IGNORED

Well I tried the suggestion of using Peanut butter on my plastic

Eck

Used some SKIPPY creamy peanut butter on the rear BLACK plastic on my Avalanche as it was "strongly suggested" here on the site by someone to use peanut butter.

I forgot who suggested it at the moment but I must say (and agree with him) that is definitely does work.

Here are a few pics of during the application and after..

Now I will see how many bears try to come through my garage door after smelling the peanut butter....:stickpoke:

HPIM3703.jpg

HPIM3704.jpg

HPIM3707.jpg

HPIM3708.jpg

HPIM3709.jpg

HPIM3710.jpg

Edited by Eck

I used a dry cloth (never thought to use a damp cloth). After spreading it out somewhat evenly, and rubbing it in, I then used another clean cloth/ hand towel to wipe off the excess and sort of "polished" it.

(it took a little elbow grease I might add....)

I have no idea how long it will last under "mother natures rath", and I even I told my wife earlier, that I bet once I go through a car wash it comes off and I will be back to the same old discolored plastic.

I must say it does look rather fantastic in plain view.. and I now know what I would do if I ever wanted to sell it...:stickpoke:

How about giving me a month or so Don and I can report back to you as to how it actually "held up" under the environments and get back with you so that you don't go through this exercise for nothing like I may have?

I would think that being the peanut butter has vegetable oil in it that regular canola /cooking oil would do the same darn thing without the peanut butter smell. The peanuts cant do much / if anything in my opinion.

I heard that you get better results when you mix it with a little saliva after first applying the PB. Licking with tongue apparently is the preferred method to apply the saliva......

[that's what I 'heard'] ....

[maybe it was during a silly dream...]

You mentioned Jiffy peanut butter but showed Skippy. Would it be any different? How about Nutella? Chunky? Apply with bread? Peanut allergies?

Thanks...Correction has been made to Skippy...Im sure it doesn't matter what type, and I don't think you even need Peanut butter..I think just plain canola cooking oil would do the same trick.

Yea, you go ahead and use that chunky type and tell me how it works..and use day old bread while your at it..:rotf:

Peanut butter is about the only thing that my dishwasher will not take off. If I don't wipe the knife clean before the dishwasher, there is still peanut butter on it.

Randy

It should remove it... Our dishwasher removes it. I eat PB once or twice a month.

Shaking my head as to why you would use peanut butter. I am truly hoping your kidding......but if not.....Turtle Wax Ice wax is great on plastic and rubber. As it wears away it does not go blotchy. I use it on my vehicles twice a year. Once in the spring and a double coat in the fall for winter. Besides Turtle Wax, there are plenty of other products better suited for a project such as this. If you did actually do this.....I think your going to have a rodent and possibly a bug problem with that truck. Even if you cannot smell it, they can.

Shaking my head as to why you would use peanut butter. I am truly hoping your kidding......but if not.....Turtle Wax Ice wax is great on plastic and rubber. As it wears away it does not go blotchy. I use it on my vehicles twice a year. Once in the spring and a double coat in the fall for winter. Besides Turtle Wax, there are plenty of other products better suited for a project such as this. If you did actually do this.....I think your going to have a rodent and possibly a bug problem with that truck. Even if you cannot smell it, they can.

Randy and I are thinking the same thoughts here.. As I mentioned earlier, I have found that peanut butter is the best of the best for use in mice traps - THE STUFF WORKS AWESOMELY.. That said, I have also noticed that even the paper towel that I use to clean up peanut butter from my fingers and tossed in the garbage WILL end up getting chewed to bits if there are any mice around - they LOVE the stuff.. One time I had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch while hunting deer. I forgot to toss out the bag I had wrapped the sandwich in after coming home. My old Dodge Aspen ended up having a mouse problem because of that. The critters ended up building a nest in between the headliner and the roof and it STUNK like mice pee all the way to the point of ending up in a junk yard - NASTY NASTY CRITTERS THEM MICE!!

Back when I had my shop I kept up the luster on my restored bikes by using Lemon Pledge furniture polish on fiberglass and plastics.. That stuff worked awesome for maintaining waxed surfaces..

Well in all honesty, I did use peanut butter as it was "strongly" suggested on the site here: See post # 19 and post #23 (Both posts by Sho Greg)

Then see my post (#26) with the same concerns about the peanut butter smell and animals..

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?51553-make-that-old-plastic-dash-etc-look-new/page2&highlight=peanut+butter

Anyway, I had my doubts about using peanut butter but by golly I did try it and it does clean it up very well. As he said, don't leave it on there. Put it on and polish it off.

I put my nose on it and I can NOT smell peanut butter..and yes, I know animals have a very keen sense of smell, but time will tell I guess. I am very happy with the results (so far).

Would hate to walk out into the garage and see a family of rodents eating away at the plastic though...

@cowpuc, I too use peanut butter on mouse traps and have done so for many years. It is the only thing i would put on a mouse trap to catch one of those critters..

Edited by Eck