IGNORED

How do you people do it?

SaltyDawg

I'm talking to you folks who have to put your scoot up for the winter. I am just getting over a really bad bout of gout and just today rode my RSV for the first time in 3 weeks, gosh it felt so good to be back on her. I was going NUTZ without riding and that was just 3 weeks. I can't imagine what an entire winter would be like. Actually I lied, I did get a test ride in on Saturday albeit a short one to test my ankle.

I live on the East coast of NC and our winters are moderate enough. There have been some cold days and I have ridden 50 to work in 17 degree temps, but for the most part the days haven't been too terrible this past winter.

You folks must be going stir crazy. My heart goes out to you.

Its not easy.....my last ride was Oct 27th. Its started to warm up here and most of the snow is gone. There is just too much loose sand and left over salt on the roads to please me. There are a few brave souls out around but the highest temp I've see so for this Year has been 18C (around 70F) and that was just 1 day....it usually gets to around 12C during the day but below 0 in the night time. I guess thats the price you pay living on an Island in the Atlantic Ocean with a whole bunch of ice off the coast. I would say it will be late May before I get on the road. Now if it wasn't tucked away in its own room up on a stand I may be tempted to go for a ride !

SaltyDawg, I fully sympatize with you about the Gout probelm. I had such a bad attack two year ago I was in a wheel chair. My doctor at the VA gave me a new drug for it and I haven,t had a problem since. If you want I can get you the name of the drug for you. For anybody that has not had the pleasure of Gout you are lucky. The most painful thing I have ever had. It will bring tears to the eyes of the strongest person.

This year was the longest I went without riding (Three weeks). That was only because I couldn't get it to the road due to the snow and ice. I rode several mornings when it was below 20 degrees. I have to say, you get alot of looks. when it's below 20 and your on a bike.

Saltydawg,

I have an answer that eases the pain, Snowmobiles!

Actually, as someone has already said, putting the bike away from October to April/May is just a part of life for most of us in Canada, and the Northern States too I'd guess. Usually, I don't ride till mid May, but I bought my VR in March, and didn't have it tucked away and winterized, so as soon as the weather got warm enough, around 15C, I got out to give her a try. I know that on my nighthawk, with just a small windscreen, it would be cold riding now, but with the full fairing of the VR, plus those heat vents, I hardly notice the cooler air, even at 110KPH on the highway.

Although sometimes I look with envy at the southern US and think it would be nice to ride year round, I think I'd miss the winter activities like snowmobiling. Here in Newfoundland we have so much open country and freedom to ride the sleds, it makes winter a lot of fun. Actually, my sled is still on the trailer in my driveway, I'm thinking of one last ride, as there is still tons of snow in the woods!

As our member from Grand Falls said, the island is still surrounded with pack ice on the ocean that keeps the air cooler, so we are probably not going to see temps above 20C (around 70F I believe) till Mid June month!

Watching the news last night about the weather around Calgary and Edmonton...major snow & blizzard conditions... they interviewed a guy and he said the weekend before it was above 20 celcius and he went out and bought a new M/C ... now he was wishin he'd bought a snowmobile!! LOL

I've had gout for about 25 years now. Suffered bad for the first 5 years or so. My doctor talked me into going on "Allopurinol" and I haven't had a problem with it in years. I tried to control with diet but this is truly a wonder drug. Also, there are NO side effects.

Eddie Flinchum:)

Put the bike up in Nov, ice climb , winter hike & internet shop until May. Just when that starts to get old it's riding time again. Then we enjoy perfect riding temperatures until late August when summer arrives for three weeks. Then the cycle repeats. The constant change of seasons keeps things fresh and builds character.

I've had gout for about 25 years now. Suffered bad for the first 5 years or so. My doctor talked me into going on "Allopurinol" and I haven't had a problem with it in years. I tried to control with diet but this is truly a wonder drug. Also, there are NO side effects.

Allopurinol didn't work for me. Had the worst bout with it 2 weeks after taking the drug, it wouldn't clear up and the doctor took me off of it. As far as diet goes I don't eat any of the things they say causes gout, nor do I drink beer or alcohol.

SaltyDawg, I fully sympatize with you about the Gout probelm. I had such a bad attack two year ago I was in a wheel chair. My doctor at the VA gave me a new drug for it and I haven,t had a problem since. If you want I can get you the name of the drug for you. For anybody that has not had the pleasure of Gout you are lucky. The most painful thing I have ever had. It will bring tears to the eyes of the strongest person.

By all means give me the name. LOL I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks.

I know about the tears part. I was fortunate to catch this bout early enough that I didn't do the normal damage and end up at that point. I have had it so bad that just blowing air across my foot would put me in agony. I get it in my ankle and heel. Oh how I long for the days of getting it in my big toe.

You are susposed to put them up in the winter??? :confused24: :think: I bought Gerbins heating clothing and tend to ride south a little more often in the winter.:thumbsup2:

Brake Pad.

I understand your situation and I feel for your loss:crying:. I would be lonesome for at least a couple of weeks if my wife moved away. Oh well, I guess I could find someone to wash my ride for me...:rotf::whistling::stirthepot:

Guest JGorom
I'm talking to you folks who have to put your scoot up for the winter. You folks must be going stir crazy. My heart goes out to you.

Wayne glad your back in the saddle again. As for how we spend our winters up here when we have to put the bike put away for the winter...well the wife and I have been planning our escape from Tax Hell (that be NY State) and the winter blahs to help remedy that situation. I have two more units of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) for my national certification to do then we will start looking for employment where the taxes are lower and the year round temperatures higher.

Hopefully by next summer we will be in a more hospitable!

Hey Salty, I don't stop riding just because it's cold! The ice just makes it fun.

I ride in the cold, like I said down in the teens, but YOU BE CRAZY!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf: I don't ride with snow or ice on the ground. Then again here in Eastern NC if either is on the ground the world comes to a stop anyway. LOL

That picture looks very scary.

I too have gout for many years and also use Allopurinol works wonders.

Only thing once you start useing it than start again because it will triger an attact.Don'task me how I know this.

Bigbob

I too have gout for many years and also use Allopurinol works wonders.

Only thing once you start useing it than start again because it will triger an attact.Don'task me how I know this.

Bigbob

I was told this was because the uric acid is stored in fat tissue and when you start taking Allopurinol it completely stops the production of uric acid and when levels get low enough in the blood stream, your body will pull the acid all at once from the fat tissue. Thus overloading your system again. If you stop, it once again builds up in your tissue and once you start it pulls it all out again. It's a vicious cycle.