IGNORED

Warning to those in NC or those thinking of visiting NC.....

Eck

Be careful.......SPEED Enforcement warning issued yesterday (03-23-16) ...begins today (03-24-16)!!!!!!!

http://myfox8.com/2016/03/23/speeding-enforcement-crackdown-in-nc-to-target-anyone-going-above-posted-limit/

Sooooo,, how fast were ya going and how much was the ticket :big-grin-emoticon:

One of these days my smart alec :Im not listening to is gonna get me into big trouble :mugshot:

Well let's see after retiring from 35 years of doing this kind of stuff.......I can say that some politician, some bureaucrate from the DMV or even the chief can come out with a grand statement or plan........"one over and they get a ticket" "no breaks, the ticket will not be knocked down, whatever the speed, you will get a ticket for the full amount."

Well that's just great......but I'm the guy standing at the side of the road with my ass hanging out in traffic and I have to deal with the public.......And I'm not buying into what your selling......so maybe I'll decide if this is a situation where a little discretion might be in order!

In other words not all the officers out there will drink the Kool-aid.....and of course some would give their mother a ticket if it made there personal stats look good! (Not a lot of those but they are out there!)

But that said, more and more big-brother is watching the officers....in car cameras in some cases watch the officers as much as the bad guys. The on board laptops can now tie in with the radar and track and produce a printout of all times and readings made by the radar. And with ticket printers and plate readers, the car reads the plate and runs the registered owner and pre fills the info on the ticket before you even get back to the car. If the owner is not the driver you can run his drivers license through a card reader or a bar code scanner and it will pre fill. The computer takes the speed from the radar and pre fills that. The GPS tracking on the car pre fills the location. The officer can over ride and change any of these things but the computer tracks it all, so it can be down loaded later. An officer might get called in to explain any or all changes made. Of course this equipment cost money so not all police departments have it and many that do don't put it in all their cars. But it's out there......

While I'm on this rant.... a thing that came out of GPS tracking was they could go back and track where the car had been on the whole shift. They said when this 1st came out it was just for officer safety and would never be used for discipline. That lasted til the 1st guy screwed up. Well my personal feeling is don't do anything stupid and it won't matter. But what did bug me is the GPS tracks how fast your going and knows where you are and knows the posted speed limit. Soon as it records your doing more than 30 over the posted speed limit, it sends a speed notification to your boss. Now you HAVE to do a letter as to why you were doing more than 30 over..........Remember for us this is 30km/h that's 18MPH......

"Well the speeder that I clocked doing 28 over as he went by me and turned out to be a stolen car, was really hard to catch up to with me doing 29 over so I did 30 or a bit more."........."Well the robbery at gun point in progress call, I was going to, was just two blocks over, so I tryed to keep it at 29 & a half while I rushed to the call but I guess I hit 30 or a bit more over"

And yes I did type these actual lines and some others that didn't go over to well..... It just killed me they knew you were justified but they still made you do a letter and waste your time. And I could spend the rest of my shift driving everywhere at 28-29 over and that was OK, even if it was to the donut shop, long as it wasn't 30. For the reason that is dumb cause you need to know context and the situation. Is the same reason 10 over in a school zone at noon with kids running around everywhere WILL get you a ticket........but 10 over on the highway in the middle of no where might not even get you stopped......unless I'm bored, then you get stopped, so we can chat and I can do some fishing.....never know what you might catch.......nothing......everything else is cool.....OK you can go but do me a favour be more carefull and slow down!

:rant:

Eck I know this but the bike speedo is a little faster than your actual speed. If you run 65 by the speedo in a 65 zone you should not get caught speeding.

Yea, your right I guess but not so sure that is always the case on every bike. Might just be though, but watching the speed on the GPS is most always correct no matter what bike you are on was my point. My point was not that you were wrong.

Ride safe...and ride slow...but I guess you do anyway by your site name.. :rotf: :sign just kidding:

Eck I know this but the bike speedo is a little faster than your actual speed. If you run 65 by the speedo in a 65 zone you should not get caught speeding.

This is true.....most manufacturers of vehicle set the speedo to read 2-5 faster than what the vehicle is actually traveling they don't want to be sued cause you get a ticket. So you're actually doing something like 28 when your speedo says 30.

Look at any police package vehicle and the speedo will say something like, "Certified" "Police Certified" "Certified Calibration" that is because the speedo reads true when it leave the factory unlike all the other cars they make.

This thread brings about some pretty fond memories of a debate I had with a buddy of mine after a long day of riding.. We were sitting by a camp fire in the U. P. of Michigan, swatting skeeters and trying to burn a couple Hot Dogs before we climbed into our tents. My buddy mentioned to me that I had a tendency of riding a little above the speed limit and asked if I was concerned about getting a ticket for doing so.. I told him that most Cops wouldn't write for up to 5 MPH over the speed limit if you were driving a car and that they double that buffer zone for us motorcycles - allowing us bikers to safely travel 10 MPH over.. He basically called me out on that one..

We sat there arguing the point when I had a epiphany.. I told him that I KNEW I could get caught on Radar by a Police Officer going at least 10 MPH over the speed limit and I would not get a ticket, he disagreed (like I knew he would) and we made a bet - I would purposely speed the next time we saw a Cop running Radar - if I got a ticket, I bought dinner at a place of his choice - if I didnt, he bought dinner at a place of my choice.. I could see "STEAK" written all over my buddies face as he grinned and crawled into his little nylon tent that night..

Next day, while headed toward Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior, we both noticed a Michigan State Police running radar on the road we were traveling.. My buddy gave me the strangest look when I pulled into the parking lot where the Trooper was sitting.. I pulled up next to the officers squad car and said - "I just put new tires on this thing and wondered if you check me with your Radar so I can see how close my Speedo is".. Nice guy,,, he says sure why not.. It was a pretty dead area with not much traffic,, my buddy sat there in the parking with his mouth hanging open when I went flying by doing a good 15 MPH over the speed limit.. Went back to the Troopers car, he shook his head and said yea - that thing is way out of wack,, I had you at 16 over - you really need to have that thing looked at.. I told the officer thank you, got on my bike and headed for a place called "The Dog Patch" in Munising Michigan (was a LONG time ago - no idea if its still there - was a REALLY cool place though) that I had heard about earlier in the trip...

Good thread,, THANKS for the great memories you guys!!

Years ago the over was set at 10+ mph. This was because that is when it can be proved to the court. There are so many variables and issues in with radar that they needed this to get over to get judgement. Bottom line is that they just want everybody to slow down. If all the low over speed ticket holders fight the ticket in court, they will win/clog the courts.

:farmer:

Former LEO w/radar certification

This thread brings about some pretty fond memories of a debate I had with a buddy of mine after a long day of riding.. We were sitting by a camp fire in the U. P. of Michigan, swatting skeeters and trying to burn a couple Hot Dogs before we climbed into our tents. My buddy mentioned to me that I had a tendency of riding a little above the speed limit and asked if I was concerned about getting a ticket for doing so.. I told him that most Cops wouldn't write for up to 5 MPH over the speed limit if you were driving a car and that they double that buffer zone for us motorcycles - allowing us bikers to safely travel 10 MPH over.. He basically called me out on that one..

We sat there arguing the point when I had a epiphany.. I told him that I KNEW I could get caught on Radar by a Police Officer going at least 10 MPH over the speed limit and I would not get a ticket, he disagreed (like I knew he would) and we made a bet - I would purposely speed the next time we saw a Cop running Radar - if I got a ticket, I bought dinner at a place of his choice - if I didnt, he bought dinner at a place of my choice.. I could see "STEAK" written all over my buddies face as he grinned and crawled into his little nylon tent that night..

Next day, while headed toward Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior, we both noticed a Michigan State Police running radar on the road we were traveling.. My buddy gave me the strangest look when I pulled into the parking lot where the Trooper was sitting.. I pulled up next to the officers squad car and said - "I just put new tires on this thing and wondered if you check me with your Radar so I can see how close my Speedo is".. Nice guy,,, he says sure why not.. It was a pretty dead area with not much traffic,, my buddy sat there in the parking with his mouth hanging open when I went flying by doing a good 15 MPH over the speed limit.. Went back to the Troopers car, he shook his head and said yea - that thing is way out of wack,, I had you at 16 over - you really need to have that thing looked at.. I told the officer thank you, got on my bike and headed for a place called "The Dog Patch" in Munising Michigan (was a LONG time ago - no idea if its still there - was a REALLY cool place though) that I had heard about earlier in the trip...

Good thread,, THANKS for the great memories you guys!!

That was when your buddy realized you were the Master and he was a wee Grasshopper lol

Not so... most Bike spedo's are off by two to three MPH..Your GPS unit is the most accurate to watch.

I put a GPS on my bike and my bike is at least 5 under, depending on how fast I am going. The slower I am going the more accrete the speedo is, the faster the more off it is. I think the most it gets off is 5 mph. Either way I try not to be a speeder, these little towns in S. GA they tell the cops they have to earn their salary, and boy do they. Unless in a hurry I do the speed limit, the one my speedo is doing .

The NC Highway Patrol almost always puts out a notice that they will be watching speeders on the holiday weekends. They have trained us to drive up to 10 mph over the limit without the expectation of a ticket so we'll see what happens. I've driven 8 to 10 over all over the eastern half of the USA during my contract job travels over the last 20 years and never got stopped for it. Knock on Wood!

Yea, your right I guess but not so sure that is always the case on every bike. Might just be though, but watching the speed on the GPS is most always correct no matter what bike you are on was my point. My point was not that you were wrong.

Ride safe...and ride slow...but I guess you do anyway by your site name.. :rotf: :sign just kidding:

Eck the next time we meet I will tell you the story behind my site name.

Yesterday, Linda and I did a ride over into NC that brought us by Marion all the way to Asheville on 70. We also rode by the KOA where our rally will be and we also ate at Okie Dokie BBQ which was very good. When we were coming home and turned up I26 toward TN, there was a bit of traffic and I was in the left lane running about 10 over the 55 mph speed limit. When it finally opened up a little I was able to move over into the right lane and a NC State Trooper when whizzing by. There had been a red car in front of me that was now in front of the Trooper. I gave it a little distance then fell in behind the Trooper and we gradually got up to about 80mph in now what is a 60mph speed limit. The red car stayed in the left lane for several miles and then went to the right lane without giving a signal and turned. The Trooper went a couple more miles and he turned off the interstate. I kept thinking he was going to light up the red car, but it was about 6:30pm and I told Linda he must have been on the way home for supper.

We were in the Miata and at that speed, there is only 1 mph difference with the speedometer and the GPS.

Randy

That was when your buddy realized you were the Master and he was a wee Grasshopper lol

EXACTLY!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon: As my dear friend @StarFan Jonas from Iceland would say:

WE DA MAN!!!!

Looks like it is still there.

http://www.dogpatchrestaurant.com/

:scared::scared:,,,,,,,, THAT'S IT JOE!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:,,, gotta tell you brother,,, if you EVER get up that way you gotta check that joint out - that place was AWESOME way back then - I can only imagine what it is now!! :think:,, probably best to see if we got any VR members who live up that way that could verify that before ya set sail from the suthen states and chase the front wheel in that derection..

:doh: what am saying ya lop eared varmint,,, our house is right on the way up there,,, you folks could make a double dip of the trip and stop here first - I KNOW we have the BEST Hot Dogs anywhere in the country that I would LOVE to introduce you to!!:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::beer::beer::bighug::thumbsup:

Eck the next time we meet I will tell you the story behind my site name.

Or,, if your gonna play that "I'm skeerd and shy" card on us Roller,,, you could PM me your story and I would gladly copy/paste it in the Watering Hole for you brother!!! :thumbsup: I aint skeerd of these varmints,,, I may be a little shy but I sure aint skeerd..:big-grin-emoticon:

Why is it that so many people always try to figure out just how much above the speed limit they can travel without getting a ticket. Fact is anything above the posted speed limit can get you pulled over. If you're not wanting to get a ticket, just follow the limits and you'll be fine. If you want to play that game, just drive however fast you want. Sometimes you win and sometimes you will lose, but stop trashing the officer for doing his job. I heard lots of excuses over the years, but the fact is if you're guilty be man enough to say yes I got caught and pay your fine. And most of all be respectful to the officer. I got as much experience at this as anyone on here. And many times I know I'm running just over the limit but if I get caught, then that is how it goes. :2cents:

:mo money:

EXACTLY!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon: As my dear friend @StarFan Jonas from Iceland would say:

WE DA MAN!!!!

:scared::scared:,,,,,,,, THAT'S IT JOE!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:,,, gotta tell you brother,,, if you EVER get up that way you gotta check that joint out - that place was AWESOME way back then - I can only imagine what it is now!! :think:,, probably best to see if we got any VR members who live up that way that could verify that before ya set sail from the suthen states and chase the front wheel in that derection..

:doh: what am saying ya lop eared varmint,,, our house is right on the way up there,,, you folks could make a double dip of the trip and stop here first - I KNOW we have the BEST Hot Dogs anywhere in the country that I would LOVE to introduce you to!!:guitarist 2::guitarist 2::beer::beer::bighug::thumbsup:

Or,, if your gonna play that "I'm skeerd and shy" card on us Roller,,, you could PM me your story and I would gladly copy/paste it in the Watering Hole for you brother!!! :thumbsup: I aint skeerd of these varmints,,, I may be a little shy but I sure aint skeerd..:big-grin-emoticon:

Puc not skeerd just not a story that should be told to everybody. :no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

To me the radar traps are a waste of time and just a cash grab. Around here we know that when it is election time the radar starts working overtime, they want to fill the coffers. Around here the radar is only out on nice days and on straight stretches of road, in other words under the safest driving conditions. It is often at the bottom of hills where even coasting you wind up exceeding an arbitrary speed limit. I once read a study where they removed the speed limit from a stretch of road. Everyone sped up and accidents went down. This was because the majority were driving in their comfort zone and were all driving the same speed, fast enough to keep attentive and slow enough to be safe. It is cars going either much faster or much slower than the majority that cause the problems and you don't need radar to catch them. I think the money and effort would be better spent on traffic cameras at intersections. That is where the majority of accident happen and the majority of disputes over what happened. When the speed limit is too slow I find myself getting bored and paying less attention. That is more dangerous than being a little over the limit and paying attention. This is of course just my opinion.

Why is it that so many people always try to figure out just how much above the speed limit they can travel without getting a ticket. Fact is anything above the posted speed limit can get you pulled over. If you're not wanting to get a ticket, just follow the limits and you'll be fine. If you want to play that game, just drive however fast you want. Sometimes you win and sometimes you will lose, but stop trashing the officer for doing his job. I heard lots of excuses over the years, but the fact is if you're guilty be man enough to say yes I got caught and pay your fine. And most of all be respectful to the officer. I got as much experience at this as anyone on here. And many times I know I'm running just over the limit but if I get caught, then that is how it goes. :2cents:

:mo money:

I'm with Skid on this. Man up if you want to play. I also like to know how fast I really am going. On the 1st Gen, I have to do some simple math to correct my speedo as it's mechanical. On the 2nd Gen, I can correct using the Speedo healer. So next time I get a few bux ahead, going to get one!