IGNORED

Conundrum...

Scenario: Been riding back and forth from south of Tucson to north central Phoenix for past couple of weeks (3). 70 to 75 mph..almost exactly 150 miles. All freeway. Spend the weekend and come home.

Get there and next morning have a puddle on ground. Coolant. Come back here...next morning...no coolant puddle? Each time.

So what's going on? Same temps within 5 to 8 degrees outside.

The only difference I can think of is I'm going from 3K feet altitude to 1600 feet (Phoenix) and back. So from high to low...leaks. Low to high doesn't leak.

BTW leak is coming from top of hose #3 and a tad from the by-pass valve. Got kit for renewing by-pass valve and checked top hose clamp...it's snug.

Fun things to ponder....

david

Hmmmmm......I'm thinking corrosion under the hose is contributing to the leak and the pressure change exaserbates it. Take the hose off and clean the inside of the hose plus the aluminum fitting.

Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Edited by Peder_y2k
spellcheck

Pete; did your spell check have that word "exaserbates" in it or did you look it up? My spell ck says it's "exacerbates"....hell; who cares!?~ I never thought I would I would see a 4 sylable word on line much less anywhere I hung out!:301:

It is a very common occurrence since it is not a leak when you go to Phoenix :biker:, it's your bike telling you it's "pissed" that you keep dragging it to that hell hole. :doh:

I thought about that...but my Ex lives there and we are trying to resurrect our marriage! So...the Venture is just going to have to suck it up! (so to speak)

LOL!

I thought about that...but my Ex lives there and we are trying to resurrect our marriage! So...the Venture is just going to have to suck it up! (so to speak)

LOL!

Add the jealousy aspect and I am surprised it's not puking oil too ! :biker:

• 1 year later...

Well, it's official. Been two years but finally got the 89 1st gen back to Phoenix yesterday. Great ride.

But this morning, she marked her spot with coolant. She really doesn't like Phoenix!!

Guess I better hurry and replace tires on VStar 950.... So I can bring the Blue Beastie home to Green Valley!

The difference in the pressure in the cooling system and outside will be greater at the higher elevation, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would leak at the lower elevation and not the high. Also, at the lower elevation the air would be denser and would cool the radiator better and maybe keep the engine cooler??

The difference in the pressure in the cooling system and outside will be greater at the higher elevation, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would leak at the lower elevation and not the high. Also, at the lower elevation the air would be denser and would cool the radiator better and maybe keep the engine cooler??

Agreed. Hence the conundrum.

She doesn't leak after a run in Green Valley, and I'm at 3k feet elevation at my house there vs 1600' ish in Phx.

Edited by videoarizona
Altitude change. Different than an attitude change!!

Agreed. Hence the conundrum.

She doesn't leak after a run in Green Valley, and I'm at 3k feet elevation at my house there vs 1600' ish in Phx.

After thinking about this some more, I think I understand. The radiator cap relieves at say 15 psi. That is actually a 15 psid or differential between the cooling system and atmospheric pressure. When atmospheric pressure is higher at the lower elevations. The cap will add 15 psi to the atmospheric pressure for the cooling system and the pressure inside the cooling system will actually be higher at the lower elevation than higher elevations. And could conceivably cause a leak at lower elevations and not at the higher elevations.

After thinking about this some more, I think I understand. The radiator cap relieves at say 15 psi. That is actually a 15 psid or differential between the cooling system and atmospheric pressure. When atmospheric pressure is higher at the lower elevations. The cap will add 15 psi to the atmospheric pressure for the cooling system and the pressure inside the cooling system will actually be higher at the lower elevation than higher elevations. And could conceivably cause a leak at lower elevations and not at the higher elevations.

Bill, you may be on to something. Makes sense to me. Mystery solved, IMHO!! :cool10:

I know with O rings our scoots have a tendency to leak once in a while, maybe the O ring is shot..... That would be a simple fix.

Thanks. I'm not going to worry about it until I get the 89 back home. Add this to my list!

Good try, but all the cooling system knows is the pressure differential created by the radiator cap relative to its surroundings, which is PSIG. PSID is when you need the pressure differential between two points where neither is at a hard vacuum or atmospheric pressure.

You could have a million and 15 PSIA inside of the engine as long as it was in a room that had a million PSIA and it still should not leak because there is still only 15 PSIA or PSID or PSIG on the seals. PSIA is pressure relative to a theoretically perfect vacuum.

Sorry but the mystery continues.

The point where the seals decide to pee on the floor seems to be a very critical temperature. That critical temp varies from bike to bike, probably due to individual tolerance stack up and age / condition of the parts. But can literally be if the temp drops 5 more degrees it will pee.

Or the bike just don't like being parked in one place.

Fun things to ponder....

david

No answer for you here, but I had a similar problem a long time ago when I had a Harley. The garage floor was spotless under the bike with no signs of a leak. At work, more often then not, there would be a little puddle of oil under the bike. One day the puddle was red?!?!? Come to find out my buddies at work were messing with me by putting a little oil under the bike. The day it was red was when they used transmission fluid to dribble under the bike cause they ran out of oil.

Good try, but all the cooling system knows is the pressure differential created by the radiator cap relative to its surroundings, which is PSIG. PSID is when you need the pressure differential between two points where neither is at a hard vacuum or atmospheric pressure.

You could have a million and 15 PSIA inside of the engine as long as it was in a room that had a million PSIA and it still should not leak because there is still only 15 PSIA or PSID or PSIG on the seals. PSIA is pressure relative to a theoretically perfect vacuum.

Ah,man...I was happy with the previous thoughts. Regardless. I believe it's just older gaskets and O rings and not dangerous... Just an annoyance. Extreme temp differences within short periods of time, which we get in Arizona, will cause this problem with older parts.

I'm going to consider it a positive.... My 89 is talking back to me!

Edited by videoarizona
Spell check got me again

The point where the seals decide to pee on the floor seems to be a very critical temperature. That critical temp varies from bike to bike, probably due to individual tolerance stack up and age / condition of the parts. But can literally be if the temp drops 5 more degrees it will pee.

Or the bike just don't like being parked in one place.

Yes, you are correct and I thought of that after I posted. But, that assumes the radiator cap which is a crude pressure control device will work the same no matter what the atmospheric pressure is.

For example a car's cooling system will run cooler with a larger radiator even though the thermostat is the same. When I installed a large transmission cooler in series with the internal to the radiator factory transmission cooler on my 95 Mark VIII, the engine ran cooler according to the in dash gauge using the same OE thermostat which is also a very crude temperature controller.

Forget PSI and ratios. get a level check the floor at both locations I'll bet money that while both floors appear level, something is tricking your eye and the bike is leaning an inch or so more at the lower at one location.

Lots of place where cars mysteriously roll up hill, with a good level and transit the find the the surrounding terrain fools the eye and the vehicle is actually going downhill.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spook_Hill

when you park at the place where it doesn't leak. drive it up on some scrap 1" x 6" and then put the kick stand down and see if it leaks then.

Just my 2 cents (inflation adjusted to $.0007)

Ok now I have a kind of related question. I live up on a pretty good sized hill, Neosho also sits on a plateau. Now I have noticed something up on this hill the trees and such will blow like crazy but my wind speed has never went above 25 and it is quite breezy, Now when I go down to the bottom of the hill It seems like the wind is speeds up, well I know it does but when I head back to my house as I climb the hill I notice the wind change to seem lighter. What causes this because I would think being on the top of a hill I would feel the wind more then at the bottom?:think: