in my driveway out in the sunshine (FEELS GREAT being outside working again brother!!) and make the swap right here and it wont cost ya dime!!! I will also set up a Puc's MGnEM so the two of us dont starve = we can survive on 1/3 pound Hot Dogs cant we??!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hi @ShinySideUp (I like your forum name by the way!) I totally agree buddy! I can only imagine what would possibly happen if that Snap Ring worked it's way off the hub!!!! I will be replacing it ASAP once I get my hands on my Spare sitting in the hot garage down in Arizona. Not worth the risk.

That chips away much more and you won't have anything holding the snap ring! If it was mine, I would replace it.