IGNORED

You are welcome.............pet peave

Venturous Randy

I know I getting old, but I can not seem to not get a little irritated when I tell someone "Thank you" and I get one of those guttural "No problem" comments back. Why does it seem to be a problem for me to thank someone, usually a younger person, when I feel it is appropriate to thank them.

Last night, Linda and I ate at a fish restaurant and had a real cute dimpled young lady as a server. When she brought me another tea, I looked up and said "thank you'. She then stated "you are very welcome". She then stepped away, but when she came back by the table, I stopped her and told her how much I appreciated her comment and how I despised being told "no problem". She said I know what you mean and said that if her momma heard her respond back with a "no problem" comment, she would be in trouble real quick.

When we left, I left her a good tip and it wasn't just for her cute dimples.

Randy

Speaking of pet peaves, I have one too. It seems more and more when we're out to dinner the server will ask "what are WE having?" I wonder, are they going to eat with us? Then later i get "what are WE having for dessert?" I want to ask, are you going to help pay for it?

Dennis

I know I getting old, but I can not seem to not get a little irritated when I tell someone "Thank you" and I get one of those guttural "No problem" comments back. Why does it seem to be a problem for me to thank someone, usually a younger person, when I feel it is appropriate to thank them.

Me too, it doesn't just irritate me, it pisses me off, I hate it with a passion. My immediate response is immediate regret for the thank you and a "Piss off a$$hole!!" just in my head of course. What a way to spoil a moment.

Here's one of mine. Someone responds to something they did to you by saying "my bad". Why can't they say, "I'm sorry"? There's no remorse in "my bad". When someone says, "I'm sorry", they are saying they have regret at doing something.

One that I hear more and more in response to "I'm Sorry" is "You're OK". I hate that worse than no problem.

When they say "You're OK" or "You're fine" I say "If you think I'm fine now, you shoulda seen me 20 years ago! I was hot!"

Speaking of pet peaves, I have one too. It seems more and more when we're out to dinner the server will ask "what are WE having?" I wonder, are they going to eat with us? Then later i get "what are WE having for dessert?" I want to ask, are you going to help pay for it?

Dennis

Another one is the server asking "What are you drinking?" when you first get there. I generally look around and with a dumb-founded expression reply "Nothing. I just came in. Will you please bring me an unsweet tea?"

Last night, Linda and I ate at a fish restaurant and had a real cute dimpled young lady as a server. When she brought me another tea, I looked up and said "thank you'. She then stated "you are very welcome". She then stepped away, but when she came back by the table, I stopped her and told her how much I appreciated her comment and how I despised being told "no problem". She said I know what you mean and said that if her momma heard her respond back with a "no problem" comment, she would be in trouble real quick.

Randy

I have been known to say "Problem? is there a question that it might have been a problem?"

Occasionally someone will say "My Pleasure" or "¡ El gusto es mio!" . I usually make it a a point to acknowledge their pleasant response

You guys ARE just getting old, the words used change over time (this is good) the meaning is unchanging and solid. Think about it; some person acted politely, did something nice, they didn't use your preferred method of acknowledging your thanks, so now you're mad at them?

Hint; Good on you (mate) is an acceptable thank you /congratulations, also.

It's today culture, how many times have you said thank you and got no response at all, at least they respond to you, even though its not the polite response, you know they heard you. I will take a no problem or my pleasure over being ignored completely. When my kids were young and someone spoke to them, there response wasn't always the polite one, my cure to that was to correct them and make sure they always said please and thank you and yes sir and yes mam. It didn't take long for them to catch on. Now my son is doing the same thing with his young ones, ages 7 and 2, and they sometimes forget, all he has to say is, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" and out come the magic words. Today if you weren't brought up that way, its the parents fault because they weren't taught manners by their parents, and when that doesnt happen you end up with ill mannered people.

You guys ARE just getting old, the words used change over time (this is good) the meaning is unchanging and solid. Think about it; some person acted politely, did something nice, they didn't use your preferred method of acknowledging your thanks, so now you're mad at them?

Hint; Good on you (mate) is an acceptable thank you /congratulations, also.

I agree ... y'all are getting old and crotchety! LOL

Also agree with DragonRider ... "no problem" respone is better than no response.

Now here's mine ... 2 of them.

Walking behind someone and going into/out of a building ... they open the door but neglect to consider there's someone behind them.

Again, going into/out of a building ... I open the door for me and the person on the other side barges through... as if I was opening it for them.

Same thing exiting an elevator or a transit vehicle ... people barge in before you have a chance to exit.

Common courtesy has gone the way of common sense!

We interact with a much greater range of cultural norms these days, polite in the hinterlands may be an invitation to a mugging in some cities!

A middle age Walmart employee took my cart as I finished loading groceries in the Venture yesterday. I said "Thank you sir!" He kinda looked like he was deciding if I was a nice guy or a smart ass.

These are your pet peeves. No problem is usually short for 'no problem happy to be of assistance'. Wow. So go ahead, be pissed off at someone trying to be polite back to you. Just wait until you say thanks and someone replies "up yours". You will probably have a new 'pet peeve'.

Mike

What really rubs me raw is when I go into a fast food joint and this little hottie behind the counter says, "How can I help

You Sweetie". Really, I don't consider myself harmless yet. Bet if they got on the bike with me they would be calling me everything but Sweetie before we got back.:smile5:

Now I'm upset because the little hottie behind the counter doesn't call me Sweetie :( lol I guess sweetie is better than "Waddya want ya old fart" which is may well be what she's thinking.

When I or my lady hold a door for someone we usually greet their "thank you" with a polite "You're welcome"

If the person breezes through like they have a right, we also say to them in a louder tone... "You're Welcome!" sometimes (dependent upon their attitude) "You're most welcome"

It does often make people realise that they are being rude or thoughtless.

If the person breezes through like they have a right, we also say to them in a louder tone... "You're Welcome!" sometimes (dependent upon their attitude) "You're most welcome" s.

I do the same thing but I have NEVER had some one react to my pointing out how rude they are this way

Now I'm upset because the little hottie behind the counter doesn't call me Sweetie :( lol I guess sweetie is better than "Waddya want ya old fart" which is may well be what she's thinking.

When I or my lady hold a door for someone we usually greet their "thank you" with a polite "You're welcome"

If the person breezes through like they have a right, we also say to them in a louder tone... "You're Welcome!" sometimes (dependent upon their attitude) "You're most welcome"

It does often make people realise that they are being rude or thoughtless.

I know she is being polite and means well. I tell her to have a good day too. But theirs nothing wrong with being called an "Old Fart" either bought all my friends are "Old Farts". Just another distinction for being above ground this long.:beer:

It's today culture, how many times have you said thank you and got no response at all, at least they respond to you, even though its not the polite response, you know they heard you. I will take a no problem or my pleasure over being ignored completely. When my kids were young and someone spoke to them, there response wasn't always the polite one, my cure to that was to correct them and make sure they always said please and thank you and yes sir and yes mam. It didn't take long for them to catch on. Now my son is doing the same thing with his young ones, ages 7 and 2, and they sometimes forget, all he has to say is, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" and out come the magic words. Today if you weren't brought up that way, its the parents fault because they weren't taught manners by their parents, and when that doesnt happen you end up with ill mannered people.

Lewis,

I'm sure you will understand when I say,

"AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"

Randy

I hear ya brother.. It's amazing how refreshing a simple "thank you" with a "your welcome" in response can be.. Even in our activities here in our home forums I have seen that work.. There have been a few times where I have noticed someone asking for help, getting several answers and then - after several weeks = still no clicking on the "thank you" taking place.. Just a simple acknowledgment of appreciation seems to be difficult for a few people.. In the end though, I still see the people responding with answers to people's problems - unaltered by unthankfulness - which has a double positive effect on me cause I think it's way cool when folks rise above rudeness..

When my kids were real little I had a little game I played with them = whoever said "thank you" first got a " your welcome and thank you for the greatful attitude" response from us.. Sort of a way to make saying "thank you" competitive between the kids.. It was AMAZING how well that worked (4 kids = LOTS of sibling rivalry)!!! My adult children still talk about the effectiveness of us doing that to this day = reminding us of how it taught them of the importance of those three little words = please and thank you!

Good thread Rand!!:happy34: