IGNORED

Purolator PL14459 Oil Filter

Hey Rocky... Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

OK, to confuse the oil filter issue even further, I intend to use a Purolator PL14459 on my next oil change.

The PL14459 is the same height as the PL14612

14459-14612.jpg

The PL14459 is fatter than the PL14612 and we all have plenty of room in the horizontal & vertical directions, just not the longitude.

14612-14459top.jpg

The PL14459 gasket ID & OD diameter is the same as the PL14612.

14612-14459gasket.jpg

The PL14459 gasket to 1st thread depth @ 0.300" is the same as a PL14612

14612-14459threaddepth.jpg

The PL14459 has a Pressure Differential Valve setting of 12-15 psi compared to the PL14612 setting of 14-18

PurolatorPL14459_specs.jpg

PurolatorPL14612_specs.jpg

And these specs conform nicely to the Yamaha Factory Requirements.

YamahaOilFilterSpecs.jpg

does it hold more oil? If not, what would the benefit be to use this filter (or did I miss something?)

Yes, in fact since its diameter is more than 1/2 inch greater than the PL14612 or the PL14610 it will hold A LOT more oil. More than even the PL14610 (long filter). Remember that it is > 1/2" wider for its entire height. Its circumference = diameter X Pi - or.... yes buckets full of oil. Plus since it is wider it is easier on the hands to get on and off.

So what is the Pressure Differential Valve setting of the white L14612 compared to the PL14459 ?

That is what you are talking about, right?

And, why do I care about that?

The white filter is shown below and this documentation is available from the Purolator website. The Pressure Differential Valve opens at (X) pressure on a filter when the filter element is clogged and can then flow no more oil through the element, or, your oil is so thick that the oil cannot properly flow through the element such as after a cold start, or, you have just gone from idle to full-wheelie mode from 1000rpm instantaneously to 5000 rpm and the oil on one side of the element has not yet reached equilibrium pressure with oil on the other side of the element. In these cases, the Pressure Differential Valve OPENS and keeps your engine from losing oil pressure or flow rate.

You really never -*want*- the Pressure Differential Valve to open as it flows unfiltered oil to your engine and this is done as a last attempt to keep oil going to your engine and NOT being blocked by the oil filter. As soon as the pressure on one side of the filter comes to within (X) of the other side of the filter the Pressure Differential Valves closes and oil is then passed only through the filtering medium to your engine. Yamaha has a spec for this as shown in the post above. The PL14612/L14612 are on the high end of this spec. The PL14459 is in the medium area of this spec. The neat thing about all three of the Purolator Filters (or 6 if you count the white ones) is they all have a much higher flow rate than the factory Yamaha 5GH-13440-30

PurolatorL14612specs.jpg

So this is the short filter right? I dont know if it would actually have more filter capacity or not.

PL14459= Short FAT filter. Yup, holds more oil than the PL14612 at least as much as PL14610, and acres more than a PH6017A

Edited by Du-Rron

• 4 weeks later...

Ok boys and girls here's what I ran into today.

The filter on the right is the one I just took off the bike. The one on the left is a new one purchased today from Wally World. The one on the left will not fit my bike. The top(center that has the threads in it) is flat to a slight convex shape, whereas the old one has a concave shape to it. This is the same filter I've been using for a long time. The manufacturer has changed the stamping process some way so be warned!!!! It won't fit my bike ("09 RSV) so I'll be opening boxes from here on out when purchasing a new filter.

IMG_20150503_170452_494.jpg

YUP big ole thread here somewhere we were discussin that. Trying to remember what manufacture I crossed the long Purolator to, but opened the box and it had the right innards. Probably the Mobil 1 or Bosch

Ok boys and girls here's what I ran into today.

The filter on the right is the one I just took off the bike. The one on the left is a new one purchased today from Wally World. The one on the left will not fit my bike. The top(center that has the threads in it) is flat to a slight convex shape, whereas the old one has a concave shape to it. This is the same filter I've been using for a long time. The manufacturer has changed the stamping process some way so be warned!!!! It won't fit my bike ("09 RSV) so I'll be opening boxes from here on out when purchasing a new filter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99083[/ATTACH]

This issue reared its' ugly head back on 4-5-15

see here

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?100874-Purolator-Oil-Filters-14610-amp-14612

and at the time I believed that Purolator would not -just up and change- a filter design willy nilly. But, it seems they have.

I am running the PL 14459 because it has some of the attributes mentioned above that I like. Course, like you, I'll be opening the box at the store to make sure the dimensions have not changed before I buy the filter.

I wonder what would happen if that pic was sent to Purolator with a nice letter explaining the problem.

Maybe they don't know they have created a problem.

You would have to tell them that it no longer fits on your "Isuzu Rattlearound" instead of your motorcycle for them to care. Otherwise they will write you a nasty gram that says 14612/14610 were not designed to fit your bike in the first place.

• 2 months later...
Wish I would have read this earlier......bought 4 so I'd have them ran into the same problem.......solution?

Depends on where you got them. If you got them at parts house and have reciept, take them back. Last I checked the mobil 1 filter still is made correct for ou4 bikes. A few bucks more but good filter.

This past spring I bought a purolator, pure one, PL14612 and it was concave, and installed it with no issues.

2005 RSTD

Yesterday I went to buy another one, first at Walmart, not the pure one though, and it was convex, then went to Farm and Fleet and the pure one also was convex, so went to an auto store and the pure one was concave, so I bought it. Got back home and went to the local auto store to get another one, and it was convex. I explained what was going on to the guy and he asked why I didn't just buy the motorcycle oil filter.

Purolator Powersports, ML 16817 is the one listed for our bikes, and it is concave, so I bought two, and it says on the box Anti-drain back valve minimizes engine dry start.

The regular purolator filters are white, pure one, yellow, and the MC are black. (for what it is worth)

Thanks for the great concave/convex pictures. They tell it all.

Some of us like the 14610 filter because it is 3.52" long as opposed to the one you mention 2.95. More filter area. I just checked advance and they dont list the ML 16817, so that be why I aint running it.

I explained what was going on to the guy and he asked why I didn't just buy the motorcycle oil filter.

Purolator Powersports, ML 16817 is the one listed for our bikes, and it is concave, so I bought two, and it says on the box Anti-drain back valve minimizes engine dry start.

There is at least one write up by another member who dissected several filters and determined their motorcycle filter was inferior quality. I believe it was similar to the Yamaha factory filter in (lack of) quality. I don't recall the reason(s).

Some of us like the 14610 filter because it is 3.52" long as opposed to the one you mention 2.95. More filter area. I just checked advance and they dont list the ML 16817, so that be why I aint running it.

I checked the ones close to me, Autozone and O'Reily, and not on either website. Found it on Amazon for $10+ and on eBay. EBay seems to be the way to go. So, guess I will order me a couple of them.

ML16817 on EBay

• 10 months later...

Wish I'd read the 2 purolator filter posts before this weekend. Ran into the same exact "convex, concave" problem and ended up going with the more expensive M1-110.

Thanks for the new number Du-Rron. Although wondering if staying with Purolator is a smart move. I think that the Pure one is a good filter though sooo...

On another note it looks like they've changed the design of the outside of all their filters, however. The yellow Pure-one is history being replaced by a blue painted one. I don't know if they've made other, interior, changes. They now have 3 levels. The regular, pure-one and the "boss". It would be interesting to see how they compare to the older filters and if we're going to need to look around for a replacement filter.

I'm also wondering if Du-Rron happened to get a "good" PL14459 filter with a concave thread area that was made before they changed the design of that one to convex. In other words, if you go with that filter check first as to how the thread area is made before you buy!!

Edited by gibvel
add last sentence

Just got off the phone with Brian Crawford from Purolator. Here's the scoop. The plate was changed because of problems with the owners of certain cars not installing or not being able to install the filter correctly. The thread plate was changed to solve the problem. It was only changed on the 14610 and 14612 models of the purolator line. The PL14459 was NOT changed so it should still be a valid filter to use.

He also mentioned that if you go with a Bosch distance you shouldn't have the same problem. He also said that the thread plate of the Purolator "BOSS" filter, PLB14610 and PLB14612, was not changed either (although I would still check this before purchase).

As far as the engineering changes on the "New" Pure-one filters. He said that the internal media has been changed to keep up with the extended mileage between oil changes. The capacity will be greater. He speculated, and speculated only, that the newer shorter version of the pure-one has the capacity of what the older longer version had.

That's what I got. Hope it helps someone.

And he didn't chastise me for running a car filter on a motorcycle!! :D

Just got off the phone with Brian Crawford from Purolator. Here's the scoop. The plate was changed because of problems with the owners of certain cars not installing or not being able to install the filter correctly. The thread plate was changed to solve the problem. It was only changed on the 14610 and 14612 models of the purolator line. The PL14459 was NOT changed so it should still be a valid filter to use.

He also mentioned that if you go with a Bosch distance you shouldn't have the same problem. He also said that the thread plate of the Purolator "BOSS" filter, PLB14610 and PLB14612, was not changed either (although I would still check this before purchase).

As far as the engineering changes on the "New" Pure-one filters. He said that the internal media has been changed to keep up with the extended mileage between oil changes. The capacity will be greater. He speculated, and speculated only, that the newer shorter version of the pure-one has the capacity of what the older longer version had.

That's what I got. Hope it helps someone.

And he didn't chastise me for running a car filter on a motorcycle!! :D

MAN am I impressed. You got to talk to a real live human. Thats rare.