IGNORED

looking for advice about buying a mustang covertible

Atoolnut

Thinking about buying for my wife a 2000-2005 mustang convertible v6 auto for our 40th wedding anniversary...Any thoughts or warnings about one of theses. She had a 1986 stang that she loved but was terrible in the winter (was daily driver)..this will be fun car to enjoy when shes not on the bike with me

thanks

My wife has a 2006 with the v6. She really likes it. It was our sons before he moved to China and he ordered it with the Pony package which make it look and handle like GT. It is a lot more nimble in a parking lot than my Transam but they both handle curvy roads well. Of course the 6 doesn't have the power the Transam does but doesn't do bad.

Edited by midnightventure

Neighbor had a late 1999, early 2000 stang convert,, GORGEOUS CAR and REALLY fun to drive.. His had some kind of an issue with either the center head or the intake manifold leaking anti-freeze - sucker would fill the plug holes up with the stuff and then it would miss like crazy.. Been a while (they sold it with less than 60k miles on it) but I am thinking it maybe had a plastic intake manifold and the final fix was replacing the manifold with an aftermarket aluminum one? Not even sure if his was a V-6,, seems like it may have been a small V-8,, I know for sure it wasn't the 5 liter (302) - seems like it was smaller than that:scratchchin:.. I would definitely check around the Stang forums about that issue before I invested in one..

Other than that, what a FUN car!!

In that year range, try to find the 2004 with the 40th anniversary badging. We have had 1 in our family, and daughters friend is on her 2nd Mustang convertible (wrecked the first one). I don't think the tops are as quiet as some cars tops, but they are ok and you will need to turn the heat up when it's really cold out. But from our experiences with the v6 in the Mustangs, is they are alright. Not a lot of power, but sufficient and obviously does not have that nice H pipe sound that the v8 produces.

Personally, I like my 73 bug convertible over the Mustang. Easier for me to get in and out of, and believe or not, a nicer ride. The Mustangs are a little bumpy and your butt is only inches from the pavement.

But, for the Mustang fans, they are pretty good. We never had any real mechanical issues other than a couple of noisy power steering pumps.

The earlier 3.8L V6s were prone to blowing head gaskets if they overheated at all. But, I think that issue was fixed on the 2000 and newer V6s. I'm not sure exactly when it was fixed. I bought my oldest son a 95 V6 and it blew a head gasket. I think the thermostat stuck closed. Later on I bought second son a used 2000 V6 and didn't have any problems with it. As soon as I bought it, I installed a fail safe thermostat in the cooling system.

Best advice I can give you if you want to buy a convertible is .... make sure it's not a hard top :Bunny2:

I have a Mercedes SLK hardtop convertible.Just a push of a button and the top folds into the trunk.Never leaked no wind noise with the top up.I have the four cylinder supercharged 2.3L.Great gas mileage and plenty of power.If I ever get another convertible it will definately be a hardtop.

We had a 2011 v-6 convertible. Great gas mileage and plenty of power but then we weren't driving like we're racing everybody either. No issues with that car while we had it. Some of the members probably remember the wife driving it to MD and to the Arkansas international rally.

We also had a hard top 2013 Miata. Drove that car to a couple rallies as well. Loved both cars. Each had advantages and disadvantages thou nothing major.

We didn't drive either one during winter months once the first snow and salt hit the roads and parked em till spring rains washed the crap away so can say much about winter driving them.

Larry

I have a Mercedes SLK hardtop convertible.Just a push of a button and the top folds into the trunk.Never leaked no wind noise with the top up.I have the four cylinder supercharged 2.3L.Great gas mileage and plenty of power.If I ever get another convertible it will definately be a hardtop.

Agreed; however, he wants a Mustang and they don't come with a convertible hardtop so I was being facetious.

The 4.6 v-8 motors had issues with the "composite" (ie plastic) intakes warping and coolant leak. WE had a town car in the shop a weak or so ago had same thing going on. Leaks and fills intake galley of motor. Not to bad to fix if you can do the work, manifold runs about $250 from Advance. The Ford v-8 with the long long plugs are pretty bad about twisting off in half when you do a tune up. But thats like once every 100k. Look over on a site called http://www.stangnet.com I had a 90 Fox body stick convertible car. Lots of fun. For fuel mileage difference I think I would just pony up (lol) and go v-8 Personally I like the 02 up body of the ones your looking into. Also the range of years you are looking at have issues with the brake calipers locking up when they sit for periods of time. WE have a instructional car at the school I work at the brakes lock up on it due to sitting. Also my brother in law had an 04 I think and his would sit for long periods, he put 2.5 sets of calipers on it before he sold it.

$_35-1.JPGthanks to all replies..looked at more this past week and bought an 03 with 156000 kms...blue with tan leather loaded.safetied..new brakes tires tie rods bushings etc..nice clean car...hope my wife will be happy Edited by Atoolnut

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102967[/ATTACH]thanks to all replies..looked at more this past week and bought an 03 with 156000 kms...blue with tan leather loaded.safetied..new brakes tires tie rods bushings etc..nice clean car...hope my wife will be happy

It's a beauty!