IGNORED

Purolator Oil Filters - 14610 & 14612

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a Bosch 3300 a few weeks ago and finally got around to installing it today. Same problem; as soon as the gasket was starting to make contact, the filter came to a hard stop and would go no more. Here's a pic of the yamaha filter I took off next to the Bosch. The oil filter bolt on my bike is all the way in; it just sticks out too far for this filter that is not concave. I guess I'll be looking for something with a concave surface tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98652[/ATTACH]

May I suggest that you try a Purolator PL14612 (yellow-short) filter as this is what folks have been using forever. If you would like to try something completely different, see here.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?101114-Purolator-PL14459-Oil-Filter

I just finished installing the PL14610 (long yellow) with no problem. I purchased it at Advance Auto today. Their book specifies the ML number referenced a couple of posts back but that has been previously discussed in another thread as poor quality.

Even though I have always used the PL14610 I did purchase the PL14612 based on the discussion in this thread. I will return it tomorrow.

I'm not sure why I have always used the longer filter other than maybe it has more filtering capacity?? It is a little long put a simple tilt of it as I put it up into position does the trick.

This is amazing as you have a 2012 RSV and I have a 2012 RSV, yet I can't get the PL14610 to fit without removing the regulator. Hmmmmmm.

:confused07:

Also, the 3FV series Yamaha filter is the paper disk filter. Is that the original filter or have you bought a few from the dealer?

Well here was how I came about the 7313. First off NONE of the filter guys will tell you that it is ok to use a car filter on a bike. See the response above from Purolator.

I am in the store and know the 14610 and 14612 fit in the past, so gasket and threads are good to go, rite? So next step is to find the cross refference in the boox to other filters they carry. Did you know that the books they put in WalMart in auto section no longer have filter cross reference in the back? Then remembered someone posting that he has used same filter on his Mitsubshi or something. so went to those sections. Ahh found it. In the listing it shoed this Fram filter, and it was dipped at thread area. I compaired it to the MCspecific filter and threads etc were same. Filter a tad longer like the 610.

Well here was how I came about the 7313. First off NONE of the filter guys will tell you that it is ok to use a car filter on a bike. See the response above from Purolator.

I am in the store and know the 14610 and 14612 fit in the past, so gasket and threads are good to go, rite? So next step is to find the cross refference in the boox to other filters they carry. Did you know that the books they put in WalMart in auto section no longer have filter cross reference in the back? Then remembered someone posting that he has used same filter on his Mitsubshi or something. so went to those sections. Ahh found it. In the listing it shoed this Fram filter, and it was dipped at thread area. I compaired it to the MCspecific filter and threads etc were same. Filter a tad longer like the 610.

Okey dokey.

Went to the local independent shop, got a Napa Gold 1358 filter. Shaped more like the Yamaha filter in my pic a few posts up. It went on normally, I went about a 1/4 turn past where it made firm gasket contact, no leaks before or after test ride.

This is amazing as you have a 2012 RSV and I have a 2012 RSV, yet I can't get the PL14610 to fit without removing the regulator. Hmmmmmm.

Also, the 3FV series Yamaha filter is the paper disk filter. Is that the original filter or have you bought a few from the dealer?

the filter I took off was Yamaha 5GH-13440-30. I don't normally use them but this was given to me with a jug of oil from the dealer. He gave me a free oil change as a customer satisfaction reward. Since I do my own work he gave me the materials.

I just finished installing the PL14610 (long yellow) with no problem. I purchased it at Advance Auto today. Their book specifies the ML number referenced a couple of posts back but that has been previously discussed in another thread as poor quality.

Even though I have always used the PL14610 I did purchase the PL14612 based on the discussion in this thread. I will return it tomorrow.

I'm not sure why I have always used the longer filter other than maybe it has more filtering capacity?? It is a little long put a simple tilt of it as I put it up into position does the trick.

I've been using the PL14610 for about 100k now and I've never had a problem putting it on. Just changed the oil and filter yesterday with no problem...:confused07:

As has been mentioned. I think they changed the design. So until stocks have been depleted, it is possible to get the "old" type top longer filter. And if it is the non-dipped top and you got it on and no leaks. your a luckier guy than me.

• 1 year later...

I just changed my oil and noticed a leak... So is this still an issue and if so what brand do we know that works? I need to replace it asap before I can ride again. How much oil am I going to lose changing it?

Drain it all out and check the filter. You may have 2 o-ring gaskets on there. If not you'll probably have to find the correct filter. A K&N 303 I think will work. Purolator changed the design to their 14610 and 14612 filters so now they won't pull up to compress the gasket. If you try to ride it like that you may pump all your oil out down the road somewhere, not to mention getting oil all over your back tire! That could turn into a bad situation real quick!!!!

Edited by Kirby

I just changed my oil and noticed a leak... So is this still an issue and if so what brand do we know that works? I need to replace it asap before I can ride again. How much oil am I going to lose changing it?

You will lose about 8oz changing the filter. New filter I am using is shown below.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?101114-Purolator-PL14459-Oil-Filter

You can pull the filter and lose only the oil that is in the filter, very little will drain out when you pull the filter, I was in the habit of changing the filter on my Venture about every 3,000 miles when I was running synthetic oil and changing the oil every 6000 miles, I would change the filter about half thru the interval.

Not really, they are just pricey when there are many many car filters that fit perfectly and work just as god, if not better than the Yamaha filter that costs 2 or 3 times as much...

I usually buy Bosch that are longer than the Yammy filters for around four bucks or less. What do you pay for your filters??

Here's a link to some equivalent oil filters. Word of caution, there may or may not be changes in the manufacture of certain filters, such as the Purolator, this is an older list...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?1849-Oil-Filter-Cross-Reference

There are several others not listed on this list that I have in my notes, but that info may have come from Venturers, or another older thread...

I kind of gave up chasing and just get the K&N (KN-303).

No argument that it will do fine and is now more available in the last year or so. (Amazon, Advance, Auto Zone. Not yet at my Walmart)

And,,, as I used today,,, has a 17mm nut. Same size as our oil plug.