IGNORED

Purolator Oil Filters - 14610 & 14612

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just have to much time and effort invested in my bike to be trying to save a few bucks on oil filters. I ordered a half dozen from Yamaha. When those run out I will get more.

Mike

I find it funny in the motor cycle world we look down on other companies products but in Autos you will put anything in them you want. Maybe its based on cost, maybe perceived value but rarely ever do you take it to the dealer and let him put only original OEM spec products on your vehicle. Yet for a bike that is the only way to protect your investment? Then to look down or put down others for not buying OEM is kind of crappy. Its oil and filters not the heat deflectors on the Space shuttle, maybe lighten up.

I find it funny in the motor cycle world we look down on other companies products but in Autos you will put anything in them you want. Maybe its based on cost, maybe perceived value but rarely ever do you take it to the dealer and let him put only original OEM spec products on your vehicle. Yet for a bike that is the only way to protect your investment? Then to look down or put down others for not buying OEM is kind of crappy. Its oil and filters not the heat deflectors on the Space shuttle, maybe lighten up.

Corey. What you are saying is true. But I only use critical parts such as oil and air filters that are designed and specified for my car engine. Unlike the Purolator oil filters which Purolator recommends not be used for motorcycles. I have no problem with aftermarket accessories on motorcycles or automobiles. But why use an oil filter when the manufacturer of the filter recommends against it? Others can and I wish them the best but I will pass. I am not trying to slam you or anything it is just my opinion.

Mike

Corey. What you are saying is true. But I only use critical parts such as oil and air filters that are designed and specified for my car engine. Unlike the Purolator oil filters which Purolator recommends not be used for motorcycles. I have no problem with aftermarket accessories on motorcycles or automobiles. But why use an oil filter when the manufacturer of the filter recommends against it? Others can and I wish them the best but I will pass. I am not trying to slam you or anything it is just my opinion.

Mike

I do understand what you are saying. That said they don't recommend anything that they have not tested on that vehicle and will not recommend it for liability reasons. Filters are basically the same it boils down to some key features: # of pleats / surface area of the filter media, gasket footprint, flow rate, and the pressure setting in which it bypasses the filter.

When I look at it like that I find it shocking and absurd that the value of a filter cause they stamp Yamaha on the outside some how makes a 6 buck filter worth 15. Mind you that 15 bucks has less surface area than others. They get away with it because there isn't huge volume and almost zero competition.

Sorry if I came off as a dick (lack of sleep will do that).

On the other hand... I like being able to buy my oil and filters (that are better than Yamaha filters) at the same store where I am every week anyway buying twinkies, catfood, beer, and underwear. (Let that mental image soak in for awhile). I don't like having to make a special trip out to the motorcycle dealer to buy a high price inferior filter that could ultimately cost me $15,000 or $20,000 if I saw some new motor-toy on the floor that I liked on my way out with the Yamaha brand oil filter in my hand. (Costliest filter ever).