IGNORED

Am I a Jerk?

Patmac6075

Was going to use a different word, but since I wanted to keep it PG-13...

Am I a Jerk, because I don't wave?

Let me be clear, I'm not not waving because I think I'm cooler than anyone else or better then them or trying to be snooty....I'm also not going to get all sanctimonious and blame my decision not to wave on some ridiculous "safety" issue....I just don't pay that much attention to bikes in oncoming traffic (I mean, beyond my normal sweeping for potential danger). OK, if I'm on a clear straightaway...and the other biker drops his hand a half mile out in front of me and leaves it there....he'll elicit a wave from me...but truly, I'd be just as happy just give a smile and nod.

So I ask you.....Am I a Jerk?

By the way, I've got 30 years of sales experience....my customers (mostly) like me....my co-works seem to think I'm a friendly person....I'm pretty sure my family and friends think I'm a nice enough guy....so why do I feel like a jerk for not waving when I ride my motorcycles? I don't wave at anybody while I'm in my car all day?!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Waving is a personal choice, I see many bikers that do not wave. If my left hand is not busy I usually wave, but that is just me, many, maybe even most, do not wave back. I really don't care if they do or not.

There are some riders that are deeply offended if you do not wave, there are other riders that are deeply offended if you do wave and are not on the same brand bike they are on. Then there is everyone else in between the extremes.

So to answer your question, No it does not make you a jerk, it just makes you one of the many that does not care to wave.

I dont think so. SOmetimes I do, sometimes I dont. I can tell you in the fall in high concentrated motorcycle areas sometimes you just cant do it or your tuckered out from it. LOL My favorite is when the cruise is connected and I come across some of the other brands of touring bikes, I like to give them a wave up high with the right hand. Does that make me bad? LOL

If you have to put that much thought into it...... :)

And I thought only the Harley riders didn't like to wave at Yamaha riders.

You know it's all about personal choice so don't sweat it.

239165290_ApeWaving2_answer_1_xlarge.gif

My son was 9, maybe 10 years old on his first cross country trip.. It was Sturgis Rally time and we were riding our first 1st Gen (named Beeg) headed that way on our way CTFW westward.. He learned quickly the "correct" two finger down wave from watching other bikers and reminded me several times of the "proper wave" as I always had a bad habit of just waving.. The closer we got to the Rally, the more bikes we encountered and, bless his heart - the less response he got from the Harley crowd.. While camping on the backside of the Badlands National Park (AWESOME and DEAD QUIET) he asked me about the non-waving Harley guys (his words).. I told him that those folks had a "club of sorts" that required the purchase of a Harley Davidson as membership dues and that, even though we might not like it - there are many things in life like that that draw folks together that you have to pay an entrance fee for..

The next day, P-Dog (son), Beeg and I were getting close to Sturgis and we came upon a fellow biker with his Harley setting on the side of the road and he was walking in the opposite direction that his bike was pointing.. Of course, we came to a stop and I asked the guy if he needed help. He said his air cleaner had fallen and he was looking for parts. I offered our assistance but he said several of his friends were also looking but he greatly appreciated the offer.. We got a few miles down the road and my son inquired about the reason I would stop and help someone from a "club" that we didnt belong to.. I then explained to him the difference between being part of a "club" and living by a "code"..

Personally Pat, I dont see you as a non-waving person riding a motorcycle as a jerk at all.. I happen to wave a LOT at all bikes, even mopeders cause I enjoy seeing people out sharing a like minded passion that I happen to have and I dont think I am a jerk either. My wife and I also really enjoy smilely little kids and old people,, we wave at them too,, and have boughten a fair amount of lemonade at lemonade stands and even candy bars at gas stations for the kids.. I never feel like a jerk for that either..

On the other hand,, if you would have come on here and stated that you never stop to help a fellow biker = a code violation,, then ya,, I would say you are probably a jerk :hurts:

Personally as a new rider I make an effort to wave at those on two wheels (not scooters, 3 wheelers, etc,,) but there are times when a nod or other sign of acknowledgement is used. I try to keep it up as on days when I come across those who do not return the wave I wonder if they think they are too good or who really cannot ride well enough to take a hand off the handlebars. In my experience I have come across those who wave high, some wave low, and have noted some just raise fingers or nod. There is no written or unwritten rules so I would not trouble yourself with worrying about it. I understand your thought process as at times I have thought the same way and I suppose there never will be a correct response but for me as an individual who is trying to fully submerse himself in this culture I try to experience it all from gremlin bells to the hand wave. Remember it's not as if you are giving others the one finger salute, just ride the way you are most comfortable you are not obligated to anyone else but yourself.

I find that most Miata drivers will wave or nod to each other, especially if they have the top down. Yes, I also feel it is an expression of camaraderie.

I might show a little more concern if I had passed someone that acknowledged me earlier and then were in need. But maybe not so much if it was obvious that they saw me wave and just ignored me.

Randy.

I usually waive to all when my left hand is not busy. If its busy i will nod. I do get a kick out of the few HD riders who try to take their wave back once they figure out that Big Red is not a HD. Also enjoy the look of young kids on scooters when I give them a wave and a thumbs-up...:Laugh:

Hell, I even wave to guys on scooters if they want. Gave the hand to a guy on a scooter just today. Maybe the guy wants a "real bike" but can't afford one. Or the guy on the trike may just not be able to get it up anymore, or perhaps he's physically disabled. No sense leaving them out because of their condition or financial standing.

To me its about acknowledgement of common ground. Something different than everyone else on the road. Being on two wheels, out in the environment, the vulnerability, Reducing traffic, saving fuel, whatever you want to look at it as.

That being said, if a guy doesn't return the "wave/nod/sign" (as long as it is safe to do so), I just say a quiet explicative to myself about him and move on. If he doesn't want that part of the experience then so be it. Got better things to do with my time.

:)

*Edit*

Actually, now that I think of it, there is one group I've stopped even trying with: Spyder riders.

I've yet to run across one who even looks across the lane, let alone wave. I guess they don't consider themselves riders....or maybe they think "something else" about themselves. Dunno. Don't care.

All I know is I don't even bother to try with those road going snowmobiles anymore.

Edited by Great White

I wave to everybody. No matter if it's a bike or a 3 wheeler, irregardless of whether the two wheels are on the front or back. Like Puc said, I wave at kids and old folks, and people on mowers and tractors, and the Amish in buggys...and so on and so on. If I notice (peripheral vision) that a biker waved at me and I missed it, I turn around and chase him down and wave...easier to do with Harleys than First Gens....lol....(kidding)

I remember a few years back my buddies and I were riding up to the cabin, (350 mile ride...400 taking backroads)...it was a beautiful day, lotsa bikes on the road...lotsa wavers....and we all started extending our left leg instead of waving, ....all 5 of us...it was pretty funny as a lot of the wavers were doing double takes with 5 guys with their left leg out goin' down the road.

I think waving promotes the camaraderie that was mentioned. If I wave and you don't wave back, I really don't think too much of it, and wouldn't say that makes the other guy a jerk, but I can't help getting the vibe that they either didn't see me, or that they're probably not a very nice person, but I pass it off and keep rolling.

I guess if I had my druthers, the whole waving thing would go away, 'cause it gets to be a pain sometimes, but as long as they're doing it, so will I. Courtesy is the lubricant that helps the gears of society move smoothly.:2cents: :biker:

I wave if I have time. I wave and really do not care if the other does not. I wave at cops when they pass by, I even wave at the people working on the road if they are looking in my direction. Heck I wave at everyone cause I am happy to be able to do the thing I love to do. RIDE.

Personally as a new rider I make an effort to wave at those on two wheels (not scooters, 3 wheelers, etc,,)

So my 50+ years on two wheels is negated by my need to move to 3 wheels, and I therefore no longer meet your definition as a rider? Just make sure you don't accept any help from any of us who are not worthy of your approval. :puzzled:

Wave or don't wave. It makes no differance. But to exclude someone because they don't ride like you IS being a jerk. :moon:

Me? I wave at everyone. Kids, Harleys, Spiders, Sportbikes, Cops, etc. Most wave, some don't.

I'm a waver. I have always felt that other riders and I share something. (And that goes for the mopeds, and 3 wheelers, and even the Harley-Davidson's.:innocent:) A common risk /common reward thing. We choose to be out there amongst the masses that run each other off the road every day. We are all at the same disadvantage. Yet we still ride. Love to ride.

Whether they wave back or not is immaterial. I am waving for me. And if I come by a 1st Gen, they get a wave and that Gladiator bump my chest with my fist thing.