IGNORED

Shinko tires ordered

sho_greg

Anyone have experience with shinko? About $150 for 2 tires shipped.. thought I'd give them a try... planned to buy Michelins but....

Also went ahead and ordered bearings for front, rear, and steering.. Anyone have experience changing them?

Also got front springs ordered.. Anyone got any experience.. did you like the stock ride or progressive springs?

Thanks

I'm running Shinko Tourmasters front and rear on my 89 VR. Like the ride, control and security of knowing the tires stick like glue.

Not concerned about mileage as I don't mind changing tires...makes me grease the rear!

When RSV needs tires, going for Shinkos there as well....

Ran a Shinko HD about 3000 miles on the rear of a K1200LT it worked great no complaints, I sold the bike. I have run about 15 Shinkos on other bikes no problems. I did have a used shinko that came on a bike that had a split to the tube in the center of the tread area. tire was not very old and had good tread. But I have no way of knowing the history. It did not LOOK like FOD contact damage. I contacted Shinko USA about it and never heard back.

Those are what I got... tourmaster.. but I would like to get 10k out of the rear..

Then recommend keep the tire pressures within 2 lbs of max for solo and at max for 2 up (in rear). Maximize the mileage....working with my 89 as they still look new and have been on for over a year...

I have a tour master on the front of my RSV with about 15,000 miles on it. It still looks great and rides good too.

I ran two on the rear of the RSV and two on the rear my XS1100 and only got 5 to 6K out of them.

The next time I need one for the front it will be a tour master, but no more on the rear for me.

I ran the Tourmaster on the RSV. I thought they were OK. I only had maybe 5-8k on them when I traded bike, but tread was still very good. I am thinking about Shinkos for the Victory in the SE890 I think it is radial flavor. Have read a couple bad posts on them, but most things are good.

I am running a Shinko on the front of my Venture as well. Seems to be doing ok, but I am not so sure how I feel about it yet with wet roads and tar snakes. The jury is still out. The 777 line is a thicker treaded tire I believe and should last longer then the Tourmaster I am given to understand. We shall see.

• 1 month later...

Put about 1500 on the front shinko 130/90/16 777HD so far very happy. good mix of freeway and country curves, wet and dry. 170 pound me and camping gear. Ridden at a moderate pace. Had to haul bike home from Barber when the rear Dunlap 404 was bald at 4500 miles, probably would have blown before I got the 850 miles to home done. Fortunately a friend with a trailer was going my way. 150/90/15 Shinko 777 HD on order.

After 12000+ on shinko 230s I bought a parts bike with like new 8+ year old Metzeler 880s. So I swapped wheel sets to use em up last year (86 VR). 7000 miles later I am starting to see wear bars on the rear and I can hardly wait to swap back. Replaced rear 230 at 6500 miles because I had the wheel out anyway and it still had some life left. Ditto with the one I swapped the 880 for at near 6k. It'll go back on soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

99RSV put Shinko 130/90/16 777HD on the front about 2,000 miles ago. The PO's new rear 404 was bald at 4500 miles one up, varied riding. Too bad that I tried to get a last trip out of the tire and didn't make it. Couple things came together and I trailered it home last 800 miles. Now have 300 miles on a 150/90/15 777HD Shinko rear $100 delivered next day, bikebandit. Easy to mount reasonable amount of weights to balance. Impressive looking amount of tread. Handling seems good but still need to put in steering bearings... End of season is near here, cutting firewood is my fall "leisure activity".

Edited by gggGary

I'll weigh in now that I have some data. Only about 200 miles on the tire so far (model 777) Couple of things i noticed right off. It seems way stickier than the E3 it replaced. I bought the reinforced sidewall or 80 load rating. riding two up its very noticable that the suspension is working not the tire ( that's a good thing). Overall pleased, I don't see anywhere marks yet so I can't attest to longevity.

The only thing is I couldn't find a valve stem mark on the tire... I guess some tires don't have them? but it doesnt wobble or thump so its all good.

Well it's been a bit longer and i've had the need to "push" it occasionally. What I really like is the handling. The elites I had before stuck well but when leaning into a curve I always felt a bit of resistance at a certain point (around 15 degrees from vertical maybe less) then I had to lean harder to get it the rest of the way over, especailly at lower speeds, which led me to think from all of my reading here on getting the narrow front tire that everyone reccomends and seeing if this would help. Not needed now, the 777 is very stable and predicatable from vertical to floor board scraping, girlfriend screaming angles and it comes right back up with a little throttle or easing up the pressure on the bars. I'm looking forward to putting one on the front.

Edited by baylensman
new data