IGNORED

Yamaha Factory Rep...

midnightrider1300

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water cooled or air cooled, the same amount of heat is coming off the engine and if it isn't diverted away from the rider, heat will be a comfort issue. The engine will run cooler but not the passenger. Police depts. buying air cooled Harleys to tool around the cities is ridiculous. Gotta keep-em moving to cool them. Then there is that story in the news in Miami when I was there of a city motorcycle cop trying to catch a couple of sport bikes on his Harley and of course crashed the Harley and hurt himself. Idiocy!

All Btu's are not the same. Water cooling is more efficient and produces a cooler running bike with fewer internal hotspots. Also, water cooling lets you run a higher compression ratio without resorting to the premium swill (alcohol induced). At a standstill you would bake from the heat from my GS1100E from 5 feet away when it was 70 outside. On this RSV, while sitting atop of it in DFW last week when it was 87 I didn't notice a thing.

I've gone back and forth between water cooled and air-cooled bikes. It usually worked out like this: Air cooled = Used, cheap, older, chain drive, sometime real fast. Water Cooled= New or newer, not so cheap, usually shaft unless chain drive sport bike, usually VERY fast (except for the RSV where comfort is king)

I still can't believe that folks actually spend $27,000 (and more) for an AIR COOLED bike.

:innocent:

The enormous expense of engineering and tooling for the V-Max engine is already done. To make it a great touring engine would not make it that much more costly. Yamaha already has this in place and this would give them an opportunity to step up with the big boys in a spectacular way. There are a lot of Goldwing guys that would like a better option (to them) than a Goldwing that has four or more cylinders, truly water cooled and has plenty of low end grunt. The re-tuned V-Max engine for that purpose would be great.

Randy

I'll have to admit, I didn't know what a Venture was until less than a year ago....:8:

But when my wife and I rode to St. Ignance late last summer/early fall on my 650 maxim, I was really looking at other bikes due to my growing desire to upgrade to something bigger after 3 years. I was always thinking a used Goldwing would be nice, had no real interest in Harley for some reason and didn't even know what big bikes Yamaha had offered. So I was at a gas station near Cross Village, and another couple was fueling up next to me on an AWESOME looking bike which was an Ultra Classic. I was in love the style and warmed up to HD a little more. When we got home I began regularly browsing CL and came across a listing for BEAUTIFUL AWESOME WONDERFUL blue touring bike with a matching trailer, and the writer of the ad claimed it to be a Yamaha "Royal Star Venture". DING DING DING DING! It was L.A.F.S. for me, too! I was already a Yamaha fan, and the more I read and researched about RSV, the more I wanted one. After a month of watching/waiting, my 99 came up on CL, at an asking price I could handle, and so here I am!

pbjman have you sold your XJ650 yet?? I still have my XJ750. Going to ride it until I have finished tweeking my Venture.

Someone wrote something about it maybe being a new model that they bolted on a bunch of extra left over parts to disguise it David.. Its ugly enough like it is that I think with a few stickers and a set of Horns on it and I would ride it!!!!!!!!! I would even ride to Sturgis and park it on main street by all those great big beautiful new Harley, Indians and Victory models... What the heck my good buddie,,,, I would even dig around and find some Yamaha name badges, put em on it and tell every one that Yamaha FINALLY came out with a new model for us!! :stickpoke::witch_brew::rotfl:

I disagree.

IF it has a V-twin it should NOT be called a Venture, especially if it is push rods and/or air cooled and/or something other than shaft drive.

I agree with you Flyin, I think a push rod motor just can't turn the RPMs an OH©V (over head (cam) valve) engine can or produce the amount of torque. our OHC engine does. I got a 1999 1600 Road Star; nice bike if you're a V-Twin person; I am not. The way the bike vibrates it make my nose itch! A "Venture" (IMHO) should be built on the original theme; a crotch rocket for those that don't like crotch rockets. I really like the original concept, storage for travel, heck I can put 2 maybe 3 cases of (in 6 packs or loose bottles) 12oz. containers in my bike. I can stop and get most auto parts, some groceries, etc. I'm sure that's still true with the newer versions but they look like Harleys, drive like Harleys, sound like Harleys, and handle (ewww) like one too. I don't think push rod motors are less expensive to make either; maybe I donno. I do know I like the 83 to 93 ventures, the look is timeless, it has comfort and conveniences not found on many bikes in it's class until you get to the big Hondas. I would consider a Gold Wing if I could find one that was affordable but by the time they are they got too many miles on them and/or don't have the features (working) that I want. Now I use my smart phone for GPS, music (pandora), and comms. with the better half until I put a blue tooth marine grade receiver in the left side of the fairing. My knowledge of bikes is limited to The Ventures and my Road Star. if I stepped on any one's toes or displayed a certain ignorance of what's been and IS out there so far as cruiser/touring bikes go and M/Cs in general it's my own ignorance showing. I just know what I like.

Edited by dna9656

I agree with you Flyin, I think a push rod motor just can't turn the RPMs

I don't think push rod motors are less expensive to make either; maybe I donno. .

Pushrod engines are more challenging to make them turn high rpm. However Nascar engines are pushrod engines and they turn 9,000 rpm, probably about $100k a copy.

V-Twins typically have 2 valves per cylinder with only one cam (I think). V4s have 2 more cylinders, 12 more valves, and 3 more camshafts. So, yes they are much more expensive to manufacture.

here's the specs on the yamaha v twin 1900 used in the raider.....

Engine Type

113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder (1854cc / 113” 48 degree v-twin) 90hp & 124ft lbs torque

Bore x Stroke

100.0 x 118.0mm

Compression Ratio

9.5:1

Fuel Delivery

Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection; throttle position sensor

Ignition

TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition

Transmission

5-speed, multiplate wet clutch

All they need is a 6 speed tranny....

Edited by midnightrider1300

here's a little more

Engine Type

113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled V-twin OHV, 4 valves/cylinder

79-cubic-inch (1294cc) liquid-cooled 70° V-four; DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder

Bore x Stroke

100.0 x 118.0mm

79mm x 66mm

Compression Ratio

9.5:1

10.0:1

Fuel Delivery

Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection; throttle position sensor

4) 32mm Mikuni® CV carburetors

Ignition

Transmission

5-speed, multiplate wet clutch

5-speed, wide-ratio w/5th-gear overdrive; hydraulic clutch

Raider does NOT shake.... very smooth....6 speed should get better MPG.....buddies have a HD & Victory they both get over 50 mpg (so they say) .... The only time you would notice air cooled vs water cooled would be stop n go traffic...

I hope IF they do make another venture it will have MORE HP!!!! now don't get me wrong I love the V4 ... BUT as it is now it's under powered imho..

Edited by midnightrider1300

Raider does NOT shake.... very smooth....6 speed should get better MPG.....buddies have a HD & Victory they both get over 50 mpg (so they say) .... The only time you would notice air cooled vs water cooled would be stop n go traffic...

I hope IF they do make another venture it will have MORE HP!!!! now don't get me wrong I love the V4 ... BUT as it is now it's under powered imho..

I agree with the MPG of the Harleys. When I started taking week long trips with my buddies, I was riding a Kawasaki Concours sport tourer. Myself and our Beemer 1200RT friend used to laugh at the guys on their older Harleys every time they would fill up twice to our one fill up. We were both getting over 50mpg. Then 2 of them bought newer (2010 and up) Harleys with FI. One of them averaged right at 52 MPG the entire week long trip. Pretty damn good I thought.

I don't think the Venture is under powered. I think it does great at what it is for. I will say though I wish it was lighter and not as top heavy. Now I am a big guy and have no issues handling my previous 99 Venture or my current RSTD. But after tooling around on my father in law's Vstar 1300, I will say I might be in the market for something lighter with a lower center of gravity. Now I realize the Vstar is 200 or so pounds lighter and only a 1300 Vtwin, but it was so nimble compared to my RSTD. And power wise it will blow my RSTD away at any speed. Plus it has FI!!!!!!!!! With that said, the Vstar 1300 is a tad small for me because I am 6'4" and 312 pounds (bring on the fat jokes while you have a chance as I am losing towards a goal of 250!!!). But if a new Venture came out with a FI 1900 Vtwin, I think I might be a player since teh weight would likely be distributed lower making it at least feel like it handles better.

If I recall correctly, that Strat motor (1900cc) is indeed a balanced motor and for really good necessary reason. Like a Harley big twin, Yamaha stayed with a single pin crank and really pushed the envelope to get as close to HD specs on the engine configuration - HD's have been 45 degree V-Twin motors for years, Yamaha came in with 48 degree's on the Strat motor.. That single crank pin design and 45 degree "V" sets up the firing position of the piston's on the rotation of the crank in an imbalanced way and this is what gives a Harley it's wonderful exhaust note and, I think Yamaha purposely pushed as close to the edge of a copying Harley as they could to get the sound and to sell bikes..

Ironically, Harley has a "B" motor (balanced with balance shaft) that they use in a few of their bikes too. Many Harley riders stay away from these motors because the balance shafts rob power and make the bikes not feel right because they dont shake, thats right - there are many many people who actually LIKE the shake!!