IGNORED

Mistaken for a Harley ?

XV1100SE

Rode to work yesterday and as I was parking I worker parking his truck asked me what year my bike was. I told him '09 and he said he has a one. Thinking he had a Venture I said "You are familiar with the Venture" and he said he has an '06 but the motor is being rebuilt. Thought this was strange so I asked him how many miles he has on his bike. He said "about 65,000 on my Street Glide".

Bingo.... clued in he has a Harley and was thinking the Venture was an Electra Glide.

I don't get it...the way he was talking, rebuilding the motor at 65,000 is a normal thing. I'm thinking at 87,000km I only have to check the valve clearance and the motor is good for at least another 200,000 km as is without doing anything major to it. Guess Harley riders accept the fact that major motor work is acceptable.

This is one of my concerns with a v-twin (as in the new "Venture"). You don't expect to get the same mileage that you would out of a liquid cooled V4. High mileage on a v-twin is just broken in for our V4.

The advantage of having 3 cylinders is that if 2 argue you always have one still doing the work and if you have four then they could couple off together and then you would have none. I think I have the best of both worlds,,,,,,, maybe?

The untrained eye understandably has trouble with it, 1st gen mistaken for a wing is common, I've gotten that too but an HD owner mistaking a Venture for another HD I imagine is much less common. As far as rebuild intervals, its understandable considering the op temp of an air cooled twin. Ive never had one go 65k.

I would say half or more of the guys I know that have the tour styled HD, street glide, ultra, electra and heritage type bikes. They seem pretty content with tearing the valve train apart @30k or so to replace lifters, push rods and valve parts. I'm like really that's only 4 or 5 oil changes or 2 years if you ride it instead or trailer it everywhere. Now that I'm over on the Victory forums, I have not heard of any major engine issues. Some of those guys are well over 100k + But all the 106 bikes have oil coolers on them also.

I have had my 1st gen mistaken for a Gold Wing.

He wanted to know why I stuck Yamaha badges on my wing.:confused24: :confused24:

Whenever i show some pictures of my bike. They always say nice wing. I smile & say thanks but its not a wing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mine has been called a Harley and a Wing at times, but that's OK because by calling it something else you are telling me what you know about bikes. Several years ago I put V4 badges on my bike and you know, sometimes they still can't tell the difference. Most people even refer to the Wing as a V6, which we all know is a boxer flat six. And to me the fairing on a gen2 Venture is nothing like a Harley. One is concave style(Harley) and one is convex style(Venture). It's all good though!