IGNORED

Laying down a first gen

Flyinfool

I need to get at the bottom of my '88 Standard.

If I gently lay it down on the right side will it stop going down when the crash bars hit the ground or will it still go all the way till the corner of the faring is on the ground?

I will be doing this over nice soft lawn. If it only goes to the crash bars and will stop there that will be fine for what I need to get at I would really rather not risk putting all of that weight onto the 27 year old plastic faring.

Plan 2 will be to use my shop crane to tilt it over to were I need it so it will not go all of the way down.

I never intentionally knocked a bike over before. Picking it back up is the easy part.

When I had a 'stop and drop' on dirt last August, the bike stopped playing turtle when the crash bars touched the ground. Didn't even tweak the mirror.

Yup. And you can gently lay in down the same.

I have a 91 and I had mine over in a nice soft yard. My front yard. The chrome guard around the box and the crash bars keep everything off the ground. Nothing was hurt except my pride and I will try and think up a excuse why I put it there.......:whistling:

I have picked up a couple of first gens for other people. Getting it back up is not my worry. Getting it down and back up without breaking anything is my worry.

Yeah, I nearly busted a gut trying to keep the loaded, passenger laden beast up, but it finally got the better of me and I ended up bailing about the time it was touching the guards.

Definitely harder to lay it on its side 'gently' than picking it up.

That's what I said to Debbie, anyway.:whistling:

As I lay on the ground next to her.

We actually cuddled for a bit while I tried to figure out how to get the thing back on two wheels while the trailer was hitched

and the trunk was full,

and the trunk rack was loaded,

and the tank bag was full,

and the slippery gravel was acting like ball bearings,

and the slope was downhill to the right,

and the bike was laying on its right side,

and the seat was down to about my knees,

and...

Edited by Prairiehammer

If I gently lay it down on the right side will it stop going down when the crash bars hit the ground or will it still go all the way till the corner of the faring is on the ground?

I will be doing this over nice soft lawn. If it only goes to the crash bars and will stop there that will be fine for what I need to get at I would really rather not risk putting all of that weight onto the 27 year old plastic faring.

Plan 2 will be to use my shop crane to tilt it over to were I need it so it will not go all of the way down.

I never intentionally knocked a bike over before. Picking it back up is the easy part.

What do you think you own a Victory Vision. It has been my experience that once the 1st gen bike leans past the 5 degree angle of lean the thing hits the ground and you can count on broken, cracked and scratched upper fairing along the right side edge below the mirror . No matter what kind of ground it falls on. 9 times out of ten it it falls on it's right side the crash bar will damage the water pump tube. and the mirror will be damaged too.

Don't do it.:thumbdown:

A bit more trouble but might be an alternative. Centerstand the bike. Tie centerstand forward to a crash bar. Put couple sacks of salt on back seat. Pop calipers off and tie up. Pull front axle and front tire. Push down on front end and it will pivot on centerstand until front forks touch down. Can remove one sack of salt and it will kneel over and raise back up easily. With both sacks strapped on it will not stay kneeling.

JB

Plan 2 would be my choice.

Find something softer but solid for the crash bars and you'll be just fine, if you lay it over by accident or in a big hurry so to speak, it might go all the way using the mirror for deflection,,,, ya I know, been there done that!!! and it takes more than once to become experienced.

Find a tree branch low enough to toss a rope over, make a loop and attach a comealong, take two bike straps attach one to the rear grab hand on the side that is gonna be pointing up ward. Make a wrap around the handlebar that is gonna be pointing downward toward the bottom of the bar.. Attach the hoods of ratcheting end of the straps into the hook on the comealong, tighten the straps up with the ratchets. Lower the bike down with the comealong.. do your work and lift it back up with the comealong...

Use to do it all the time,, until I bought my lift from Harbor Freight

DSCN3264.JPG

I have laid my bike down three times on purpose and zero times by accident. What I found was, to keep it level, the front engine guard needs to be shimmed up by a 2X4 or two to match the saddlebag guards. I don't recall having any issue with the fairing plastic being even close to contacting the ground. Remember, this is not dropping it but laying it down which are two very different scenarios. I don't think it is a particularly good idea to lay it down on a grassy surface which might not support the weight being applied to the engine guard contact point.

When in the process of laying it down in my shop, I was able to slide a 2X4 under the guard with my foot. Not so sure that would have been as easy on grass.

I guess it will be plan 2 then. Just to be safe.

There is no issue with the shop crane being able to lift the bike, its rated 4000 lbs.

The only issue is dragging the shop crane up and down the basement steps. I'm old, and the wolves are after me.....:backinmyday:

I am thinking one strap around the triple tree and the other around the grab rails

NO I am not riding the bike down the basement steps to get it closer to the crane.....:whistling::bang head:

Month or so ago i got a good taste of 70 - 80 MPH winds out at where I'm at. Bike was outside with a full cover on it. Knocked it over and slid it sideways on the limerock drive so it was wedged under the back bumper of the camper.

Got a neighbor to help me drag it backwards to get it away from the camper and stand it back up.

The only real damage was the windscreen where it slammed the bumper.

Not a scratch on the fairing or the mirror. Ive been down on the bike on these rocky muddy roads now twice and the only damage I've had to deal with was the two chrome grilled covers for the mini baron lights on the rear bumper. Lens was undamaged.

So i got to say the tip over protection on these old girls was pretty well designed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/epunaram.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/guqagepu.jpg

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Awwwwww.... and it was just starting to sound like it was going to be fun!!! :stickpoke:

If you wish to ride YOUR bike down my basement steps I will be glad to hold the video camera and your beer for you. I've never been a good member of the fun police.

Month or so ago i got a good taste of 70 - 80 MPH winds out at where I'm at. Bike was outside with a full cover on it. Knocked it over and slid it sideways on the limerock drive so it was wedged under the back bumper of the camper.

Got a neighbor to help me drag it backwards to get it away from the camper and stand it back up.

The only real damage was the windscreen where it slammed the bumper.

Not a scratch on the fairing or the mirror. Ive been down on the bike on these rocky muddy roads now twice and the only damage I've had to deal with was the two chrome grilled covers for the mini baron lights on the rear bumper. Lens was undamaged.

So i got to say the tip over protection on these old girls was pretty well designed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/epunaram.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/30/guqagepu.jpg

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Hey Snag,, I had that happen to me twice out in Wyoming before I figured out to park with the wind blowing against the side stand,,, then it happened again cause I forgot to find a big ol rock to put under the stand,,,,,, man I hate when that happens:confused24:

Looks like you got off pretty easy having only takin out a windshield.. Dont take much to snap off mirrors, crack bags and fracture fairings with the tonnage impact of one our big ol heavy Ventures... GOOD LOOKIN MK1 there buddy!!

Were those pics recent and where at?

If you wish to ride YOUR bike down my basement steps I will be glad to hold the video camera and your beer for you. I've never been a good member of the fun police.

I am quite the daredevil and love a challenge. Agreed. I will ride your bike. Ya got beer? Before and after stairs would be great! :cool10: