IGNORED

Purolator Oil Filters - 14610 & 14612

I have recently heard of two reports of a Purolator PL14612 not screwing on far enough to make a complete seal. Seems to work ok on my RSV so far... I will keep an eye out.

The factory 5GH-13440-30 has a gasket to first thread depth of 0.300"

depth1.jpg

The Purolator PL14612 has a gasket to first thread depth of 0.235" which is 0.065" less than a factory filter, (I know the caliper is crooked in the picture but I measured it before I took the pic.)

depth2.jpg

I would suggest that you first make sure that the Union Bolt is tightened to 36 ft lbs and if you still can't get a seal it may be time to look for another filter.

ofmb.jpg

I have not yet had the chance to measure the depth of a PL14610. Anybody else have one they could look at and tell us?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also read those two reports of the PL 14612 that drips after install. I just put that filter on and have run several tanks of gas through the bike and see no leaking. When I see someone say that it stopped screwing in after it hit the gasket, I wondered if they put oil on the gasket before they installed it.

When I put mine on, it went on like any other oil filter, with oil on the rubber gasket before install. And gave it a little extra twist after it hit the gasket.

There are a number of reasons for a filter to leak/drip that have nothing to do with the filter itself. Maybe more to do with cleaning/lube/prep before install.

Hey just happened across this thread. I just changed my oil today. I had got a filter from Autozone it is a Bosch 3323, which is supposed to be a direct cross. But where these filters "dip" it is flat. It was a trick and a half to get it up and straight to get it threaded straight.

Hey just happened across this thread. I just changed my oil today. I had got a filter from Autozone it is a Bosch 3323, which is supposed to be a direct cross. But where these filters "dip" it is flat. It was a trick and a half to get it up and straight to get it threaded straight.

By "flat" do you mean that the gasket to first thread depth was

I dont know. I didnt measure it. But where he is showing the threads concave the Bosch is flat. I got up today and went out garage anad had a puddle of oil under it. I checked the emblems to make sure nobody swapped it out over night. Nope still a RSV. So I can only imagine not enough"pull" on it to seat? I also just back from the store and a brand new l14610. I cant even get it started on the threads. It hit the frame up above. So I dented the end of the can a little to see if I could get started. Nope want to cross. So now $12-14 into filters that dont work and I'm heading back to the store for a 3rd. MAN I do NOT want to put a fram MC filter on this.

I have used the long version since I bought the bike. I just got back from the parts store and got the shorter one and so far looks OK. Ran the bike 10 min and so far no leaks. But I didnt have any leaks yesterday either until it sat over night. I can say that I looked the Mobil 1-110 over and it appears to still have the "dished" threads. Sucks though, I have been running the very good gold Purolators for about $7 ea. To jump to the Mobil filter they jump to $13.

I have used the long version since I bought the bike. I just got back from the parts store and got the shorter one and so far looks OK. Ran the bike 10 min and so far no leaks. But I didnt have any leaks yesterday either until it sat over night. I can say that I looked the Mobil 1-110 over and it appears to still have the "dished" threads. Sucks though, I have been running the very good gold Purolators for about $7 ea. To jump to the Mobil filter they jump to $13.

Djh3:

You have brought many variables to the table and I am having a hard time keeping up. Please help us out.

You normally use a Purolator 14610(white)/PL14610(Yellow) filter but choose to go with a Bosch 3323 this oil change. Can you tell us why?

The Bosch 3323 left drips under the bike overnight. Did you see the gasket make contact with the base and were you able to give it another 3/4 turn?

Now that the Bosch 3323 is off the bike can you send us a pic of the top of it?

You then bought a new Purolator 14610(white)/PL14610(yellow) which is the filter that you have been using all along. However, this one was too tall to fit. Is the new filter taller/longer than your previous 14610(white)/PL14610(yellow) filter and if so can you stand them side by side and send a pic?

Now on the bike is a Purolator (14612(white)/PL14612(yellow)short) and did you see the gasket contact this time and were you able to give it another 3/4 turn?

Just for giggles, did you make sure that the Oil Filter Mounting Bolt was as far as it could go in by checking to see if it was torqued to 36 ft lbs?.

Please do not use a Fram....

Thank you for your help.

I will have to see if I can dig all the old filters out of the trash can. The reason I had the Bosch to start with is when I bought the Rotella Autozone had a special on the oils was lower prices, had a rebate and I think the filter was free or something.

Edited by djh3

OK sports fans. I dug thru the trash con for only you guys so I could take these.

Old-style-14610.jpgOld style 14610. Notice "dip" where threads on.

New-style-14610.jpgnew style more flat. Thus you dont have enough clearance to get straight shot to thread on.

Side-by-side-compair.jpgSide by side. Maybe this helps clear it up a little.

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Last weekend, I changed the oil for the first time on my "new to me" RSV. I bought a 14610 long white Purolator filter. I CAN"T get it started, it is a tad too long and hits the frame.

Drive to town and the store is out of the white 14612, so I spend the extra $$ and get the gold 14612. Installed on the bike, and I don't like the way it feels. As soon as the filter spins on and the gasket touches, it stops turning, feels like metal to metal.

I am a maintenance tech, am good with tools, and have changed oil a million times. OK, maybe a few less than a million.

I was concerned enough that I put a wrench on it to tighten it (which I never do). Next day, the bike had marked it's territory, badly.

I pulled off the filter, looked and couldn't see anything wrong, tried it again. Nope, wouldn't seal. So I put the old one back on, until I find one that fits right.

This thread has GOOD timing.

I measured the new Purolator gold filter, the distance from the top of the red gasket to the first thread is 0.350" . Are you measuring from the top of the gasket, or bottom? Our measurements don't jive, but your description of the problem is exactly what happened to me. My filter looks like djh3 's photo of the white filter. Do you reckon that Purolator put the tops on upside down?

Edited by oconeedan
error

I have recently heard of two reports of a Purolator PL14612 not screwing on far enough to make a complete seal. Seems to work ok on my RSV so far... I will keep an eye out.

The factory 5GH-13440-30 has a gasket to first thread depth of 0.300"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98562[/ATTACH]

The Purolator PL14612 has a gasket to first thread depth of 0.235" which is 0.065" less than a factory filter, (I know the caliper is crooked in the picture but I measured it before I took the pic.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98563[/ATTACH]

I would suggest that you first make sure that the Union Bolt is tightened to 36 ft lbs and if you still can't get a seal it may be time to look for another filter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98564[/ATTACH]

I have not yet had the chance to measure the depth of a PL14610. Anybody else have one they could look at and tell us?

I hve been running tht filter on my RSV for 110,000 miles with no problems

Cant even get them up in the space now. They hit and want to start cross threading. I put the short one on in gold one on. Ran about 180 miles today all seems OK. It tightened up fine for me. Contact and about 1/2 or 3/4 turn. I will probably cough up the coin for the Mobil 1 next time.

I had thoughts of taking a large socket, placing it over the center part there and giving it a whack. See if it would concave it. By the time I had made the 3rd trip to the parts store yesterday I was all out of fun and just bought one I was pretty dang sure would go on no fuss.

OK sports fans. I dug thru the trash con for only you guys so I could take these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98612[/ATTACH]Old style 14610. Notice "dip" where threads on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98613[/ATTACH]new style more flat. Thus you dont have enough clearance to get straight shot to thread on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98614[/ATTACH]Side by side. Maybe this helps clear it up a little.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. I am going to assume that those two filters are the PL14610 (yellow) and the L14610 (white). There is clearly a difference between the two. When I cut up a L14612 ( white-short filter ) http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96009-Oil-Filter-Comparisons-Hey-I-m-no-Engineer

the mounting plate was concave. There appears to be a difference now in the L14610 (white-long) & L14612 (yellow-short) mounting plates. The current L14610 (white-long) may be harder to fit as the plate is convex and will not funnel the Oil Filter Mounting Bolt to it, however it may still work as the mounting depth of gasket to first thread may still be the same.

Your old PL14610 (yellow-long) and the PL14612 (yellow-short) that I have on my bike now both seem to have concave mounting plates.

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Last weekend, I changed the oil for the first time on my "new to me" RSV. I bought a 14610 long white Purolator filter. I CAN"T get it started, it is a tad too long and hits the frame.

Drive to town and the store is out of the white 14612, so I spend the extra $$ and get the gold 14612. Installed on the bike, and I don't like the way it feels. As soon as the filter spins on and the gasket touches, it stops turning, feels like metal to metal.

I am a maintenance tech, am good with tools, and have changed oil a million times. OK, maybe a few less than a million.

I was concerned enough that I put a wrench on it to tighten it (which I never do). Next day, the bike had marked it's territory, badly.

I pulled off the filter, looked and couldn't see anything wrong, tried it again. Nope, wouldn't seal. So I put the old one back on, until I find one that fits right.

This thread has GOOD timing.

I measured the new Purolator gold filter, the distance from the top of the red gasket to the first thread is 0.350" . Are you measuring from the top of the gasket, or bottom? Our measurements don't jive, but your description of the problem is exactly what happened to me. My filter looks like djh3 's photo of the white filter. Do you reckon that Purolator put the tops on upside down?

If your PL14612 (yellow-short) has a top that now looks convex like the L14610 (white-long) then maybe Purolator mis-labeled some filters as the PL14612 (yellow-short) has always had a concave mounting flange. My measurement of 0.300" from gasket to first thread depth as shown at the beginning of this article was taken using a 4 lb pry bar atop the filter gasket (maybe 0.004" or 0.005" compressed from the weight) to the first thread depth and I was using the top of the thread to provide a minimum clearance number. However, your measurement of 0.350" would suggest a plenty of depth that would provide the ability to tighten the filter down all the way, while not hitting the Oil Filter Mounting Bolt that would impede sealing.

One of my suggestions is to make sure your Oil Filter Mounting Bolt is as far in as it can go by attempting to tighten it to 36 ft lb during your next oil change. I would find this dimension to be more of a variable than how Purolator makes oil filters.

When I screw my PL14612 (yellow-short) on, I have it on tight enough so that the gasket is compressed and that the metal of the filter can outside diameter is touching the Oil Filter Mounting Flange on the bike. You would have a hard time getting a 0.002" feeler gauge in there.

OilFilterInstalled.jpg

(I am really going to have to have a talk with the fellow that cleans that bike. It's filthy under there.)

Edited by Du-Rron

I had thoughts of taking a large socket, placing it over the center part there and giving it a whack. See if it would concave it. By the time I had made the 3rd trip to the parts store yesterday I was all out of fun and just bought one I was pretty dang sure would go on no fuss.

That won't work as the filter flange is about 3/32" thick and really unbendable. The tin can filter body will smash up before the mounting flange gives way.

Well thought I had this thing fixed, but using the short filter. Today had a very small amount of oil on ground after sitting all night. Say a spot 2 quarters big. So must be something to not being able to draw it down far enough.

Went by Wally World on my to run some errands. Did you know they dont handle the super tech oil filters anymore? So I ended up with a FRAM PH7317 It does have to concave threadded part and measures .254 to the top of where the thread starts.

Fram-filter-bike.jpg

I wrote an email to Purolator filters, and was a bit surprised by the "cold" answer I received. Hardly an acceptable answer, for someone that has been using their filters a long time, and recommending them. Whether it is in a motorcycle or a car or truck. I think I'll find another filter and move on. It was suggested to me on another thread to try a NAPA Gold filter, and I think I'll go in that direction.

I was not looking for a "freebie", refund, or anything other than an explanation of what could have gone wrong. A few bucks isn't the issue, a leaky bike (or worse) is.

Here is a copy of the correspondence, decide for yourself.

Dan

My email to them:

Dear Sir or Ma'am, I have been using your oil filters for a long time, well over 100,000 miles on my motorcycle. I have had no problems, and believe you make good filters.

Last weekend, I had a problem. I used a 14612 Purolator Gold filter on my 2006 Yamaha Royal Star, and could not get a seal. The filter spun on just fine, and as soon as the rubber gasket touched the engine casing, it stopped turning. It felt like metal on metal, and the gasket would not crush. It leaked badly, I removed it and looked for problems. Seeing nothing that looked obvious, I reinstalled it, and had the same problem.

I put the old filter back on until I could figure out what was going wrong. I later find out, that I may not be the only one with a problem.

I am "oconeedan" on this forum, and here is a link to the topic of discussion.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?100874-Purolator-Oil-Filters-14610-amp-14612

Their reply:

We do not recommend or catalog Classic filters to any motorcycle applications. These applications are covered by the ‘ML’ Motorcycle filter line. Due to the differences between motorcycle and passenger car engines, we do not warrant their usage on these vehicles.

Thanks,

James Murray

Associate Catalog Manager

MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC

155 Franklin Rd Ste 153| Brentwood, TN 37027

Phone: 615-377-1505 | Fax: 615-377-1520

James.Murray@pureoil.com www.mann-hummel.com

Edited by oconeedan
additional information

I bought a Bosch 3300 a few weeks ago and finally got around to installing it today. Same problem; as soon as the gasket was starting to make contact, the filter came to a hard stop and would go no more. Here's a pic of the yamaha filter I took off next to the Bosch. The oil filter bolt on my bike is all the way in; it just sticks out too far for this filter that is not concave. I guess I'll be looking for something with a concave surface tomorrow.

oil filters.jpg

I just finished installing the PL14610 (long yellow) with no problem. I purchased it at Advance Auto today. Their book specifies the ML number referenced a couple of posts back but that has been previously discussed in another thread as poor quality.

Even though I have always used the PL14610 I did purchase the PL14612 based on the discussion in this thread. I will return it tomorrow.

I'm not sure why I have always used the longer filter other than maybe it has more filtering capacity?? It is a little long put a simple tilt of it as I put it up into position does the trick.

If its got the dip in it like shown you will be OK. Other wise be ready for a puddle of oil the next day. I found it odd that it did not leak under pressure. But sitting static over night I had leakage, :confused24: Beats me 2 similarly built filters both short so I thought would snug up. They sure felt that way. So I gave up today and looked for 15 min at filters in Wally World. Settled on a FRAM :confused07: Not my first choice for sure.

As far as the ML purolator filters I dont think I have seen one.

Well thought I had this thing fixed, but using the short filter. Today had a very small amount of oil on ground after sitting all night. Say a spot 2 quarters big. So must be something to not being able to draw it down far enough.

Went by Wally World on my to run some errands. Did you know they dont handle the super tech oil filters anymore? So I ended up with a FRAM PH7317 It does have to concave threadded part and measures .254 to the top of where the thread starts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98651[/ATTACH]

Ichieee Waaa Waaa... a FRAM Filter?!?!?! a Fram PH7317 filter?!?!?!?!?

If you have a 2009 Royal Start Venture then Fram recommends a PH6017A. I do not know what a PH7317 fits.

PhramPH6017a.jpg

Please don't put this filter on your bike.

:95: