IGNORED

Seats for 2nd gen Venture

Spring is in the air and riding season is here ( at least in South Texas ). Last week the wife and I went up to Wimberly for a day trip. Round trip we put about 500 miles on the bike. The trip up was fine but the ride back I started getting sore. Even a 2 hour stop in San Antonio for dinner on the river walk didn't offer any real relief. Wifey did't complain much because all she had to do was sit there and look pretty. Which brings us to the meat and pataos of this thread... I' considering an aftermarket seat. I had a '01 Roadstar and I put a Mustang seat on it. It greatly improved the comfort. Turned the bike from a 45 mile a day ride to a 300 mile a day ride. However, Mustang does not make a seat for my Venture. You would think that they would considering the popularity of this bike. So that limits me. I'm thinking Corbin, but I've never had one before. If any one has any experience with them please let me know.:confused24:

Every butt is different. Corbin's are rock hard and some people swear by them and others curse them.

There are a few threads here where people have reshaped the seats to fit them better. They've used different density foams. I have used sheep skins and those helped on the old style rock hard RSV seats. I also used the Butt Buffer on the old seats and that helped. The Butt Buffer gel pad can be installed internally also. And then there are the bead riders.

You're going to have to do what the rest of us do and try stuff until something works. For us we bought the pillow top seats that the new RSV come with and have looked back.

:biker::usa::checkeredflag:

You will get a Love Or Hate them on this subject..I have a Corbin..They are a hard seat and regardless of what ANYONE tells you it does not get broken in at 3-4000 miles,you just get use to it.I needed it as I sweated to much on the other seat and it really was hard on the personal business.Now,my opinion I loved it from the start and still do,however my wife hated it so I had an upholstery shop rip the back seat forward to the driver seat,scrape out the hard foam and reinsatll a softer memory foam that really holds up well. The result,We are both very happy. Now next time you get to the Wimberly area call me and take mine for a good ride and you will see if you are going to like it.

Spring is in the air and riding season is here ( at least in South Texas ). Last week the wife and I went up to Wimberly for a day trip. Round trip we put about 500 miles on the bike. The trip up was fine but the ride back I started getting sore. Even a 2 hour stop in San Antonio for dinner on the river walk didn't offer any real relief. Wifey did't complain much because all she had to do was sit there and look pretty. Which brings us to the meat and pataos of this thread... I' considering an aftermarket seat. I had a '01 Roadstar and I put a Mustang seat on it. It greatly improved the comfort. Turned the bike from a 45 mile a day ride to a 300 mile a day ride. However, Mustang does not make a seat for my Venture. You would think that they would considering the popularity of this bike. So that limits me. I'm thinking Corbin, but I've never had one before. If any one has any experience with them please let me know.:confused24:

Do you have the regular or the pillow top now? I personally don't like Corbin seats,, just to hard for me.. I have the pillow top and have done over 500 miles in a day no problem and don't plan on changing it. But back on my old Kawasaki the stock seat was terrible and I replaced it with a Rick Mayer.. this seat was fantastic. Both firm and soft, you send him your seat, he uses the bottom of the stock foam to make sure the fit to the frame is proper, then uses layers of different density foam. http://www.rickmayercycle.com/ I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed a different seat.. Unfortunately he can be quite slow, the time to send him a seat is the beginning of the off season.

A few people have seats from Day Long Saddles and they are really happy with them. Expensive but comfy. They are custom made and you have to give them your seat's so they can use the pan.

Also at the big bike events like Daytona, Myrtle Beach, and Sturges, and I'm sure others Mustang will actually make you a seat using your seat pan while you wait. At least they were last year.

Guest JGorom

I really like the Corbin but as someone else already stated...the wifey hates it.

It truly does boil down to personal preference and then what the wifey says. :)

You might get with Rick Butler, he has worked the seats over on several Ventures and I have read some real good things about his work. I haven't had my seats reworked yet, but am considering it. Rick has an add in the classified adds, just charges $50 plus shipping to do both seats.

You might get with Rick Butler, he has worked the seats over on several Ventures and I have read some real good things about his work. I haven't had my seats reworked yet, but am considering it. Rick has an add in the classified adds, just charges $50 plus shipping to do both seats.

Yep I had Rick re-do my 1st gen seat, he did a great job, made a world of difference for my wife. I wouldnt hesitate to let him re-work a seat again. He is great with the turn around time as well. Craig

Everyone will like something different in seats. A lot of folks like the pillow tops. They seemed like such a holy grail, so I tried a set, but they would just about kill me. I wound up with the Corbin Dual Tour seat which fit me beautifully right out of the box, no breaking in needed.

I love my Corbin and my wife likes it OK. It did require a breakin period of about 3,000 miles. I think I like the Corbin as well as the Mustang I had on my 97 royalstar but my wife still liked the Mustang better. We ride 4 to 600 miles a day while touring and it is no problem. The Sheepskin really helps with a little padding and mostly reduces perspiration and keeps the seat cooler during summer and warmer during the winter. I recommend it regardless what seat you decide on. Good luck!

I have a Roadsofa. Its about the same as a Corbin. A hard seat. If you want to give it a try let me know and we can put it on your bike and you can try riding it for a few hours like that. Its silver and gray so I'm pretty sure you don't wouldn't want to leave it on it but it will give you an idea of how a Corbin or any of the harder seats feel. I don't use it anymore after I modified my pillow top and had it recovered.

I have the pillow tops on my `01 and love them, I have found that I have a few pairs of jeans that I can not wear when riding as they are Indian pants and creap up on me.. the problem we have is that the wife feels like she is slipping forward into me, has any one had this problem and is there a way to lift the front of the back seat to make her slip back instead of forward???

I have the pillow tops on my `01 and love them, I have found that I have a few pairs of jeans that I can not wear when riding as they are Indian pants and creap up on me.. the problem we have is that the wife feels like she is slipping forward into me, has any one had this problem and is there a way to lift the front of the back seat to make her slip back instead of forward???

I added a driver's back rest and my wife does not have that problem. I added the back rest right away so not sure if she would have had that problem without or not.

Go to "meancitycycles.com" and see what Allen has to offer. Me and several of my friends have used him for various seat reworks. I think he has it set up now as appointments to get your seat done. As of now, my new RSV seat fits me ok. Best of luck to you cause if you hurt, the ride ain't worth it.

MIKE aka Uturn

You may want to check out the AirHawk seat pad. I have a 2000 RSV with stock seats and find the Airhawk keeps me comfortable for as many miles as I want to put on. Completed an Iron Butt SS1000 and BB1500 last year with it. Expensive, but worth it for me. However, much less than a custom seat.

RR