IGNORED

My new Kawasaki

Freebird

HA...it's a TRICK. Not a Kawasaki motorcycle. :)

My old Snapper zero turn mower finally bit the dust. I nursed it through last season and hoped to nurse it through this season but it's just not going to happen. Not sure what is wrong with it but the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 21 HP engine is blowing oil out everywhere. At first I thought it was just a back o-ring gasket on the crankcase breather but when I repaired that, it started blowing oil out in other places. Crankcase vent seems to be functioning properly but it is blowing oil out the valve cover gaskets, into the air breather, everywhere. I suspect that the rings are shot. I can't complain. I've had the mower for 11 or 12 years and it has over 2,000 hours on it. That's a lot for a non-commercial mower. I may try to rebuild the engine or look for a good used one to put on the mower and keep it for a backup because it certainly won't bring anything if I try to sell it. Considered a new motor but with that many hours on the unit, how long before hyrdo pumps, wheel motors, deck spindles and everything else starts going.

So, I went shopping. I decided a few years ago that for my next mower, I wanted to try a front deck model. The problem is, about the only thing you can find with front decks are commercial models and they are expensive. Grasshopper, Snapper Pro, Ferris and a few others but they all start around $13,000.00. That's a lot of money for a home mower.

I was about to settle for another mid-mount zero turn when I found what i HOPE was a good deal. It is a Woods F222K. 61" front deck with power tilt, Kawasaki commercial engine, etc. It was at a dealer about 1 1/2 hours from my house. It is a NEW 2015 model. Used for a demo so has 18 hours on it. It came with the full factory warranty which is 2 years. I got it for about half what a new Ferris or one of the others would have cost me.

Was it a great deal? Time will tell. I've researched the heck out of it but there aren't a lot of reviews. The few that I've found have been mixed with most being very positive but a few not so good. The problem is that in the early years, Woods had other companies make their mowers and some were better than others. For several years now, they have made their own mowers and most people say that they are built like tanks and last a long time. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Sometimes what seems like a good deal turns out to be a nightmare.

I demoed it at the dealer but it won't be delivered until tomorrow morning so it will get a good test when I get home. I was unable to mow last weekend due to a broken mower and a very wet yard from days of rain so it will get a test on some pretty high grass.

I don't have a picture of the one that I bought but this is what it looks like.

2406f2e7-c507-4ee1-b9a4-a83f995ab16d.jpg

Depending on what happens today, I might be gleaning advice in the near future on mowers myself. Cuz I might be mowing a huge yard lol. Yeah, me. Mike's allergic to everything environmental. Yesterday he started his allergy shots that he will be doing for who knows how long.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Well, it depends upon what you call HUGE. :) I mow between 3 1/2 and 4 acres. My old Snapper was a zero turn with a 48" deck. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to mow and then all the trimming and etc. My hope is that the front deck will cut down on some of my trimming because it can get under the low hanging pine trees and etc. much easier and also with the front deck (also wider deck), better stability of the front drive system, etc., I can HOPEFULLY mow around the pond where the Snapper ended up IN the pond if I tried to mow to close to the edge.

Whether you go with the zero turn or a traditional tractor type mower depends upon the type of yard it is. If it has a lot of hills and slopes, you may be better off with a traditional tractor type. If it is mostly flat, zero turns are the only way to go.

Will offer more opinions if you end up being in the market.

What a mower! That looks like it could last a bunch of seasons.

I mow and trim our 3 acres in tbe hills here, mowers are short lived because of all the rocks but knocking down high spots with a line trimmer works ok, helluva way to spend mpst of a day though.

We had a couple goats for awhile and they really didnt put much of a dent in it. They were cool though.

Gosh, I feel so left out of all the fun with my little 17" electric and a 400 sq ft lawn .... :bawling: Don't know what I'm gonna do once we hit the road in our 5th wheel .... hmmmm maybe I'll come down and ride your mower for a while....

What a mower! That looks like it could last a bunch of seasons.

I mow and trim our 3 acres in tbe hills here, mowers are short lived because of all the rocks but knocking down high spots with a line trimmer works ok, helluva way to spend mpst of a day though.

We had a couple goats for awhile and they really didnt put much of a dent in it. They were cool though.

Our goats were more interested in eating the 🍒 tree and other things our cow did a better job.... Good milk too had neighbors that had me milking goats but MHO Goat milk blehhh

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Gosh, I feel so left out of all the fun with my little 17" electric and a 400 sq ft lawn .... :bawling: Don't know what I'm gonna do once we hit the road in our 5th wheel .... hmmmm maybe I'll come down and ride your mower for a while....

How are the electric mowers, I kinda need a cordless.I have a yard big ennuff for 12 foot pool and a dog to roam around it...

Well, it depends upon what you call HUGE. :) I mow between 3 1/2 and 4 acres. My old Snapper was a zero turn with a 48" deck. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to mow and then all the trimming and etc. My hope is that the front deck will cut down on some of my trimming because it can get under the low hanging pine trees and etc. much easier and also with the front deck (also wider deck), better stability of the front drive system, etc., I can HOPEFULLY mow around the pond where the Snapper ended up IN the pond if I tried to mow to close to the edge.

Whether you go with the zero turn or a traditional tractor type mower depends upon the type of yard it is. If it has a lot of hills and slopes, you may be better off with a traditional tractor type. If it is mostly flat, zero turns are the only way to go.

Will offer more opinions if you end up being in the market.

Huge for me is 50+ acres, however the homes Mike and I are looking at are around 3/4 acre - 1 acre. Still a bit more than a push mower should do.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My Exmark has a Kawasaki engine, starts and runs flawlessly. I think you will be happy with it. When the grass gets ahead of me, I find it faster to raise the deck for the first cut, then lower it and fly around again. It seems quicker then slowing down and taking narrower cuts, seems to do a nicer job too.

Craig

Got a Woods.:backinmyday: Cain't go wrong.:Avatars_Gee_George: Just saying. My 42 inch John Deer is a beast. 50 inch Cub Cadet broke again. Starter won't crank. But that Deer is just so much quicker I can knock down 4 acres in about 3 hrs. 50 inch Cadet is a easier mow but starting to show its age. Now I just need a Lawn Sweeper as I'm starting to get REAL GRASS in spots!! Been mowing weeds for years!! Need to pick up that dead grass so the new stuff will grow. :backinmyday:

I hate cutting grass with a passion. I sure wish we could get another BIG snow storm to put it all back into dormancy.Even though my yard is small enough that I can put a pot of water on the stove to make mac n cheese and be done before the water can boil. Maybe it has to do with having to cut the grass since I was tall enough to see over the grip. I used to have to cut 1 acre with an old push reel mower. Dad never got a "power" mower till after I moved out.

At our flying field we have 5 acres of runway that has to be mowed twice a week to keep the grass short, We just bought a new Gravely 60" that thing has no problem cutting at 25 MPH. It will fly thru that 5 acres in just over an hour. But that still aint my job.

I am still tempted to have my whole yard done in green cement, then all my yard problems will be gone for the rest of my life.

I hate cutting grass with a passion. I sure wish we could get another BIG snow storm to put it all back into dormancy.Even though my yard is small enough that I can put a pot of water on the stove to make mac n cheese and be done before the water can boil. Maybe it has to do with having to cut the grass since I was tall enough to see over the grip. I used to have to cut 1 acre with an old push reel mower. Dad never got a "power" mower till after I moved out.

At our flying field we have 5 acres of runway that has to be mowed twice a week to keep the grass short, We just bought a new Gravely 60" that thing has no problem cutting at 25 MPH. It will fly thru that 5 acres in just over an hour. But that still aint my job.

I am still tempted to have my whole yard done in green cement, then all my yard problems will be gone for the rest of my life.

How about that green stuff people use on mini golf....

How are the electric mowers, I kinda need a cordless.I have a yard big ennuff for 12 foot pool and a dog to roam around it...

This little thing is amazing! I even put a thatching blade on it and took my lawn down to almost nothing without any problem.

Point to note though ... mine requires a heavier duty extension cord than your every-day standard. I think the motor rating is 13 amp as compared to 12 or 10.

If youre going to use it as a backup, check out the motors Harbor Freight has , they're not bad motors and are way cheaper than rebuilding the B&S. Just be sure it has the crankshaft size and bolt configuration for mounting pump drives.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

One of these days I'm sure I will be in the market for one like Don's so I am glad he is going to be testing out for us. I'm still using my 1948 Farmall C with an early '60's Woods 60in deck on 7 acres.

I mow 4.5 acres on a Ferris Zero with a 52" deck and a 25hp Kawasaki. I have been using it for 12 years now and it runs great. Takes me about 2 hours. I will probably have it for a while since I can't seem to kill it! I would also consider a front deck type if I were to replace it for the same reasons, getting under the trees, etc.. I have a couple buds who have used the Woods for many years with no problems at all other than routine maintenance. The guys I know have the models with the little diesel engines on them that they claim will run forever. I think you'll be happy with that one Don.

HA...it's a TRICK. Not a Kawasaki motorcycle. :)

My old Snapper zero turn mower finally bit the dust. I nursed it through last season and hoped to nurse it through this season but it's just not going to happen. Not sure what is wrong with it but the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 21 HP engine is blowing oil out everywhere. At first I thought it was just a back o-ring gasket on the crankcase breather but when I repaired that, it started blowing oil out in other places. Crankcase vent seems to be functioning properly but it is blowing oil out the valve cover gaskets, into the air breather, everywhere. I suspect that the rings are shot. I can't complain. I've had the mower for 11 or 12 years and it has over 2,000 hours on it. That's a lot for a non-commercial mower. I may try to rebuild the engine or look for a good used one to put on the mower and keep it for a backup because it certainly won't bring anything if I try to sell it. Considered a new motor but with that many hours on the unit, how long before hyrdo pumps, wheel motors, deck spindles and everything else starts going.

So, I went shopping. I decided a few years ago that for my next mower, I wanted to try a front deck model. The problem is, about the only thing you can find with front decks are commercial models and they are expensive. Grasshopper, Snapper Pro, Ferris and a few others but they all start around $13,000.00. That's a lot of money for a home mower.

I was about to settle for another mid-mount zero turn when I found what i HOPE was a good deal. It is a Woods F222K. 61" front deck with power tilt, Kawasaki commercial engine, etc. It was at a dealer about 1 1/2 hours from my house. It is a NEW 2015 model. Used for a demo so has 18 hours on it. It came with the full factory warranty which is 2 years. I got it for about half what a new Ferris or one of the others would have cost me.

Was it a great deal? Time will tell. I've researched the heck out of it but there aren't a lot of reviews. The few that I've found have been mixed with most being very positive but a few not so good. The problem is that in the early years, Woods had other companies make their mowers and some were better than others. For several years now, they have made their own mowers and most people say that they are built like tanks and last a long time. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Sometimes what seems like a good deal turns out to be a nightmare.

I demoed it at the dealer but it won't be delivered until tomorrow morning so it will get a good test when I get home. I was unable to mow last weekend due to a broken mower and a very wet yard from days of rain so it will get a test on some pretty high grass.

I don't have a picture of the one that I bought but this is what it looks like.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109157

Nice looking scoot.

It's now how fast you mow. It's how well you mow fast! Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't understanding your thinking though. There's a new Yamie being unveiled on June 5th and you spent the money on a mower instead.:rotf:

I don't understand either. Buying a mower was NOT something that I wanted to do. I've worked on the old Snapper for the last two or three weekends trying to extend its life. I even though seriously about buying a new motor for it but the Hydro drives and etc. are showing signs of weakness also and then the deck spindles and etc. would likely follow soon after.

On another note, I also see that Yamaha is now making lawn vertical shaft mower engines. V Twins. That MAY be what the new motorcycle will have. :)