IGNORED

Newbie's first ride

noworriespete

I just bought a 84 venture and, being young and stupid, had to take it out to *try* it out the next day (its still around freezing up here in Wisconsin). So after I got used to such a big bike, I was hammering up through the gears and, in fourth gear, the engine sped up faster than the bike. The clutch was slipping. It did this again, going up a hill shifting into second gear.

I dont think I missed releasing the clutch before hitting the gas, I have driven a lot of smaller motorcycles in the past...

Is my clutch going? If not, have I done so much damage to it that it will go out soon???

I know this isnt good, but how worried should I be?

Also, the guy who sold me the venture insisted that everyone takes them all the way to the red line, and some beyond, no problem. Is this true???

Guest Swifty

go to VR tech, click on engine and drivetrain...many members with that bike have had to replace 2nd gear, and some others put in an after market clutch with a tighter boss spring.

Welcome to the site...I'm sure many more will respond to your query.

Hi and welcome here on the Site.

To be humble, even when most other Guys say, just replace the Springs, i'd suggest to replace the Friction Plates while the Clutch Cover is open. No big Job, Costs are not an Arm and a Leg and you'd be fine for the next Years. If the Clutch slips in cold Temperatures, i will not get better when the Oil is hot and Spring Time os coming....

Also, when the Maintenance History of the Bike is unclear, change at least Motor Oil, Filter and Plugs. Check Airfilter and blow it out with compressed Air.

With over 4000 members, I would bet that the same questions have been asked at least a 1000 times or more, so go ahead and ask, there are no stupid questions, but, with this group here you might get some pretty stupid answers before you get the right one....................:rotf::rotf:

And watch out for a guy they call the Muffinman, He thinks he knows it all..............

Oh thats right he does:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Welcome to the site............

Im glad to hear its an easy fix... I guess you guys are going to have to deal with answering some obvious questions for a while. Thanks a ton for the answers, and thanks for the welcome.

Pete

ON my 86 I never went past Redline, but many others do (Eh Charlie), without problems.

ON the slippage, I agree with the spring getting weaker, but it could have been because of the oil used previously. It may have had friction modifiers in it with has glazzed the plates. So make sure you use the correct oil after you change them. (another question coming :rotf:)

If your not replacing them I believe you can lightly sand them, but if this is the case personally I would probably change them.

PS Welcome to the site and watch out for that Freebird Character, he may start playing his guitar and singing. :sign20:

Brad

I've got an 84 like yours, you just discovered how much power these "old" Bikes have! I was worried at first also, but it sounds like the clutch is just busting loose with heavy right hand and a lot of torque to the wheel. Bet it doesn't slip under medium or lower throttle, does it? Nothing to be worried about right now, but would do the repairs listed above. Also, if you ever "get on it" in second gear and it jumps on you (slipping out and back into gear), you are in the beginning stages of the dreaded "second gear failure" syndrome these early bikes are famous for. Will be fine for a long time if you don't bust it loose with the throttle in 2nd gear, third is just as much fun at higher rpm's (I was told that 5500 rpm @ 65 mph was takin it easy!!!!). These bikes are durable and fun to ride. You just gotta look out for those 2nd genners, they're always trying to out do us 1st genners. Look forward to seeing you on here.

Dan

You may want to check back with the person you bought it from & find out what oil he used in it. It may be as simple as changing to the right oil. MC specific oil, Diesel oil.[not a synthetic unless it has been used before-gasket leaks] & not oil desined for autos as you have a wet clutch. :canada::canada::canada:WELCOME TO THE GREATEST SITE re VENTURES

I've got an 84 like yours, you just discovered how much power these "old" Bikes have! I was worried at first also, but it sounds like the clutch is just busting loose with heavy right hand and a lot of torque to the wheel. Bet it doesn't slip under medium or lower throttle, does it? Nothing to be worried about right now, but would do the repairs listed above. Also, if you ever "get on it" in second gear and it jumps on you (slipping out and back into gear), you are in the beginning stages of the dreaded "second gear failure" syndrome these early bikes are famous for. Will be fine for a long time if you don't bust it loose with the throttle in 2nd gear, third is just as much fun at higher rpm's (I was told that 5500 rpm @ 65 mph was takin it easy!!!!). These bikes are durable and fun to ride. You just gotta look out for those 2nd genners, they're always trying to out do us 1st genners. Look forward to seeing you on here.

Dan

It only slips at full throttle... good call. I plan on changing the oil and anything else you guys recommend, and I now have a new problem: the back right blinkers are out, and aren't getting any current (the bulbs are fine). This 84 has had the 86 saddlebags installed... Is there a specific spot to start looking for a bad wire, or am I going to have to deconstruct whatever has been cobbled together in the rear end to find it?

Thanks

Pete

The previous owner was using 10w40 Valvoline auto oil... he recommended it to me...

Congrats on the new (old) bike. I bought my '86 late last summer and have enjoyed the heck out of it.

About that clutch, good advice on the springs and do go ahead and change the oil using motorcycle specific oil of the correct weight. There is a good tech section here, if you don't have your owners manual.

About the rpm's, I bought my Yamaha because I run a car club for cars with Yamaha engines (SHO Taurus) and I love their (Yamaha) engine work!

Those SHO engines also like to see a redline once in a while, but please remember this, that any engine taken to redline (and especially beyond) will shorten it's useful life. The royale has lots of torque, and unless you are at the drag strip, there is little to gain in going to redline. Most engines are dropping HP and torque big time well before redline.

Redline is the max you should see, NOT the recommended shift point, even at the drags. If you get a chance, take your bike to a dyno shop and you will see what I mean.

Plus, at prices predicted to reach $4 per gallon, running any vehicle hard all the time is costly in the extreme. You can enjoy your Royale, and get lots of jollies at less than 100% throttle, and that clutch will probably behave normally for some time if you just ride normally.

Enjoy and welcome.

It only slips at full throttle... good call.

The previous owner was using 10w40 Valvoline auto oil... he recommended it to me...

Pete I believe you should change that oil as soon as possible. Typically the Auto oil has friction modifiers in it which is not good for the the wet clutch.

The oil to use is pretty much any that does not say energy conserving. (this is still a matter of opinion).

Look on the back of the oil bottle for thh circle and read the info there. Look at the two pics, the one that say Energy conserving is not good for the clutch.

Brad

These will do it, as far as being the correct clutch springs right?

Where can I get the gasket I need also....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300164495004&rd=1

Pete

Those will work fine, there are several dealers that are in our preferred vendors list that you can order a gasket from if you like

:happy34:

Yup they are different. But you could do the clutch plate conversion, on the 1300 motor, if desired.

I should have worded it differently, I meant to say pressure plate conversion. I had not yet had a coffee, when I posted this above.

Since then I left Sarges46 location in Manitoba & now, back in Wainwright Alberta. This is about 10 hours driving time (one way), with only stopping for fuel, about 4 tanks of gas round trip in the truck.

Pete- First I was going to butt in and then thought the better of it.... and then said wht the hell....

Before you go into a major rebuild of your clutch, and this has been discussed many times on the board before, bleed the clutch and check to see if the very small opening (VERY IMPORTANT) in the reserve is clear. You can change the discs..:mo money:change the plates :mo money: rebuild the master :mo money: change out the fluid, and the clutch will still slip because..... when the clutch fluid heats up and expands it can't get back into the reserve with a plugged expansiion hole and it will start to apply pressure on the clutch push rods and it will be the same thing as squeezing the lever. The first place the clutch will start to slip is in high gear at high R's. The load on the clutch isn't as much in the lower gears. As the fluid gets hotter it'll get worse. I suspect that because you're riding in very cold weather the fluid isn't expanding as much as it would in the hotter summer months. It doesn't cost anything but a can of Dot 3 to bleed the clutch...and the brakes while you're at it. This is the first thing any new owner should do when buying a new2them bike. After this if it still slips break out the wallet....

....................................... It doesn't cost anything but a can of Dot 3 to bleed the clutch...and the brakes while you're at it. This is the first thing any new owner should do when buying a new2them bike. After this if it still slips break out the wallet....

I agree with Condor on all this except the DOT 3. Go ahead and get the Valvoline Synthetic. It's called SynPower. :thumbsup2:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/TMagEnterprises/Extra%20Junk/VR006Small.jpg