IGNORED

I know I can get input on anything on this site.

uncledj

Lisa and I are looking to get a new mattress.

The one we have is about 8 years old,....I think it's a Simmons Beautyrest.

We got it at Sams, and it was OK for a year or two, then we'd have to rotate it every couple of weeks because it would have depressions where each of us would lay. This is a "no flip" mattress, so what I'd do is, since it's nearly square, I'd rotate it instead.

Anyhoo, it's to the point where it needs replaced.

What's a decent mattress that either can be flipped, or won't leave depressions so early in it's life....

Don't want to buy an overpriced that will end up doing the same thing.

Don't want to break the bank either, but am willing to pay a bit more for a decent mattress.

Anyone willing to opine? :draming:

you got to bring up a mattress when I was just wishing I was at home on mine. :080402gudl_prv:

we had a select comfort and it did not leave the impression but I could not find my number and we give it to my parents they liked it.

we now have a Tempur pedic it is ok but a bit over priced. we got all the bells and whistles but hardly use any of it wasted money if you don't use them. :mo money:

We bought a new king size memory foam bed 2 years ago. Paid a good chunk of money for it. Can't recall the brand and it's currently "occupied" so can't look.

It is super comfortable and holds it's shape. When we bought it, we hoped to get another mattress that can be flipped like our previous one but they apparently don't make those anymore .. well, at least that's what we were told and there wasn't any in the store (this is a bedding only store so they have all major brands and models).

We do spin it end to end every 6 months.

https://www.originalmattress.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=Brand_ATL&Region=ATL&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4mE4DuRJfhcgquoAti6MTDI10sXrzKbX9nItqT5HmlsaAh758P8HAQ

We like ours. Almost all of their mattress are 2 sided so you can flip them and double the life span. Better priced then those name brands too.

A few years ago, we bought a Sleep Number mattress. I have to say that it's the worse money we've ever spent on a mattress. It quickly developed indentions/low spots, whatever you want to call them.

We finally bought a memory foam mattress. I don't remember the brand but it rivaled the top selling brands at a fraction of the cost. It was made in Pennsylvania. The company made different kinds of foams for industrial uses and the mattress business was sort of a sideline for them. They decided to get out of the mattress business and concentrate completely on their core foam business. I found that out when I was trying to find what i had bought because a friend was interested.

We have had this one for probably 6 or 7 years now and it seems to be as good now as it was then. I suppose it could be flipped or rotated but never has been. I know this doesn't help you in regards to a brand but I can tell you for a fact that when we have to replace this one, it will be replaced with another memory foam type mattress.

https://www.originalmattress.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=Brand_ATL&Region=ATL&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4mE4DuRJfhcgquoAti6MTDI10sXrzKbX9nItqT5HmlsaAh758P8HAQ

We like ours. Almost all of their mattress are 2 sided so you can flip them and double the life span. Better priced then those name brands too.

I've got to strongly 2nd this. They sold my parents on their quality big time and they pretty much insisted I get a set. I went into the Fairlawn Ohio store 21 years ago and ordered a queen set sent here to the Detroit area. My wife and I have been sleeping on it for 20 years and we're not small people. It's just starting to show some wear. As I recall it was pitched as a 20 year mattress so that would be about right.

I expect in the next year or two we'll be getting another one.

How interesting this comes up now that we have been looking for a nee mattress.

We have been to a couple places looking and tried out the memory foam and I could barely lay down on it before I ruled it out. It did feel warm, too warm but more than that it felt like it locked me in place. I dont sleep like normal people so that wont work.

Some of the most comfy ones we tried were basic beautyrest no frills beds in a medium firmness, most prices under $1000. I cant imagine why I should spend more on a mattress than I did on my motorcycle.

Im definately going to check on that link above, our current mattress is well past its serviceable life. Imagine sleeping in a cereal bowl, made out of drain grates, barbed wire and golf balls.

​For those of you with the memory foam mattresses:......Do they get hot ???

Ours doesn't. What it does do is if it's cold when you crawl in, it takes no time to match your body temp. We've never found ours to feel hot or uncomfortable. We can have the temp in the house quite cool and still feel warm and comfortable in bed.

We also have a good quality moisture wicking mattress cover that is breathable, resists mites, etc , protects against bacterial growth, stays cool, and is water proof.

We paid a good dollar for it but IMO, it was worth it. Having a good bed is very important.

My mattress is now nearing 40 years old, still feels the same as the day I bought it.

I have a hard time sleeping on any other mattress because it just don't feel right.

The only time I wake up with aches or pains is when I did something dumb the day before and earned those aches and pains.

I expect this mattress to out live me.

Yes I am old school, I have a king size waterbed. Water just does not wear out, It will have the same properties a thousand years from now, does not get depressions, it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Yes you have to add chemicals once a year to keep it in good health. I will have this water bed until I can no longer get sheets and chemicals for it.

​For those of you with the memory foam mattresses:......Do they get hot ???

We've got one at our vacation shack. I was worried about it being hot because it is a summer place and there is no AC. I haven't had a problem with it. We use a quilted mattress pad so that probably makes them all feel similar temp wise.

BTW - I love that one too. It's an 8" memory foam from Walmart sitting on a rigid base (no box spring). You absolutely cannot feel the other person move which I really like. I'd consider using one for a replacement at home but the wife isn't sure she'd like it for every night (something about her knees being sensitive to the bed....). Last weekend we stayed over at friends' place that had bought a 12" memory foam for their shack and temporarily put it on the bed in their guest room. I found it very comfortable with the box spring under it too. No idea how long they hold up though........

One thing - memory foam stinks to high heaven first few days after you unwrap it. I think they also recommend letting it have some time to expand before using it. Don't plan on sleeping on it first couple nights.

One thing - memory foam stinks to high heaven first few days after you unwrap it. I think they also recommend letting it have some time to expand before using it. Don't plan on sleeping on it first couple nights.

Yes, there is an odor and they do suggest letting it air out but ours never seemed to smell too bad at all when we got it. Perhaps it had already aired out in the warehouse???

Boy, I just bought a new mattress and after reading the above posts, hope I didn't make a mistake.

I bought an Ikea firm mattress for around $200. One of those rolled up ones. Coil spring, etc. It's not flippable but they recommend rotation every couple of months. Has a 25 year warrantee and a 1 year "if you don't like it, bring it back and exchange it for a different one".

I unrolled it and let it sit for a day, then put it on the bed supported by an old box frame. Put a 1 inch memory foam mattress protection pad on it and it's quite comfortable. Noticed we can bounce around and not bother the other person as well. There is decent support for my aching back. And it doesn't feel "warm" or "cold" compared to others I've slept on. The only downside so far is when I sit on the edge, I feel I'm sinking down quite a bit. Not like the old extra firm I threw out. You could sit on the edge and not sink an inch!

Not enough time to know if it will create impressions or sinkholes, but so far I'm impressed.I'm sleeping very well. And for the money, if it doesn't last...I'm ok with finding something else.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60307417/#/00307415

Ah...I see there is a pic in the link above that shows construction. There is a layer of foam around the edge...that's why I senk in. Big butt...guess I'd better try harder to lose weight....

Edited by videoarizona
add link and thought

Ever since I was in the Army, I can sleep anywhere on most anything. I've spent several nights on the floor in the airport using my carry-on as a pillow. I was 69 the last time. I prefer the foam mattresses. We have a couple of those in the house but the master bedroom has a really firm coil spring mattress, one of Sears best with two layers totalling 4" of memory foam on the top that I added.

Sam's club has a hybrid mattress that has foam and soft springs in the shoulder and leg area and firm springs in the waist for support. I'm a stomach sleeper and this mattress is the most comfortable for me. I had a brand name foam one for 7 years. It was awesome for about 4 then quickly became so uncomfortable that I dreaded sleeping on it.

Went and looked at a few today.

The one we liked the best was at The Original Mattress Factory.

The typical mattresses there were ok, but, the memory foam one was the most comfortable, and the most expensive. About $2300 out the door.

Sams had a foam (hybrid) that felt ok,...a little soft, at less than half the price, but it was one sided, and 6lb foam, whereas the one at OMF was 2 sided, and 8lb latex foam, guaranteed 12 yrs, and supposedly won't leave depressions.

Jury's still out, but I'm thinking we'll end up laying out the $2300.

We're gonnna sleep on it. lol.

Thanks for all the great, and helpful input.:draming:

I had a serta we paid out the butt for and it only lasted a couple of years this pillow top we have now leaves me sore and is hard for me to get out of in the morning... I don't have a mattress factory but the mattresses I looked at werent no where close to what I spent on my serta....

I have worn out several of those 3/4 inch Egg Shape pads over the last few years.. It used to be I could sleep in the tent with one - even just the sleeping right on the ground but somehow over the years I turned sissy.. Now for our house use,, many years ago when my oldest was 5 (I remember this because I pulled her and the other kids around the yard in the snow on it before I unwrapped it and brought it inside the house) we purchased a new king sized mattress from a local (Grand Rapids) mattress manufacture. I am not sure of the name of the place but it was over on Chicago Drive.. We both really liked xtra firm mattresses so we spent the big bucks and got their most expensive (which was actually cheaper than Poster Pedic or other top dog brands).. We slept on, kids bounced on, had camp outs on and on and on that big old bed with no problems until we moved into our new house.. It was still a good sleeping old bed, nothing wrong with it so we put it in one of our back bedrooms for when the kids or other company come for a sleep over party (several of you lop eared VR varmints have even slept on it)..

When we moved here we had enough cash left over from the sale of our business and some properties that we decided to spring for a new bed.. Spent the big dollar (thing was twice as much as the other one was 20 years ago) at a high end local furniture joint. Got the extra extra firm again, pillow top (just like a good 2nd Gen seat :happy65:) and all that.. Shoooooot,, wasnt even two years later and we started noticing the old "lets indent and see if we can ruin a good nites sleep for em" technique setting in if we didnt flip it on a regular basis (every couple weeks - pain the butt - too old for that nonsense).. Talked Tippy into swapping em back - giving the guest room the new one and getting back the old worn out for us.. Worked great,, never a complaint from our guests (about being able to sleep - have had a few complaints about my cooking and keeping people up all night yakking)...

Ya know Unc,, gotta agree with ya,, we really do talk about everything under sun around here dont we :scratchchin:

We've got 2 of these, 1 for each house and love them. And for the price if they only last 5 years, who cares. But so far I seen no signs of wear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTCL3SQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WOW

That's 1/10 of what I'll pay at OMF.

How soft is it? I don't want to sink into it....I like 'em kinda firm.

WOW

That's 1/10 of what I'll pay at OMF.

How soft is it? I don't want to sink into it....I like 'em kinda firm.

I would say this is a medium firmness. It's not as soft as a pillow top mattress that we used to have and it is certainly not like sleeping on a board. We've actually had 3 of them. The first we bought as an RV mattress replacement. We didn't want to invest a lot of money in a mattress for it. After we got it we liked it so much we bought one for home. We then sold the RV and bought a FL house so we bought a third for that bed. We've been using them for about 3 years now. I'm a big guy and I don't sink into it. My logic at the time was that it wasn't a lot of money to try it. It is better than one we tried several years ago from Sams Club.

Somebody asked if the foam mattresses are hot. Ours is not at all. When we bought it, we opted for the optional "bamboo" cover. That is supposed to prevent it from being hot. Have never used one without the cover so don't know how it would be otherwise.

About 7 or 8 months ago we tossed our Select Comfort air raft crap-o-pedic mattress and took a shot in the dark at a "Brentwood Home" 13" thick Olympic Queen size memory foam mattress and couldn't be happier. It has the Bamboo Cover and is made of all Eco-Friendly materials. I bought through Amazon but you can also go direct. I paid less than $600 and it is every bit comparable to a $5K Temperpedic. Highly recommend this.

We bought a "Casper" king mattress on line after hearing a radio commercial. It delivered to the house in a cardboard box about the size of a box of dishes. I thought, this is a mattress??? The instructions are to carefully cut the plastic seal and unfold it on top of your box springs or platform. Within minutes we had a king size bed!

We love the thing. It has been two years and it feels like new. The edges are sharp and no fixed depressions.