IGNORED

Passing Lamp Spacer Update

So what are you guys doing about the lower air deflectors? I know that if the rubber stop is not up against the forks, they will reverberate and break the brackets.

I know its only a matter of time. But I've ridden about 19,000 with a spacer and my deflectors seem to be fine.

I agree with Maineyak about the deflectors just haven't done anything with them.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just placed my order. Looking forward to receiving. Been doing wokr on my bike over the winter and have had to remove the light bar too many times. Maybe if I planned better, I could have gotten all done at once, but that would be too logical.

RR

I just installed my spacer and I also had a couple of S.S. plates made so I could put the air deflectors back close to where they were. Not sure how clear the pic will be.

Keith

Keith I was thinking of doing the same. Great idea. Since I have some stainless steel here on hand that's what I'd use too.

Larry

Guest MANIC MECHANIC
Added A Spacer Last Year To My Scoot. To Stabilize The Deflector I Added A Piece Of Gas Line Which Fit Over The Rubber Bumper And Rtv It In Place So It Contacts The Fork Tube. This Took The Vibration Out Of The Air Deflector. I Have About 15k On Bike Since Then And No Problems.

Yes, I remember messing with that down at the shop. How's the old contraption holding up for you Bud?

BMW...are you going to Ft. Collins and if so are you going to be bringing any spacer with you. You could sell some there.

As of right now I have nothing planned. But if it wasn't for the last minute I'd get nothing done. If I do make the trip I'll be sure to bring a few with.

Thanks for asking.

:cool10:

Bill W. I bought one from you and it certainly does the trick at bringing the passing lights out away from the fairing in order to get the firing off of my 2006 RSMV. You have done a service for us all and I highly recommend to anyone that are thinking about buying one from you to do it. Thank you!!!!

Jerry Cochran

I been think about using one of these but I have a tool bag on my front forks and it hangs on the passing light bar. How much closer to the front fender does the bar get. Dont want the bag bouncing off my fender.

Hey Tartan Terror,

FYI the spacer brings the light out about 1-3/8" and down about 3/4". You can see it in the classifieds.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Bill: Great service to deliver the spacer to me so quick.I received the spacer on Thursday and put it on yesterday. It was an easy install and I can tell already that splitting the fairing to wire my GPS will be a snap now.It is well made and I would recommend this to everyone with the driving lights.:cool10: John

• 1 month later...

Just go to the hardware store and pick up 2 long plastic

screws and 4 plastic bolts -remove the rubber bumper

replace with plastic screw and adjust the screw with the

plastic bolts on each side of the reflector and bottom them

the the stopping point. this will stop the bending. and or breaking :happy34:

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed my spacer, and it fits perfectly! Thanks Bill!!!

I cut a couple of pieces of fuel hose and slid them over the mounting screws on the deflector to stabilize it. It works very well and is easy and cheap. It also looks like it was made that way!!

So what are you guys doing about the lower air deflectors? I know that if the rubber stop is not up against the forks, they will reverberate and break the brackets.

Rubber stops..???? You're luck you had them. my bike didn't come with any stops. I had to install them myself after reading about it on here.

Actually I ended up buying the Diamond R chrome ones... they look REAL COOL.

• 1 month later...

Do you know if that spacer will work on a Royal Star 97 too?

Since I put the passing lamps bar, I cannot put back the central piece that covers the bar. Also the bar is so close to the headlight case that doesn't look fine.

So, I need something that lower at least 1/2" the bar.

Hi there Don!

I used the Canadian-made Dayton light bar spacer and did a simple trick to provide an almost-contact vibration cushion that rides about 2 mil from the chromed fork leg, ensuring no stress pressure-vibration breakage of the Yamaha RSV clear plastic-chrome diffusor metal mounting bracket.

Using what I had on hand, I used brass wood screws (1-1/2") into a clear plastic tube section (about 1-3/4") and filled the screw and tube area with some big drops of SEAL-ALL (motorcyclists travel kit glue) to lock all items for stiffness. I placed a matching length section of "black plastic shrink wrap" and after the glue was dried (12 hours) applied hair dryer/heat gun heat to shrink the assembly tighter. Now the black vibration offsetting tube does a great job and I have no shock absorber

contact except when doing the highway speeds, thus no breakage of the factory stamped steel and chrome trim bracket. Cost about $1 each I guess. It works and looks great./Bilko

I also bought BMW's spacer and it worked great.I used a long handled ball

Allen wrench to remove the two Allen head bolts.

I also used 2 1/4X20X2 inch bolts with locking nuts and rubber tips on the end of bolt to act as stops against the forks.

The stops are about 1/8 inch away from the forks and it stabilizes the wind deflectors.

Sorry no pics my camera is in Mn...........................Ron

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Tony,

I've found your post on this forum

I 'd like to purchase a* Passing Light Spacer for my 2nd Gen Royal Star Venture as I am going to buy V-Star halogen passing lamps with the Venture passing lamp mounts .

Please let me know if you're still making it or not and how could I pay for this item.

Please note that I live in Australia (NSW), in case if it will affect the shipment rates.

Thanks a lot,

Kirill Zorin

this is an ancient thread , so I doubt anyone will reply as it looks like the member that was making the spacers is no longer making them.

I am wondering if anyone else has considered making them or if anyone has a spare kicking around, as it looks like ill be moving into the world of the G2 bikes.

Thanks

Brian

If someone measures up the spacers I would think they are easy to make if you wanted to. I thought about it the other day just using a piece of alum tubing, but it would have required another trip to the hardware store and I was close to getting job done in faring so I decided to just use the standard spacers. Only problem I saw was if you make the spacer about an inch long you cant get the allen bolt into the light bracket and spacer between the faring. MAybe would have to use an button head allen.